Notary Rotary
toner problems/Brother Laser Jet
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Kathryn on 1/31/12 9:13am
Msg #410340

I frequently use toner refills and have never had an issue. yesterday I filled my cartridge because I had a message of toner running low.
As soon as I put the cartridge in I get the message "refill toner"..... and the machine won't let me run any copies.
I thought I had overfilled it so I emptied some out. Still getting the message !
Help ~~ any suggestions?
By the way... I have refilled this cartridge 3 other times but it was working perfectly before I put more toner in it.
THANKS.

Reply by Alan Murray on 1/31/12 9:37am
Msg #410347

You can try putting a piece of black electrical tape to cover the sensor hole that is located on both sides of the toner cartridge. I covered mine on the gear side but you may also try the other side to see if that helps. By covering the hole the printer thinks the toner bay is full of toner.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/31/12 11:13am
Msg #410358

You didn't say what model number you own. Mine are 5150's, so they are getting dated and may not work the same as yours. If the sensor suggestion above doesn't work, try a new cartridge. It just could be that the computer VOO-DOO god that resides in all computers has decided it's time. Some things just quit working without any obvious reason.

If that doesn't work, next question I would ask is "When was the last time you printer had a good cleaning?" Whenever I change or refill a cartridge, I take the entire printer out to the garage and blow it out with compressed air. You would be surprised at the junk that comes out of it. I blow off the refilled cartridge too. I also clean the paper rollers. I know that most people don't have a compressor out in the garage, but you may have a home vacuum cleaner or a shop vac with a reverse flow feature you can use as a blower. High velocity air can reach places that fingers never can. You can get canned air at an office supply store, but that can get expensive.

Reply by Kathryn on 1/31/12 11:51am
Msg #410363

I tried covering the sensors ~ didn't work. I guess it is just done... not a good week to buy a cartridge. Just bought legal paper, and my a/c is going out on my car ! I'm in Fla. !
Thanks for your suggestions !

Reply by jba/fl on 1/31/12 1:14pm
Msg #410370

Camping section of WalMart - $13-15 for rechargeable air pump to blow up your mattresses for camping. Can use this for other things as well....gives good swift air.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/31/12 2:21pm
Msg #410388

Good One!!!! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.