Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Tutorial for silencing unwanted SS calls.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Jessc098 on 1/26/12 9:12pm
Msg #409985

I've had it with junk phone calls.

Especially from Signing Services that can't calculate time-zones. "It's 8:00 a.m., I thought you'd be up?" "Ummm... that would be 5:00 a.m. here."

Especially from signing services that when ignored, continue to call relentlessly, regardless of if the job if 7 counties away ("if we increased the fee to $70 would you do it?" -- "Pardon me while I die laughing").

I've asked these bad apples to take me off their lists, but to no avail.

A while back I blocked some of these through the phone company, but it turns out Verizon only allows blocking for five months and only for five numbers, so everything started back at once (35 junk calls today, not a single voice-mail... I'm not even kidding).

I got online tonight and did some research to make them go away, so I thought I'd share it here in case anyone else would like to use it (or in case I upgrade my phone and want to somehow remember how I did that).

These instructions are for iPhone.

1. Download a "silent" ringtone from the app store (huge Apple fail for not including one).
2. Add "junk" numbers to your contacts.
3. Open the contact and click the "edit" button (top right)
4. Scroll down to "ringtone preference" and assign silent.

I'm looking forward to sleeping to a reasonable hour tomorrow. --Jess

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/26/12 11:58pm
Msg #409999

2 Easy Steps - No Tutorial or App Necessary

Step 1: Save phone number to your contact list and label it "NUISANCE"... or "DEADBEAT".... or "LOWBALLER"....or whatever name you wish to assign to that number.

Step 2: Go in to the pre-factory ringtone setting on your phone and choose "silent" ring.

DONE!

The phone doesn't ring or vibrate.....you never knew NUISANCE called until after the fact. Calls from that number will go to voicemail. This same technique can be used to ignore a wide variety of callers such as telemarketers, ex-wives/husbands, ex-girlfriends/boyfriends, freeloading relatives, bill collectors, or anyone else you don't wish to hear from.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/27/12 7:34am
Msg #410014

Re: 2 Easy Steps - No Tutorial or App Necessary

Thank you Thank you.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/27/12 7:42am
Msg #410015

I just checked and my phone does have a factory ringtone called "no ring" (I didn't realize that before). I just assigned that ring to three companies that called me yesterday and I sent to VM because I have no intention of working with them. (One called me three times!) I have used caller ID and my address book to code no-no companies in my phone for years, so when they call I can just ignore the call, but have never assigned them a silent ring. I also have some telemarking callers marked as SPAM in my phone - I will assign them the "no ring" also.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/27/12 5:40pm
Msg #410075

Why did I write "pre-factory"? Should have been "factory" like you said....heeheehee!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/27/12 7:03pm
Msg #410096

I list contacts with star ratings

For a long time, I've listed companies with star ratings "Imaginary Signing Service *" or "My Favorite Title Co. *****"

The downside to that was that the phone was still ringing at O'butt-thirty when the latest scheduler at the looser firms was calling me early for East-Coast time (and I'm West Coast!).

This silly iPhone doesn't come with a factory "silent" option, so I wanted to include instructions for those who're in the same boat.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/27/12 10:42am
Msg #410031

I have a "DO NOT ANSWER" in my contacts

It now has about a dozen numbers associated with it. (TElemarketers, etc.)

Reply by Rose/TX on 1/27/12 2:24pm
Msg #410055

Re: I have a "DO NOT ANSWER" in my contacts

Great information, I never knew about that feature! Thank y'all for sharing :-)

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/27/12 6:57pm
Msg #410092

This tut. works for iPhone which has no "silent" ring () n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/27/12 5:34pm
Msg #410073

<<<These instructions are for iPhone. 1. Download a "silent" ringtone from the app store (huge Apple fail for not including one). >>>

Another route to go, rather than downloading the "silent" or "no ring" ringtone, is to just pick out the ugliest/annoying pre-factory ringtone and assign that to the "do not answer" list. When you hear the ugly/annoying ringtone, then just ignore it and let the call go to voicemail.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/27/12 7:04pm
Msg #410097

Doesn't work for those crazy-early-morning calls though

I love not needing to look at the phone at all when the lowballers call.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/27/12 8:40pm
Msg #410116

Re: Doesn't work for those crazy-early-morning calls though

If you only assign an ugly or annoying sounding ringtone to the phone numbers you DON'T want to answer, when you hear that ugly ringtone, you won't answer the call - it'll go to voicemail.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.