Notary Rotary
PC or MAC ?
Notary Discussion History

PC or MAC ?
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Cathy Landre on 1/14/12 7:32pm
Msg #409066

PC or MAC ?

I am just curious as to how many notaries use a MAC and not a PC. I love my MAC but I do have issues when it comes to downloading and printing documents some times. Currently I am looking to purchase a new printer and I am not sure what type/brand of printer to buy. I purchased a software program called pageseparator to make it easier and faster to print but it does not work with MACs so I am still struggling to solve that issues.

Also I will be needing to renew my E & O insurance and am interested to know who is the least expensive to purchase $100K for 4 years from.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/14/12 8:25pm
Msg #409069

***Also I will be needing to renew my E & O insurance and am interested to know who is the least expensive to purchase $100K for 4 years from.***

I don't know what the least expensive source of E&O insurance is, but NotRot is highly competitive. And I, along with other NotRot habitues and sons of habitues (I'll pause here to let that sink in) make it a point to get things like that through NotRot. Harry and his family have done a wonderful job with this site, continually expanding and improving its services. They are extraordinarily supportive of us and our industry, and I and many others try to return the favor. I certainly recommend you do the same.

Reply by Art_PA on 1/15/12 7:49am
Msg #409082

At least 1 e signing platform does not support Apple. One night I was at the borrowers home. He had a really big Apple desktop, and after many tries to access the documents, I called support and was told that they do not support Apple/MACs. Fortunately the borrower had a small PC laptop and we were able to proceed.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/15/12 12:06pm
Msg #409086

Hi Cathy. I have always had HP laptops and when my most recent HP laptop with the Vista operating system (that I had never really cared for) recently crashed, I thought "now is my chance to finally get that mac I have always wanted. After a lot of research, price comparisions, etc., it was brought to my attention that many of the lender, title agency, signing company documents do not download properly onto a mac computer. I purchased a very nice inexpensive HP laptop with Windows 7 and I absolutely love it.

As for the E&O insurance, I purchased mine through the National Notary Association because that is what one of my title companies suggested and it seemed to be relatively inexpensive. I am up for renewal this year and will be looking into the E&O that Notary Rotary offers as well.

Good luck to you Cathy.

Peggy

Reply by Hugh Nations Signing Agents of Austin on 1/15/12 12:29pm
Msg #409087

A suggestion

***As for the E&O insurance, I purchased mine through the Bleep Bleep Bleep***

If you are going to recommend or even suggest another agency or company that offers an identical product to what is offered on NotRot, it is best to do it by PM. It is a bit unsporting to use the NotRot site to advertise competing goods or services.

Many of us NotRot oldtimers are quite protective of Harry and his turf. We have him over for Thanksgiving dinner, offer to loan him our automobiles, make the sofa available to him when he's in the doghouse, and give him a shoulder to cry on when NotRot posters use his very own forum to undermine his business. After you've been around a while, you'll understand what a marvelous human being he is, and why his beatification is proceeding through the Vatican right alongside that of Mother Teresa. May He Live Forever With the Saints to Reign.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/15/12 2:41pm
Msg #409089

Re: A suggestion

Re "Saint Harry": I agree, don't post on NR in an attempt to find cheaper products elsewhere. Bad form. Additionally, the service here is unparalleled. You may find less expensive E&O somewhere else (I doubt it and if so not by much), but you're not going to get it in about 5 minutes, like I did. I needed fast proof of $100,000 E&O, and Mrs. Saint Harry had my receipt and policy e-mailed to me instantly.

Additionally, some recent poster complained that he ordered something from goMobile, which evidently stiffed him (which they did to me, too; I had ordered a product that NR didn't carry). I can't imagine that ever happening here. I got a football-field length box of biz cards from here, and Harry Jr, who evidently oversees that part of the business, was very accommodating in making some format changes. I've been ordering here for years ... only way to go.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/15/12 3:19pm
Msg #409091

Re: A suggestion

My bad. I never meant to step on anyone's toes. Thank you for the informtion. Like I said in my earlier post......my E&O comes up for renewal this year and I will definitely be looking into what Harry and his team have to offer. Thanks again.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/15/12 5:30pm
Msg #409096

One of the (good) problems with NR is

that they do not advertise their wares quite enough.

I think that most of the questions about stamps, journals, and insurance are made without a clue that they sell them.

Those of us who have been here for nearly a decade have watched the company evolve and have seen the sparse notes about the newest arrivals in notary needs. Since St. Mother Harry is our friend, we always read his posts. Noobs don't necessarily do that. I would endorse a regular email from them...but, that's just me.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/15/12 5:40pm
Msg #409098

Re: One of the (good) problems with NR is

Such good advice from all of you. After Hugh's post, I decided to spend my afternoon really getting to know this website and what all it has to offer. Wow.....lot's of great tools, information, and everything we need to run our business is offered right here on this very website. Thanks for enlightening me. I'm about due for a new stamp, and now I know where to come for one. There are so many options to choose from, that I will definitely be asking my fellow notaries which ones they like the best and why. I was thinking about getting business cards as well......and happy to see that they have those here too. I really think that the original poster who asked about E&O insurance had no idea that Notary Rotary offered that. I honestly did not until Hugh told us.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/15/12 7:51pm
Msg #409112

Another thing you'll find as a Premier Member...

Premier Members are also given very nice discounts on most of what is ordered here, so prices for tools are extremely competitive. And as others have indicated, the service and quality are impeccable.

Reply by Cathy Landre on 1/15/12 9:54pm
Msg #409117

Could still use some input on printers if you have a great one you can recommend.

Reply by MichaelB/IL on 1/16/12 12:53pm
Msg #409157

Hi Cathy,
I use a MAC and love it. I will never purchase a Windows based PC. I have lowered myself to install Windows 7 on mine (Partitioned from OSx). I use MAC OSx, but have the ability to switch to Windows 7 if I run into a situation where I need it. If you have a newer MAC you can do this with Bootcamp. It should already be on your computer. See a MAC genius if you have trouble. As for printers, I am currently using an HP Laserjet 8150n. It's a workhorse, and has worked faithfully for me for quite some time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.