Notary Rotary
I think I'll start a name changing service
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by SharonMN on 11/8/13 2:02pm
Msg #491981

I could help people that are changing their name make sure they change it everywhere it's needed while they still have proof of both names!

Please, people, if you change your name, change it on everything "official" that you can think of -- bills, titles, memberships, wills, trust documents, Social Security, passport, driver license, voter ID, etc. etc. Basically if it has to do with the government or money or they send you mail that's not junk mail, contact the relevant party and change it.

I still don't understand how someone that supposedly changed their name 10 years ago and has no information whatsoever pointing to the old name can sign a deed to transfer property on just their say-so that they were FKA Old Name. Seems like an invitation to fraud.

Had a person the other day with a hyphenated name on the docs. She said she had NEVER been known as Mary Ann Jones-Smith, but apparently that's how it was on title. She had current ID as Mary Ann Smith and marriage certificate saying Ms. Mary Ann Jones was married to Mr. Joe D. Smith (also there, with ID, living in the house we were in and that they were refinancing) 10 years ago, so on the basis of overwhelming evidence I signed her, but warned her never to move to California. She then asked (seriously!) if she should change her ID to Jones-Smith. I recommended that instead she ask the county how to change the name on the deed to the one she actually uses.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/8/13 2:13pm
Msg #491983

Thumbs up!! See my post from the other day

Woman divorced 6 years ago leaves everything in married name even though former name was restored - buys house in married name after divorce - yet last year she renews drivers license in former name!!

Got a call yesterday from her - she went back and got ANOTHER new license - back in her married name!!

We're back on for Wednesday. Smile

Unbelievable.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/8/13 7:15pm
Msg #492012

There are services out there that do that. My niece got

married this year, and used a service that helped with anything she didn't have to make a personal appearance for (like AZ DMV).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.