Notary Rotary
Just a comment on Forum concerns.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Pamela/CA on 11/1/13 3:18pm
Msg #490919

Since Harry began, I periodically check Forum for new regs, bad SS's and TC's, and marketplace - I'm fulltime SA - no Plan B's, no other jobs, or income - this business has bought my home, cars, food, insurance - my husband (also SA) and I depend on it 100%....and I'm positive you are ALL good people with good intentions.... however, comments re: NNA that are 'right in your face' hostile and some downright childish or threatening make me wonder what in the world can you all be thinking?
NNA is a Membership organization.... if you ARE a Member unhappy with direction of NNA then absolutely, get other members and take your complaints directly to the top and do not stop until you make a difference....but I sense that a majority of those critical of NNA at this Forum are not actual Members - and you certainly do not have to be - but you must ask yourself, if the Membership is not taking action, then.......?
Of course, this may now be a moot point.... Sept/Oct were horrible but it looks like we're back on track - Signing-wise anyway - at least here in the San Francisco Bay Area....(last to get downward trend, first to recover).
Fed staying low on rates - Soon you will not have time to do anything other than Signings ...now's a good time to apply that energy to start planning your future Signings. I'm not attempting to impede YOUR freedom of speech.... just saying, guys, this is MY little bit of free speech.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 11/1/13 10:51pm
Msg #490973

Re: Membership organization

With all due respect: XYZ "IS" a membership " organization ", one must "join" to be a "member", however, I see NO options for the members to "change" the organization. I looked at the 2013 agenda, and saw no meeting of the members, no vote of the membership. no oportunity for the "members" to effect change. Many, if not most, of the posters here were members at one time, but have seen the error of their ways. The only reason to call the xyz a non-profit is because it promotes no profit for its "members", profits only for itself !

Again, with all due respect, with your long use and enjoyment of THIS site, I suggest you pony up and become a SUPPORTING member. Monies MUCH better spent.

Reply by BobtheElder on 11/2/13 12:04pm
Msg #491018

Re: Membership organization

The problem most of us have with them is they are pushing an agenda that will exclude non-members from the industry many of us on here started... I am a "member" only to the extent of getting their BGC and NNA certification (what a joke) to satisfy a few of my clients, but I do not support their agenda in any way... and they are NOT an industry association, they are a private non-profit company with their own best interests at heart. As has been stated here, a true industry association would have input and representation by members.

Reply by Amigoaz on 11/1/13 11:03pm
Msg #490976

Pamela, I too am a member of xyz, I'm certified & background screened thru April 2014. I took their book & online training before taking their exam. I glance at their newsletters. They have not done anything for me other than the newsletter and being able to claim "Certified".
Last year I took both courses at Notary2Pro. Both were So Much more valuable than the xyz's course. They taught me a lot even though I've done about 1000 closings.
With what xyz has done to us as professional signers and Notaries I will never give them another penny unless they make significant changes to benefit us Notaries.
Although I'm ok with continuing education and proficiency standards. Those should be accompanied by higher fees for experienced professionals, not low-ball offers. They should also be either by a 3rd party independent provider and/or multiple sources for training and background checks.
xyz is only looking out for their bottom line. They act like they really don't care about our success as independent business people. So, I don't care to be a future member of such an organization.
That's just my opinion!

Reply by VT_Syrup on 11/2/13 11:06am
Msg #491010

I've been a member of organizations like the IEEE and NEA where members get to vote on the officers of the organization. Some membership organizations let you vote directly for the president and board of governors, others let you vote for a state delegate who votes for the top officers. It seems to me being a member of the big notary organization is more like being a "member" of Sam's or Costco.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 11/2/13 11:10am
Msg #491011

Another example of a membership organization

Have you given blood at an American Red Cross blood drive, or donated money to them? You are a member for the year in which you donated. You are entitled to attend the annual meeting of your region or chapter, vote for local officers, and vote for a national delegate.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.