Notary Rotary
Secretary of State no help at all
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Carol Graff on 1/10/12 6:51pm
Msg #408664

I've called the SOS a couple of times with some important ques. and they were so vague with their answers. Just told me what page I could find it in the Notary Handbook, and that I might have to seek legal help for an answer. I Know NNA is not popular on this site, but at least they give me more definitive answers. So I have a couple of go-to notaries with vast experience I call--thank heaven for them. What are some of your exp. with SOS office?

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/10/12 6:57pm
Msg #408667

Carol,

Post your questions here on this forum. There are very experienced and expert notaries who frequent this forum and they can give you a good answer. There are also attorneys who post here.

It also serves as a learning experience for some of us as we sometimes run into unusual situations.

I've said before that there is no class or training out there that can prepair us for all the situations we encounter. The training is here on this forum.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/10/12 7:00pm
Msg #408668

My experience with OUR SOS?...I don't bother calling them

I get the same answer from FL SOS as you did..they refer me to an attorney.

I read our manual, read our statutes, try to figure it out for myself...and when all that fails I come here...

nod

Reply by Yoli/CA on 1/10/12 7:00pm
Msg #408669

A definitive answer from NNA does not make it the right answer. Tread cautiously.

Reply by Carol Graff on 1/10/12 7:03pm
Msg #408671

Yes, I do double ck on the NNA's answer. If I have time, I will post the questions here.
Sometimes it is so last minute that I need an answer right away. But this forum is invaluable to me. You are correct, Buddy. This is where I've learned almost everything important.

Reply by BobbiCT on 1/11/12 7:27am
Msg #408698

California Notary Public questions ...

Although not from CA, remember that your Secretary of State can only answer questions on notarial law ... not "signing agent" related questions.

Not a slam. Often, think your question through:
1) Is it on a specific notarial act that you are asked to perform (notary public) or
2) is it something to do with specific contents or format of a Will, Power of Attorney or within a loan or legal documents (outside the realm of notary and in the "signing agent" or "other independent contractor" realm)?

If #2 is the case, it is a "legal" question that the SOTS office cannot answer (even if the person on the other end of the phone knows the answer, liability issues going beyond their function and "legal opinion" come into play). You wear two hats: Is your question as a "notary public" or as a "signing agent"?

Reply by rengel/CA on 1/10/12 7:03pm
Msg #408670

Yep, vague and ambiguous answers all around at the SOS.

NNA will give you answers, but I've found that they are not always the correct answer. Frown

If you ask 3 different attornies, you'll get 4 different answers Wink

I always check the State Notary Handbook, check California law, and if I'm still not sure, there are a few go to Notaries on this board whom I trust will have the correct answer.

My .02

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/10/12 7:07pm
Msg #408675

I find the AZ SOS to be very helpful most of the time.

This is especially true if you ask questions at one of their free notary seminars.

Reply by roxierox/TX on 1/10/12 7:09pm
Msg #408677

I have been a notary since 1996 and a member of NNA since 2001. The NNA has been a great resource for me. Why is the NNA unpopular on this site?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/10/12 8:49pm
Msg #408687

Do a search here and you'll find the answer to your

question.

Reply by CJ on 1/11/12 10:36am
Msg #408708

SOS helpline is useless.

I've called the Secretary of State notary hotline just a couple of times. Both times I read the handbook carefully, but it did not answer my obscure question. When I got a hold of the SOS hotline, the bored-sounding young perosn on the other end basically just kept telling me to do what the handbook said (which was no help). Exasperated, I aksed, "Are you a notary? Did you take the notary test?" The answer: NO. Basically, they know less than I do.

Post you questions here: everyone falls all over themselves coming up with the most perfect answers. Smile

Reply by Jillian Hinrichs on 1/13/12 11:19am
Msg #408947

MO & KS SOS Very helpful N/M n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.