Notary Rotary
FNTG release form
Notary Discussion History

FNTG release form
Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Jules on 11/1/13 7:58pm
Msg #490960

FNTG release form

They have revised the form a little bit, but it is still over reaching and too broad. I deleted the parts I don't agree to(ie. giving my social security number out) and added "do not" to holding them harmless. Doubt they will even notice.

Reply by walthtz on 11/1/13 9:45pm
Msg #490970

Watch out for the 2nd part of that form where it gives them permission to get a copy of the complete report.
as well as the social security # part.

Reply by dgd/CA on 11/2/13 9:31am
Msg #490994

How thoughtful of Fidelity to add this statement:

" I have or will provide to Alamo Title Insurance, Chicago Title Insurance Company, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company or Fidelity National Title Insurance Company (collectively, Fidelity National Title Group or “FNTG”) a copy of my Background Screening Certificate from the GLBA-Compliant National Notary Association (“NNA”) or other approved vendor. "

By yet, leave all the other information we have been primarily complaining about. I admit, I have been of the fence with this, but (while I will forward the signed release to them, as Jules slightly revised), I doubt seriously that I will receive any work. I'm not even sure if I care.

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/2/13 9:48am
Msg #490998

Wait a minute...something is very wrong with this

First, according to NNA site, they do NOT get a copy of anyone's background check. Strictly pass/fail. If you pass, you get a Certificate stating same. I'd have no problem with anyone showing the certificate to...well, anybody. So, the only place they can get the actual report is from the BGC co. (who is sub-contracted by the NNA) or from me. Unless I sign that piece of paper authorizing it.

Why would I want to do that? My NPPI is just that--mine! All my 'public' notary information is on my state's website so I am quite trackable/findable. I have a stamp with my county and commission number and that gets planted on every document I notarize, so, again, WHY would I want to release my NPPI to anyone who asks? (Or how to make ID theft easy.) Why should I not be as protected from dissemination of my information as I am required to protect a B's info?

Reply by dgd/CA on 11/2/13 10:02am
Msg #490999

Re: Wait a minute...something is very wrong with this

Lee... while what you're stating is actually correct (if the Certification was requested from XYZ or Sterling), Fidelity has indicated that the full and complete background (non-redacted) check will be forwarded to them, in conjunction with being forwarded to us. So, at the end of the day, they have it. Their release allows them to forward same to any "customer" of their choosing.

Reply by jojo_MN on 11/2/13 10:12am
Msg #491001

Thank you, Lee/AR. That is the point I've been trying to

to convey for a very long time. You can't trust the NNA. They are not looking out for our best interests, they are just trying to make as much money off us as possible. They could not care less about our privacy, they just need the almighty $$.

That is why I made the suggestion a couple days ago to have all states do a background check (with or without us paying for it) and list whether we passed or failed the bgc and list on the state website. NO ONE including the title/ss or any other individual would have access to the actual bgc. The information on the bgc is absolutely no one's business.

I am kicking myself all of the time for ever releasing them to them in the first place now. I myself was a victim of identity theft and it cost me a lot of money as the result. People need to start re-thinking before sending this to ever lender/title company/signing service that requests it in the fear that they won't receive business. If they want their loan closed, they will hire you.

Reply by CH2inCA on 11/2/13 10:17am
Msg #491003

'have all states do a background check' n/m

Reply by CH2inCA on 11/2/13 10:21am
Msg #491004

Sorry hit wrong key

It's a good idea to have all states run a uniform background check. However, as with CA, we already have a background check (an extensive one).
BUT the hiring parties WANT the NNA check.

The key is to somehow 'force' them to accept the State background checks that already have the items they require checked off. (Not necessarily give them the details)
Right now it seems they are accepting two although if you ask me they're both NNA. I think Sterling is linked to NNA.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/2/13 10:33am
Msg #491005

interesting update, just saw this! SS being warned

not to request release form by attorney.

" .......... attorney advised SS/owner that asking the notaries to sign this form could easily lead to identity theft and the signing service can and probably would be held liable. It would subject them to lawsuits if any of their notaries suffered from identity theft."

Sounds interesting and hoping to see a reversal real soon as the roaches will recognize there is poison ( release request by whoever) being distributed out they in FNF land.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 11/2/13 6:04pm
Msg #491044

James, what do you mean you just saw this?

who are you quoting? what is the source please?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/2/13 5:10pm
Msg #491041

Wait a minute...something is very wrong with this. Right!!

"First, according to NNA site, they do NOT get a copy of anyone's background check. Strictly pass/fail. If you pass, you get a Certificate stating same. "

Sounds reasonable, but I got a hold of the content of their online authorization form (see below) that has to be agreed to during the process of requesting their BGC (after it's been paid for). But all a financial institution, subcontractor, etc. has to do to get a copy of the "background screening detailed report" is send a written request for it. Why is that a precondition to even having the screening take place if all they ever receive is a pass/fail certificate? Whether they send it out or BGO* sends it is irrelevant when it comes to protection of our non-public data. Sounds like they're splitting hairs and dissembling.

"I am aware of, and agree to, the following:

My background screening results will display the pass or fail status of my background report on the SigningAgent.com Web site viewable for all users, including financial institutions, lending industry, title insurance companies, their affiliates and/or sub-contractors (herein collectively referred to as "Institutions").

NNA and/or BGO* may release my background screening detailed report and its scorecard to any of the Institutions at their written request, or as required by law. I hereby authorize such release."

* BGO = Background Checks Online, the provider of the NNA background checks.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 11/2/13 6:12pm
Msg #491045

WTH, sorry but WTH??

Janet, thanks for posting this:
"NNA and/or BGO* may release my background screening detailed report and its scorecard to any of the Institutions at their written request, or as required by law. I hereby authorize such release."

two different reps at both the NNA and BGO assured me that they NEVER EVER provide the report, only the cert.

I could see having the release if required by law part being necessary but not at the written request of "financial institutions, lending industry, title insurance companies, their affiliates and/or sub-contractors (herein collectively referred to as "Institutions").

this just keeps getting scarier

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/3/13 1:10am
Msg #491071

Re: WTH, sorry but WTH?? Exactly!!

So if what they claim is true, why in the world do they force a notary to agree with that statement before being able to order the NNA-provided background screen???!!!!! Does the word "coercion" feel appropriate to anyone?

Talk about over-reach!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/3/13 9:24pm
Msg #491161

Correction, sorta, for the record

I found their privacy policy online and it does say, under the section on social security numbers, that they will not "sell, lease, loan or otherwise intentionally disclose a Social Security number to third parties without written consent from you." That's at least a step in the right direction, for whatever that's worth.

Now if only we can get disclosure of our social security numbers removed from the FNF authorization, we'll be getting somewhere. If that information isn't ever provided to them, then there should be no reason for us to authorize it's release. Who knows what policies might change down the road, perhaps even without our knowledge.

Reply by BobtheElder on 11/2/13 11:57am
Msg #491017

I don't allow anyone access to my BGC report and I don't give out my ss number either, just my EIN. If that isn't enough for them then I don't need their business... probably a bunch of low-balling scumbags anyway... seems that the worse a SS or lender is the more info they want us to provide...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.