Notary Rotary
Freelancers Union...
Notary Discussion History

Freelancers Union...
Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 11/26/13 6:40pm
Msg #494179

Freelancers Union...

"Our membership is open to independent workers—freelancers, consultants, independent contractors, temps, part-timers, contingent employees and the self-employed."

http://www.freelancersunion.org/

Anyone heard of this group? Membership is free.

Interesting history of the group...I would recommend that you all check this site, especially in light of the latest SPW group.

Thoughts?

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 11/26/13 6:40pm
Msg #494180

NOT ADVERTISING! n/m

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/26/13 6:50pm
Msg #494182

Thanks, I will take a look n/m

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/26/13 6:59pm
Msg #494183

Not really a union

They are headquartered in NYC, started by a lawyer who was surprised to find out that her first job with a law firm was as an independent contractor - which meant she got no benefits at all.

Their purpose is to provide information, support, and group health insurance to members. The group health insurance is the big thing; last I heard, they could only offer it in NY but were looking to expand it to other states. Not sure how the new regulations have affected their plans, but it's worth checking out.

They are not really a "union" in the typical sense of the word - they have no standing to negotiate with companies for a contract that will provide guaranteed wages and benefits, which cannot be done with "freelancers, consultants, independent contractors, temps, part-timers, contingent employees and the self-employed", and they don't claim otherwise.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 11/26/13 8:45pm
Msg #494198

Mike are you an attorney or what?

Asking because some of what you say does not fit right with me or what my labor attorney is saying. Don't doubt your knowledge just asking.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 11/27/13 6:35am
Msg #494220

Re: Mike are you an attorney or what?

Yes, Carol. Mike is an attorney. Prior to moving to Texas, he was located in New York.

(not personal knowledge; this is info Mike previously posted)

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/27/13 7:30pm
Msg #494317

Re: Mike are you an attorney or what?

No, I am not an attorney. I am (or was) a paralegal when I lived in NY.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/26/13 8:05pm
Msg #494192

We could join this group.....

National Federation of Independent Business - Official Site
www.nfib.com

NFIB is America's leading small business association, promoting & protecting the right of our members to own, operate and grow their businesses.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 11/26/13 9:34pm
Msg #494202

We can always count on MAC for sensible solutions n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 11/27/13 8:20am
Msg #494230

Thanks, but I'm staying away from anything that has the

title "Union" in it.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 11/27/13 9:36am
Msg #494245

MW...why? n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 11/27/13 1:40pm
Msg #494277

This has been discussed many times before. A "union" formed

by independent contractors would be anti-trust (price-fixing, limiting competition, etc.)

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/27/13 11:17am
Msg #494255

Association or Union: 5 sources say "synonymous"

The following dictionaries show "union" as synonymous with "association" (see list of synonyms in each dictionary and the thesaurus):

Webster-Merriam Dictionary
Oxford English Dictionary for the US
Dictionary.com
Google Dictionary
Thesaurus.com

Here is the Oxford English Dictionary (for the US) definition of association and union:

association:
(often in names) a group of people organized for a joint purpose.

union:
a society or association formed by people with a common interest or purpose.

Samples of non-employee unions:

American Civil Liberties Union (started by a group of individuals; over 500,000 individual members and supporters today.)

National Farmers Union (The National Farmers Union is a national federation of State Farmers Union organizations in the United States. It is the second largest general farm organization in the country, after the Farm Bureau.

The Mothers' Union (originally started by a group of individual church women in England, it has grown to an international organization with members in 83 countries including the US).

Interestingly, countries form "unions" around certain goals and have formal structures.

I'm not advocating forming a union, just trying to take the focus off a specific word that's been causing a knee-jerk reaction to an "organization of people with a common purpose..." I'm starting to like "conglomerate."

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/27/13 5:37pm
Msg #494312

Re: Association or Union: 5 sources say "synonymous"

"I'm not advocating forming a union, just trying to take the focus off a specific word that's been causing a knee-jerk reaction to an "organization of people with a common purpose..."

The very fact that a definition of the word "union" is called for because there are so many different understandings of what it truly means could be a good enough reason to stay away from using that term. It's a word that, good, bad or otherwise, has come to have political overtones, so that may be enough of a reason right there to avoid it! Wink

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/29/13 11:09am
Msg #494377

"escrow," "closing" have different meanings in different

states too. I'll take your advice and stay away from those too.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.