Notary Rotary
Question
Notary Discussion History

Question
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Buddy Young on 1/5/12 1:25pm
Msg #408248

Question

I had an apointment today at 11:00. Borrowers have papers.

When I got there, no papers.

I call the SS and tell them the papers wern't there. He says there supposed to be there by noon.

I told him that I was supposed to confirm an 11:00 appointment. I said that I would wait for 20 minutes and if the papers wern't there and I had to come back there would be an additional $25 fee. I also told him that it was fortunate for them that I didn't have another appointment today.

Do you think that an additional $25 was appropriate? Was it enough?

It was only 5 miles from my house.

Reply by Alz on 1/5/12 1:35pm
Msg #408251

Question for you Buddy. Is it enough for you?

Does it really matter that it is only 5 miles from your office? Additionallly, what does your business model dictate in these situations?

I am sure you are going to receive a plethora of comments and responses, but it really boils down to how you run or intend to run your business.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/5/12 1:35pm
Msg #408252

Answer

Yes.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/5/12 1:41pm
Msg #408254

The correct terminology for "papers" is docs. Doc's, short for documents. I had to think twice about what you were talking about. lol

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/5/12 1:43pm
Msg #408255

Re: Sorry Linda, I'll try to be more politicaly correct next n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 1/5/12 1:55pm
Msg #408259

Re: Sorry Linda, I'll try to be more politicaly correct next

***The correct terminology for "papers" is docs.***

The correct terminology for "picky" is "picky."

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/5/12 4:44pm
Msg #408289

No apologies needed. n/m

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/5/12 1:53pm
Msg #408258

Seriously? n/m

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/5/12 5:45pm
Msg #408305

Oh Linda.....you crack me up......I was thinking the exact same thing. My little yorkie has her papers too.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/5/12 2:14pm
Msg #408261

When docs go directly to borrowers, you should always call to confirm they were received prior to your departure for the appointment. And the reason for that is that companies will try to get out of paying you a trip fee for something like this - it just pays to be proactive and protect yourself.

Reply by bagger on 1/5/12 2:28pm
Msg #408265

BS
I am hired to do a signing, and the SS or TC tells me that the BO's have the docs. If I show up and no DOCS, I upheld my end of the contract.
Somebody owes me.

Reply by bagger on 1/5/12 2:22pm
Msg #408263

1. I don't care about the distance, you wasted an appointment slot.
2. What difference does it make if you had another appointmemt or not?
3. Tiou were hired to perform a function, you were there to perform said function, you are owed your fee.
if they wnt you to finish the job, it's a new fee.

Reply by Pat/IL on 1/5/12 4:39pm
Msg #408287

$25.00 doesn't sound unreasonable for needlessly wasting your time, although informing your hiring party that you had no other appointments might cause them to discount the value of your time.

I think that, after learning the docs might not arrive until noon, I would have arranged with the borrower that he should call me when the docs arrive, and I would have gone out for some lunch or something.

If the conversation with your hiring party, with regard to additional fees and their good fortune that you had nothing else going on that day, occurred in the presence of the borrower, I think you acted somewhat unprofessionally in that regard.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/5/12 4:49pm
Msg #408292

Standard Operating Procedure: When confirming with

borrowers, leave it with them to call you when docs arrive. Adjust schedule to suit all.

"By noon" in the boondocks translates into "sometime today."

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/7/12 10:45pm
Msg #408456

Re: Standard Operating Procedure: When confirming with

I agree with you and Copperhead. I see it as self-protection - and courtesy for my client, who would no doubt appreciate it. They may not be the ones personally responsible for when the documents arrive and frankly, I'd rather know in advance. It seems that most companies aren't willing to pay much more than $25 for a trip fee anyway, and I'd rather have the time to do something else than waste my time and gas for that kind of money.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.