Notary Rotary
Concealed Carry weapons permit
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Notarysigner on 11/23/13 4:19pm
Msg #493851

Would you accept it as a valid ID? I saw a post where it was refused for a loan signing.

I check it out here and it meet's all the criteria as far as I can see. WWYD?

Reply by JimAZ on 11/23/13 4:27pm
Msg #493856

Photo ID issued by a Government Agency? In Arizona we just carry, no permit required.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/23/13 4:32pm
Msg #493859

The Florida CWP's don't have a physical description

or a signature of the holder - at least not from the samples I've found - so I'd have to say no, I couldn't take it. The only signature on it is that of the Secretary of State.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/23/13 4:45pm
Msg #493861

This is what I found for Ca BTW only interested in OP

http://www.usacarry.com/california_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/23/13 4:47pm
Msg #493862

" BTW only interested in OP n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/23/13 4:47pm
Msg #493863

oops..too soon..meant to add sorry I responded..fine James n/m

Reply by Linda Juenger on 11/23/13 5:03pm
Msg #493865

Re: oops..too soon..meant to add sorry I responded..fine James

Since IL cannot get its act together, as we are last state in the nation, we do not have Conceal and Carry yet. I have on occasion taken the FOID card as ID. It has a pic, signature and exp date on it.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/23/13 5:06pm
Msg #493868

Linda J Your state is the final state to approve, see

You

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/23/13 5:06pm
Msg #493869

Re: Linda J Your state is the final state to approve, see

http://www.usacarry.com/illinois_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/23/13 5:04pm
Msg #493866

Linda, wasn't meant for you, your ans fine! n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/23/13 5:04pm
Msg #493867

Hmmm...... why not???

... even tho it's not on the list of "acceptable IDs," it has all the required elements:

it's issued by a governmental authority and has a serial number, signature, photo, physical description, etc. It looks like a piece of paper, tho; not like a passport, DL or military ID... but nobody said acceptable ID had to be plastic ... or like a passport. Let us know how it works out, JD.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/23/13 5:08pm
Msg #493870

See OP n/m

Reply by oldhippie_IL on 11/23/13 6:08pm
Msg #493876

Conceal to Carry

Yes, we can use the "Foid" card, since there is a pic on it.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/23/13 6:41pm
Msg #493884

I've seen it as the 2nd ID, but never the primary one.

Why not? It's a picture ID.

Reply by Brenda/FL on 11/23/13 7:17pm
Msg #493889

Re: I

I use a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License for a 2nd ID and it has never been an issue.

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/23/13 8:51pm
Msg #493900

No, I would not - only what SOS lists n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/23/13 10:31pm
Msg #493901

Not in CA... nope.... it's not on the approved list n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/23/13 10:42pm
Msg #493902

Re: Not in CA... nope.... it

oops, hit Post too soon...

State law says that the ID must be state approved fo rnotarization and must contain the required elements. So, it has to be BOTH not just one or the other.

The state approved IDs (other than DL, ID card and passport) are:

1. Passport issued by foreign government provided it has also been stamped by USCIS.
2. A DL issued by another state, Canada or Mexico
3. ID card issued by another state
4. A US military ID card, provided it contains all the required elements (many of them no longer do)
5. DOC issued inmate ID card for inmates in custody
6. An employee ID for state, county or city provided it contains all the required elements

A concealed carry permit may have all the elements on it, but it isn't an approved ID for notarization. Consider other kinds of ID that have the required elements on them... such as the Mexican Matricualar card. IT's NOT an approved ID, so we can't use it. It's really pretty simple.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 11/23/13 10:53pm
Msg #493903

I teach notary classes in CA and this is ID is not allowed

Reply by VT_Syrup on 11/23/13 11:00pm
Msg #493904

It seems like a card "contains a photograph, description of the person, signature of the person,
and an identifying number" AND is "(c) An identification card issued by another state". So a CA carry permit wouldn't work, but an out-of-state carry permit might, if it has all the required elements.

Not that I need to worry about it; if I wanted a handgun I could just go down to the store and buy it. I could carry it concealed or openly, whichever I preferred.

At my last signing, Mr. Signer wanted me to hurry up so he could go deer hunting before it got dark. That was after I stopped and asked a guy with a rifle who was crossing the road if he could give me directions to the signers' house. (No, I'm not joking.)

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/23/13 11:29pm
Msg #493905

While I don't disagree with that idea... I'm pretty sure that the "identification card" issued by another states refers to one issued in lieu of or in addition to a driver license... such as we can get in CA from the DMV.

Reply by notarydi/CA on 11/23/13 11:36pm
Msg #493906

agree with Joan and Marian.... n/m

Reply by Les_CO on 11/24/13 9:44am
Msg #493907

I have taken them here in Colorado…I think it depends on where it was issued (In Colorado different counties have different criteria) Mine has a photo, and a physical description, and a unique number, and was issued by and the County Sheriff’s Office.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/24/13 11:23am
Msg #493913

For Les.....Re: Concealed Carry weapons permit

Hey Les, look at my second post above, it has all those elements.

Some here in Cal are saying it is not acceptable but the notary public Vendor handbook THAT THEY DIDN'T WRITE SAYS on page 21,.

