Notary Rotary
US Treasury Direct
Notary Discussion History

US Treasury Direct
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 1/18/12 1:15pm
Msg #409355

US Treasury Direct

If anyone has purchase US savings bonds from Treasury Direct and was able to deliver them to a minor account, please contact me. I have no problem buying the bonds but cannot get them delivered to the gift recipient. I have sent multiple emails to Treasury Direct asking for help with no response.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/18/12 1:27pm
Msg #409356

This program is awful

With a paper bond, you might buy it for your grandchild, stick it in your safe deposit box, and upon your death your family would find the bonds. With these bonds, unless you tell the child about it, and sign them up for a Treasury Direct account, they will never know you had them.

You CAN still get paper bonds if you use your federal tax refund to purchase them. Use IRS Form 8888.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 1/18/12 1:42pm
Msg #409358

I generally purchase Savings Bonds for my grandkids and have them sent directly to my dayghter.

Reply by pat/WA on 1/18/12 2:57pm
Msg #409372

Have you tried to deliver electronic bonds from your account to a minor linked account for your grandchildren? That were my problem lies. I have no problem buying the bonds and they are in the gift box but they will not deliver and I can't get any help.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 1/18/12 3:21pm
Msg #409373

I've never tried to deliver electronic bonds. That would be a great service in today's high tech age.

Reply by pat/WA on 1/18/12 4:03pm
Msg #409379

It would but the US government has made it so complicated that you can't navigate their instructions. Therefore, they take your money for the bond but you can't deliver it to the person you designated it for.
If anyone understands how to make this delivery work, please let me know.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.