Notary Rotary
receiving a text instead of a phone call
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Patti Corcoran on 1/12/12 3:32am
Msg #408793

How do you handle this? I am in my car and I receive a text requesting me for a signing. I can't answer a text while I'm in the car unless I pull over. I do have blue tooth and gladly answer all calls while I'm driving. This is only one company but if I don't respond immediately, they call someone else. They also will send an email as if I am sitting at a desk all day. Is it just me and my antiquated technology?

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/12/12 6:42am
Msg #408796

I get text all the time. When I respond I just type in "K" or "no". The answer is understood by sender. No need for formal response. When they send order I respond "received".

Reply by jba/fl on 1/12/12 8:04am
Msg #408802

Are you saying that you text while driving? That is what Patti is asking.

I find most of the texting companies are on the low end so I don't worry too much about it if I am driving. Sometimes I think our tehnology is too presumptive. I can't always pull over fast enough, especially if in rush hour traffic.

Reply by Ardel Richter on 1/12/12 7:12am
Msg #408798

I think it's lazy, presumptive and downright dangerous on their part. They should know better and DO better. Some companies do offer NSAs the option as to their 'preferred method of contact'. You might try discussing this with the company. Tho, I have to admit that you'll need a lot of luck in that regard.

Reply by Carolyn Breckenridge on 1/12/12 7:41am
Msg #408800

I received an email for a closing. In the email they stated the address and what it paid. It was low. My quess they sent a mass emaill to notaries in my area and first to accept the assignment was the one to do the closing at that pay. I hope this is not a move in this direction because I found this very unprofessional.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/12/12 8:34am
Msg #408806

I have regular clients that either text me or email me for a job. You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill!!!

Reply by Ardel Richter on 1/12/12 9:07am
Msg #408810

Regular clients is one thing; random texts, quite another! n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/12/12 12:46pm
Msg #408835

Agree. Regulars may wait and give you time to respond. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 1/12/12 8:38am
Msg #408807

I don't know what they're thinking. While I understand

where techology is headed & that texting has become the norm, they need to THINK about the fact that we're mobile, not sitting in an office somewhere. If I get a signing request by text or email, I will more than likely miss the signing. I'm not just sitting around waiting for those, after all. IMO a phone call is still the best form of communication in this biz. :-)

Reply by Doris_CO on 1/12/12 9:03am
Msg #408808

Re: NSA Wars

Has anyone watched the new TV show "Shipping Wars" on the A&E channel. The lowest bidder gets the job and then has to figure out how to make money with the job because they bid too low. Some drivers are actually bidding on line while they're driving. That's what this discussion reminds my of - NSA Wars. You can google A&E and watch the programs online.

Reply by SharonMN on 1/12/12 10:27am
Msg #408817

Re: NSA Wars

Wow, Doris, I just watched Shipping Wars the other day and thought the same thing. None of those shippers seem very professional. I'm sure things will get even worse with the TV show - more people will sign up with that shipping firm and take a $50 shipment because "I'm driving to Texas anyway."

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/12/12 12:52pm
Msg #408836

Anyone know which network broadcasts Storage Wars?

I signed one of their people and I've never seen the show. The signing was an experience, though, as this person kept taking calls to deal with a buyer who didn't pay when he was supposed to. Wow!! I'll leave it at that...

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/15/12 2:42pm
Msg #409090

I think it's on A&E n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 1/12/12 12:57pm
Msg #408837

Exactly why there's talk of state & federal laws that will

make ALL use of cell phones illegal while you're driving. The thinking is that so many distractions are causing many more accidents.....well, duh?????

Reply by ME/NJ on 1/12/12 10:41am
Msg #408818

I have a couple of companies text or email me. First to reply gets the job, I hate it never get the job you thought you had to answer the phone you need to be quicker with text and email.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/12/12 11:29am
Msg #408825

More thoughts on text instead of a phone call

As you said ME/NJ.... you have to be really quick to get the job. Which translates to a whole lot of notaries being put in dangerous situations (granted--willingly) for ONE signing. Exception, of course, being prior arrangement with regular customer.

Reply by ikando on 1/12/12 12:24pm
Msg #408833

Re: More thoughts on text instead of a phone call

I have a sense that the world is moving too fast. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Why has this business that entails multi-millions of dollars in activity gotten to the point that a person must potentially put themselves and others in danger in order to get a low fee, "have to run after the payment" assignment?

I understand the need for speed, but I'm too old to start pushing that envelope. When I started and the paperwork was a complete package express mailed to either me or the signer, everyone thought that was great. Now, just because we have the tools of the internet and texting, more people are put in danger over paperwork!

I'd rather smell the roses once in a while.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/12/12 11:21am
Msg #408822

I think that my I Phone 4 S has a gadget that converts texts

to speach and vice versa.
So far, I have figured out how to answer calls and a few other functions.
Just happy to have retired my Blackberry (keys too small for me to use as a phone) and get
back to carrying only one phone around.
I don't care if I am contacted by smoke signal, so long as it is an offer of a fair paying job from a good company.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/12/12 11:24am
Msg #408824

Re: I think that my I Phone 4 S has a gadget that converts texts

My Vonage land line has a speech-to-text function. The results are sometimes hilarious, much like listening to Bob-Chicago when he's on a sugar high from scarfing down too many Snickers bars.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/12/12 11:36am
Msg #408828

sugar high from scarfing down too many Snickers bars.

Just trying to train my body to survive in case they stop making Twinkies.
I do not do very well with voice recognition systems, and usually end up swearing at the computer

Reply by jba/fl on 1/12/12 6:39pm
Msg #408882

Re: sugar high from scarfing down too many Snickers bars.

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/13603/the-25-funniest-autocorrects-of-dyacs-first-year/

Since they are problematic and sometimes raunchy funny, here are the best 25 of the last year with 25 more to click on....that should give you a great laugh or two.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 1/12/12 2:04pm
Msg #408846

Text-to-speech & speech-to-text - iPhone & Android, & Sync

I have an Android and I have Sync in my car - but I have not yet become as smart as either technology, so I've not tried this on either.

Reply by ME/NJ on 1/12/12 2:09pm
Msg #408847

Re: Text-to-speech & speech-to-text - iPhone & Android, & Sync

Works well try it, sometimes it messes up and it's kinda funny when you read it.

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/12/12 6:23pm
Msg #408881

Re: Text-to-speech & speech-to-text - iPhone & Android, & Sync

Do you think it's time I got rid of my bag phone? You know, the one with the 10 pound battery in a look alike brief case.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.