>>>>>>>> b. Verify Identity of the Signer
Before performing most notarial acts, the notary public must confirm the identity of the
person signing the document. For acknowledgments and jurats, a notary public is required to
obtain satisfactory evidence of the signer’s identity. (California Civil Code sections 1185(a)
and (b), and 1189; California Government Code section 8202.)

i. Satisfactory Evidence

Satisfactory evidence is the absence of any information, evidence, or other circumstances
which would lead a reasonable person to believe that the individual is not the individual he or
she claims to be and (A) paper identification documents meeting certain requirements or (B) the
oath of a single credible witness or (C) the oaths of two credible witnesses. (California Civil
Code section 1185(b).) Since January 1, 2008, a notary public’s personal knowledge of a signer
is not sufficient to establish the identity of the signer.

Anyway Les, what do YOU think about this...I have a link to the ID in my second post on this thread.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/24/13 11:24am
Msg #493914

this is the link Les

http://www.usacarry.com/california_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/24/13 11:29am
Msg #493915

Re: this is the link Les

James, I think where the issue is that the ID card must be issued by the STATE. In the example you posted, the ID is issued by the Ventura County Sheriff... not the state. CC permits are issued at a local level, not state, even though they may be good state wide.

I'm not saying it's not a good ID card. Like many military IDs available today, it's probably a far better and more reliable ID than say... an employee ID issued by some city of 3,000 people. The problem is that by law, we are only allowed to accept certain IDs, and no matter how reliable the ID may or may not be, or what elements it contains. If it isn't on the list, it's not acceptable.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/24/13 11:38am
Msg #493916

thanks LES n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/24/13 11:49am
Msg #493917

defeet of deduck went over defence before detail n/m

Reply by Les_CO on 11/24/13 1:03pm
Msg #493919

In some jurisdictions Notaries are given more discretion than in others. In many past instances, and even now I use my personal judgment in deciding what my notarial actions will be when notarizing the signatures of someone hospitalized, or in a continuing care facility when determining the intentions, judgment or capacity of those signing. I don’t know California law, but it doesn’t surprise me that some there would think the Sheriff’s Department is not a government agency. And that a CC Permit that not only has a physical description, birthdate, photo, signature, and thumbprint, but also tells me that the holder is not a felon, is a citizen, a resident, and has fingerprints on file with the FBI, and has passed a criminal background check and a weapons training program. I don’t believe one could find any better or more complete ID; but then any State that would tell me as a Notary Public that I cannot notarize my brothers signature on a document because he left his wallet with his ID in it at home, even If I have known him for 60 years and can swear under oath as to his identity is a little too picayune and over-regulated. No wonder some call your great State the Left Coast; home of the fruits and nuts.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/24/13 1:22pm
Msg #493921

Re: The real Les, Thanks key words " Satisfactory Evidence"

Regarding the state where I was BORN....Well all I can say is there are not very many people here that make that distinction ( I can save travel time because there is someone from every state here) so I'll leave it at that.

Reply by Les_CO on 11/24/13 1:56pm
Msg #493925

Re: The real Les, Thanks key words " Satisfactory Evidence"

I was not referring to the residents of California, and particularly the natives; but to its Government officials. I have a number of friends and some family that live in your beautiful state, as did I (San Diego) for several years.

Reply by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 11/24/13 1:29pm
Msg #493922

Depends what state it's from and if it has the state ID requirements. My Arizona CCW would not work as an ID in California since it doesn't contain the required items.

Reply by BobtheElder on 11/24/13 2:10pm
Msg #493928

I've accepted them in the past. So long as they have all the required information and a photo of the individual I don't see a problem with it.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/24/13 2:49pm
Msg #493933

Honestly thank you all for your responses! n/m

Reply by Luckydog on 11/24/13 5:42pm
Msg #493945

Re: Honestly thank you all for your responses!

I always accepted as a 2nd form of ID in FL, and never been questioned.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 11/24/13 10:41pm
Msg #493952

Could the lack of statewide uniformity be a reason?

According to Wiki -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

"California is a "may-issue" state for permits to carry concealed guns. The willingness of issuing authorities in California ranges from No-Issue in most urban areas to Shall-Issue in rural counties. However, concealed carry permits are valid statewide, regardless of where they were issued. This creates a situation where residents in presumptively No-Issue locations such as Los Angeles and San Francisco cannot lawfully carry a concealed firearm, but residents from other counties with more permissive CCW issuance policies can lawfully carry within these same jurisdictions. California does not recognize concealed carry permits issued by other states, and non-residents are generally forbidden from obtaining a California concealed carry permit.

Although they are issued by governments within the state, overall, the state of CA does not seem to have the warmest feelings for handgun owners and, as a state (per the state constitution), appears to wish to hold a very narrow view of how the Second Amendment (U.S.) should be applied to CA citizens, which may also be a reason that an ID that would seem to otherwise be acceptable for a notary to use is not on the official list.

At the bottom of the article on this site you linked above, James, shows the other states that honor the CA permits (and those that do not). http://www.usacarry.com/california_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

However, "California does not recognize concealed carry permits issued by other states, and non-residents are generally forbidden from obtaining a California concealed carry permit," according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California#Other_laws

Perhaps some state officials may believe that if the SOS allowed the use of them as an acceptable form of ID it might be seen as some form of endorsement of concealed carry permits? Just a guess on my part ... Smile

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/25/13 11:10am
Msg #493991

BTW this rejection I mention didn't happen in Ca. n/m

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 11/25/13 2:49pm
Msg #494023

acceptable in Oregon if it meets all the criteria

Per our Notary Guide:
"Produces at least one current document issued by the federal government or a state, county, municipal or other local government and containing the person’s photograph, signature and physical description."

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.