Notary Rotary
Slow day on NR and an interesting question to pose
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Lee/AR on 1/9/12 4:19pm
Msg #408559

Attended a seminar today on GLBA compliance issues. One thing mentioned was to never ever forward docs containing non-public personal info to anyone as that would be a violation of privacy policies.

The question my non-notary spouse then posed is: So, then why do some signing services insist upon your faxing these types of documents to them? Good question. Comments?

Reply by Saul Leibowitz on 1/9/12 4:42pm
Msg #408560

an answer?

They don't want you contacting the TC or the lender directly and:
they qc your work to see if they will give you more work;
they want the docs faxed to TC or Lender, if required, to come from the SS and not you;
those are my two best guesses.

Reply by jnew on 1/9/12 8:09pm
Msg #408571

Good question

This is a major pet peeve of mine. The title company and lender are concerned about violations of their privacy. Why do they allow the signing services to email document attachments to the signing agent? The SS violates the lenders privacy policy by doing this. To my understanding, most emails are not secure. I don't know if faxing is considered more secure than email. A lot of borrowers fax their picture id's to the lender or title company as well. I think that if the lender/title company really want to keep things secure, they should avoid using signing companies that violate security and contact the NSA directly.

Reply by John Tennant on 1/9/12 9:46pm
Msg #408577

Actually, the really secure method of transmitting the docs is by overnight shipment, and return by shipment, no fax backs, etc.

Why is this not done? Too many companies involved. (TC, SS, NSA, ETC.) Of course, they all want a piece of the pie. This was the norm many years ago and it was very efficient. The NSA could schedule the signings at the convenience of the buyers, most questions were already answered before the signing, and the buyers costs were at a minimum while the individuals doing the signings were paid a fair amount. Of course, the signing services would be taken out of the loop. Result, savings for everyone, more efficient signings, happier buyers, happy lenders, yep.

Will it ever get back to this. Unfortunately, not in my lifetime.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/9/12 10:47pm
Msg #408582

Exactly, John. n/m

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 1/10/12 10:03am
Msg #408593

BTW, this subject was recently discussed on Linkedin...

some interesting answers there too...

Lee, who was this directed to in particular, the lender, TC, nsa, all parties involved?

And where and who gave the GLBA seminar...curious?

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 1/10/12 11:26am
Msg #408602

Re: BTW, this subject was recently discussed on Linkedin...

http://lnkd.in/ar66Ys

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.