Notary Rotary
Stamp Disposal
Notary Discussion History

Stamp Disposal
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Carole Breckbill on 1/11/12 4:15pm
Msg #408762

Stamp Disposal

How does one properly dispose of a self-inking stamp so it can't be fraudulently used? Thanks!

Reply by jba/fl on 1/11/12 4:36pm
Msg #408763

Place under wheel of car - run it over. Problem over.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/11/12 4:42pm
Msg #408764

I always pull the rubber part off the stamp, take a single edge razor blade and cut it into pieces, put the pieces in the trash and recycle the plastic part.
I had to destroy all of PAW's notary seals - he had kept all of them from when he first became a notary!

Reply by ikando on 1/11/12 5:09pm
Msg #408769

Sylvia, that must have been difficult for you. Sorry you had to do it. Really miss his input.

Reply by LynnNC on 1/11/12 5:30pm
Msg #408773

Sounds like PAW to have saved all his notary seals, 'belts and suspenders' as he was!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/11/12 6:00pm
Msg #408776

Apparently PAW never threw anything away! Ann said he had drawers full of useless stuff that he never threw out (old rubber bands, auto maintence and repair rcords for cars he hadn't owned in years etc). Took her weeks to sort through his office.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/12/12 5:49am
Msg #408795

Harry, et al: While we are talking about Ann & PAW...

Sylvia and I have chatted about this on the phone.

I have been dismayed (a little bit) about not getting a note of thanks from Ann to share regarding the gift so many of you contributed to. Both of us are a little uncomfortable about not having one to share.

Sylvia gave Ann the funds that we raised and Ann was VERY grateful. However, a person in her position can overlook the obvious. I told Sylvia that although I sure wished she had not overlooked us and the wonderful contributions, etc. However, I have to reflect on when my own husband died suddenly.

I still feel quite embarrassed that my second cousin, a minister, drove 200 miles RT and did a wonderful job at his funeral and that I (1) did not give him a dime for doing it which is customary, and (2) did not send him a thank you note. It happens; you just forget things and don't realize that you should have done something.

I'm giving Ann a pass on this and hope that each of you who contributed know that she was overwhelmed and grateful...Sylvia and I are grateful, and you can know that you made Paul's widow's life a little bit better.

She was especially taken with the book of all of your condolences and the artwork.

Sincerely, Brenda and Sylvia

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/12/12 9:12am
Msg #408812

Re: Harry, et al: While we are talking about Ann & PAW...

Thanks Brenda
Ann was very grateful, and as I said to you on the phone she did ask me to thank everyone.
The book of condolences - I put a blue cover on the front and back, the first page was a copy of the candle tribute - Harry was kind enough to e-mail me a clear jpg of it, the second page was James artwork, and the rest were all the messages that had been posted to the forum.

She was overwhelmed, and most of you don't know, but she was - and still is -taking care of her elderly mother as well. Then her brother who was helping her had to go back home and he went into hospital with heart problems before he could come back down to Florida.
It hasn't been easy for Ann at all. They have a daughter who has severe disability problems and is (and will be for the rest of her life) in a residential care home in New Hampshire.
Paul never talked about his personal life in here. He was, like Ann, mostly a very private person.
I still miss him, but can remember him with smiles now instead of tears.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/11/12 11:00pm
Msg #408787

I've used a similar technique, except I used the edge of a good scissors to scratch some of the letters off the face of the rubber of the stamp, then cut it up. Did the job just fine.

(BTW, good to see you posting again, Sylvia!)

A little off topic:

The story of PAWs notary seals reminds me a little of my father (who was also a notary many years ago). We recently sold my parent's home and when cleaning it out, we found all kinds of minutia: tools, records, etc., neatly sorted and labeled in little boxes and file folders. It was like a step back in time. I even found two old Arizona embossers from his notary days. I also found lots of stuff that was of no use to anyone, so I've been on a mission every since to clean out my home! Wink

The good side of his (and his mother's) saving ways, though, was that we also rediscovered roughly 225 letters that he wrote home while he was a soldier during WWII. They start shortly after Pearl Harbor (he immediately enlisted) and continue throughout the war years until it was over. My niece and I have toyed with the idea of finding a way to make a book out of it some day, as he had quite a way with words. [It won't be any time soon, though! Wink] Who knows...

Reply by bagger on 1/11/12 4:47pm
Msg #408766

Next time you have a fire outdoors, sacrifice it to the fire Gods.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/11/12 5:12pm
Msg #408770

Use one of those Aim N' Flame lighters and melt the rubber. Do this outside as it can be very stinky.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/11/12 7:41pm
Msg #408779

The stamp should be defaced in any way that would make it useless to anyone should it ever be found..I like the answer to put in under the tires..

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/12/12 7:01am
Msg #408797

As others have said, the best way I have found is to scrape

or peel off the rubber imprint, cut it with scissors, and discard the actual stamp.

Embossers: It is hard to do, but take the imprint part of the seal and bend the two parts backwards so that the two sides snap off and separate. Discard the two sides in different trash cans, on different days, to make sure that the two piece don't wind up in the same place.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 1/12/12 9:38am
Msg #408814

Re: As others have said, the best way I have found is to scrape

Thanks Robert - for the info on the embossers. I have two of PAW's here and was wondering how to destroy them. (Of course I could have made them into earrings or pendants for myself LOL)

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/12/12 9:52am
Msg #408816

Many family members keep their loved ones embossers after

they pass. I don't see a problem with this, especially in Florida, where the embosser can't be used by itself to perform a valid notarization. I intend to leave my fancy brass embosser to my family, and direct that the other ones be destroyed. Being the notary fanatic I am, I have left detailed instructions in my will as to the disposition of my seals and journal. Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.