Notary Rotary
Christmas
Notary Discussion History

Christmas
Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 11/13/13 5:07pm
Msg #492579

Christmas

Two signings this month. Christmas is going to be very devoid of gifts.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 11/13/13 6:11pm
Msg #492588

Handcarafted gifts can be the most special! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 11/13/13 7:46pm
Msg #492598

A gift is from the heart, not the store. n/m

Reply by Julie/MI on 11/13/13 7:55pm
Msg #492603

Re: Christmas is not about presents!

Nor the economy! In fact Christmas Day was a work day for the puritans. My family stopped presents years ago and it's much betterSmile

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/13/13 8:40pm
Msg #492610

Get Creative

Do you knit, crochet, or sew? Are you a fabulous cook or baker? Are you good at crafts? Can you refurbish (paint or stain) a small wood end table or other small wood item? Can you make jewelry?

Michael's and Hobby Lobby - two places to get lost in...that have all kinds of neato things to make and create. Gifts from the heart - homemade will be cherished far more than anything you could buy. My late mother-in-law crocheted blankets. She made two baby blankets for my son before he was born. He's 23 now. I still have those two blankets and will present them to his future wife when his child is born (someday).

Reply by jba/fl on 11/13/13 9:06pm
Msg #492618

Re: Get Creative

My grandmother made me a quilt for my son's crib when he was born in 1964. It has been passed to him for his children in the late 80's, again in the 2000's for the great-grandkids. It keeps coming back to me, as custodian, to be brought out for the new generation. Everyone knows I have it at the ready, and it is in my will. Just a simple polished cotton with nursery scenes in each square - had to replace the binding when I got it back last time. Truly loved.

Reply by CJ on 11/13/13 11:50pm
Msg #492633

Christmas will be different for us too.

I have been amassing used books from the library book store for the nieces and nephews. I have been keeping my eye out at the thrift stores. I don't usually find things, but sometimes I do. I got a Hershey's Kiss fondue set for $5. The outside of the box does not look new, but the inside is still packed from the factory. My husband found a lot of poems that his deceased dad wrote. He asked me to type them up and we will make bound copies at Kinkos. Every adult or couple on his side of the family is going to get that. I'm going to look through some cookbooks and find an easy hand-dipped chocolate recipe and make chocolates for everyone. (I'm not a great cook, but everyone likes chocolate. I try to shop all year, but I didn't this year. I was too busy working. NOW I have time on my hands. Trader Joe's always has Christmas treats that are not too expensive. I also oil paint. Not all my paintings are good enough to sell. I might give away some of my "seconds". For me, I don't need someone spending money on me, but it's fun opening SOMETHING. So I try to find something indulgent and whimsical. I noticed that my husband likes old pocket knives, so I look for those at the thrift stores and vintage stores. I think all guys like an old pocket knife, like they had when they were kids. When Molly Brown (a survivor of the Titanic) was awarded a medal for helping save some people in her row boat, she said, "A woman can always use another piece of jewelry". I know I never get tired of it, so I look for trinkets at the thrift stores and vintage stores. Just skip the mall: expensive, crowded and full of Santa Sweaters. Nothing unique and personal.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 11/14/13 7:42am
Msg #492646

Consider it a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the day with loved ones for what it truly is.
We stopped gifts a few years ago and have made this a day of celebration without gifts.
It's so much better!

Reply by 101livescan on 11/14/13 8:13am
Msg #492649

This April 2014 marks the tenth year anniversary of my nephew's near death experience when his girlfriend took a bat to his head seven times trying to kill him in an inexplicable rage of anger, and got away with it.

Every day, and every holiday, we rejoice in God's love and blessings that 10 brain surgeons in El Paso, Texas were able to save his life, seven surgeries later. Life is different with Justin now, still remnants of brain injury in his speech and his gait, but he's 6' of handsome, sweet goodness, reminding us every day just how lucky we are to have each other. There were weeks in brain trauma center ICU that we did not know if he could survive and thrive as he does today.

Things that come from the wallet are not nearly as meaningful as sharing the spirit of the holiday and each other. We look forward to being together each and every day. Christmas for us is remembering the reason for the season.

By the way, if you know of any one who has brain injury, there is a wonderful organization out there called the Brain Injury Association, it is national, and a great way to help those with brain injury trauma.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.