Notary Rotary
Conversation w/signing company
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by roseIN on 11/22/13 12:32pm
Msg #493710

here's my email conversations yesterday about a $65.00 offer from a certain signing company:

1) I am looking for a Notary in your area to do a signing for a DEBT ELIMINATION RETAINER. It is in BROWNSBURG, IN 46112. The contract is only 15 pages with 3 Notary Stamps. This closing is for 11/21 AT 5 PM OR ASAP.
Please let me know if you are available and please let me know how much your fee is. Please include in your fee, printing, faxing and mailing back to us by standard mail which is around $1.90 for postage.
We pay by the 10th of the following

2) Yes, I am available
Fee: $115.00

3) I'm only authorized to pay $65 as that's all the law office pays. Will that be acceptable?

4) tell the Law Firm that $65 is too low to attract any decent Notary
this assignment involves about 2 or 2.5 total hours of work (travel, print, closing, mailing, fax backs, etc.)
ask the Law Firm if they will work for $65 for 2 or 2.5 hours---I doubt it
having said all that, I can change my Fee: it is now $120.00

5) Plenty of notaries are willing to do it for that price. Thank you for your interest. This client has been assigned to another notary.

6) nothing lost here
if you want to reconsider, I could readjust my Fee to $125.00 (let me know so I can pencil this in my schedule)
please ask your Law Firm if that would be OK

7) I readjust my fee to $45. We can play this all night if you want!

The End.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/22/13 1:04pm
Msg #493715

LOL n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 11/22/13 1:49pm
Msg #493717

I won't do those at any price! n/m

Reply by Robert Wells on 11/22/13 3:19pm
Msg #493729

Re: I won

I won't do these either - I am really questioning the legality of some of these. Not being an attorney, though, it's just my humble(?) opinion.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/22/13 6:19pm
Msg #493752

Yes, no way to know which one's are scams. I got one of

those letters in the mail the other day. I think people who are deep in debt will buy into it, unfortunately.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/22/13 7:20pm
Msg #493765

Here's the first clue...

"I am looking for a Notary in your area to do a signing for a DEBT ELIMINATION RETAINER"

I know it's tempting to bid on every assignment offered, but your first response in this case should have been "Not interested"

Don't just walk away from these assignments; RUN!

There are so many law firms who prey on people who are in debt, and those law firms often put them further in debt because they can't (and in some cases, never intend to) deliver what they promise. Your involvement as a notary will just help the law firm lock in the client. Do you really want to be a part of that?

Add to that the fact you are dealing with slime, so you may never see any of the payment you managed to negotiate...

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/22/13 8:38pm
Msg #493779

My favorite: #4! Good job Rose! n/m

Reply by Keys_Notary on 11/23/13 11:46am
Msg #493828

I've been getting the same thing in email & quoting my fee. Also, they have instructions for you to tell their client you are a paralegal, not a notary or signing agent, with the law firm! Read a script and answer questions about it, sign off as a 'paralegal' as well. So they want you to misrepresent yourself, probably a legal can of worms, work for less than a travel fee & possibly commit UPL. What could possibly go wrong?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.