Notary Rotary
LSI requiring BCG's every year?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Ilene C. Seidel on 11/1/13 11:37am
Msg #490859

Just received an email as of Jan 2014 we will be required to have a BCG every year. Geez in Maryland we have one for our TPL, Commission and then an independent BCG for the title companies. How many do we need?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/1/13 11:42am
Msg #490862

Ilene - how often does your TPL renew? n/m

Reply by CJ on 11/1/13 12:03pm
Msg #490865

I just got the same email . . .

And of course they are plugging NNA. Can't the state step in and stop all this nonsense? NNA is NOBODY but a group of people with a fancy title and a fleecing operation.

Reply by CJ on 11/1/13 12:06pm
Msg #490867

Can't someone regulate the NNA . . .

And regulate all their schemes to take our money? They don't do ANYTHING useful!

Reply by parkerc/ME on 11/1/13 2:40pm
Msg #490901

Re: Can't someone regulate the NNA . . .

Oh, this is useful...to them! Wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones whispering in the lenders' ears about more frequent background checks for SA's. More $$$ for their coffers... and to publish their totally useless magazine.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/1/13 5:27pm
Msg #490946

Ya think??? ;>) n/m

Reply by BobtheElder on 11/2/13 12:11pm
Msg #491019

Re: Can't someone regulate the NNA . . .

Be careful what you wish for... having the government step in is always a last resort.
I just won't comply with all these idiotic requests. I'll send them what I've got and if they don't like it they can find someone else...

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 11/1/13 12:09pm
Msg #490869

Re: I just got the same email . . .

They are not plugging NNA. Here is the entire email.

Our lender clients are requiring increasingly stringent security expectations for anyone handling their borrower’s personal information. Consistent with this new focus, LSI Title Company will now require that all signing agents complete an annual background check. Effective January 1, 2014, no background check may be more than 12 months old for you to be eligible to receive assignments. An exception will be granted for those who had a background check done in 2012. Those will be valid until the second anniversary in 2014, at which point the background check will be renewed on an annual basis.
As an EXAMPLE: If you completed a background check in November of 2013, your background check is now due to be renewed in November of 2014. Your anniversary month for background check renewal will be November of each year.
Your prompt attention to renewing your background check when required will ensure your profile remains active in LSI’s network. You will receive reminder emails from us in advance of its expiration. Obtaining and maintaining the background check re-certification takes place at your own expense. Additionally, we appreciate your understanding that this requirement was prompted by our top tier client’s contractual provisions and is in accordance with the overall industry direction on this topic.
Two compliant options that are available to you are:
1. If you previously completed a background check through LSI’s LexisNexis/First Advantage portal, you may utilize the below link. You may also utilize this link to secure your first background check through this LSI approved screening company. LSI will automatically update your profile upon the completion of your recertification via our portal (this may take up to 10 days).

Click here.
2. Many members of our network are National Notary Association background screened and we will continue to accept their certification. If you completed your NNA certification in 2013, your screening meets the Standards. The NNA will contact you one year after your last screening to authorize a re-screening at no extra cost.
If you purchased a screening from the NNA in 2012, the NNA will contact you to let know that you need to be re-screened. That screening will be offered at a one-time discounted fee of $39.
If you purchased a screening from the NNA in 2011, you will need to be re-screened. That screening is offered at a new $65 rate.
Upon receipt of your new NNA certification, please fax the certificate without a cover page to (949) 271-0749. You may also send the NNA certificate via email to [e-mail address].
Click here.

If you obtain a background check through an alternate provider, LSI has the right to determine if it contains the necessary components to be compliant with our contractual requirements.

The minimum requirements include the below:

1. Motor vehicle records search

2. Social Security number search

3. County, State, and Federal criminal searches (10 year search where allowable)

4. Nationwide criminal and sex offender database searches

5. USA Patriot Act search (OFAC search)

If you have any questions please contact LSI National Vendor Management Group by sending an email to [e-mail address]. Please understand that due to the high volume of inquiries it may take up to 72 hours for a response. Please include your full name and address in your inquiries.

Thank you,

National Vendor Management

LSI Title Company

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/1/13 12:32pm
Msg #490874

Harry?

"If you obtain a background check through an alternate provider, LSI has the right to determine if it contains the necessary components to be compliant with our contractual requirements.

The minimum requirements include the below:

1. Motor vehicle records search

2. Social Security number search

3. County, State, and Federal criminal searches (10 year search where allowable)

4. Nationwide criminal and sex offender database searches

5. USA Patriot Act search (OFAC search) "

Seems to me this IS included in NotRot's check (they use CrimCheck too) - but if not..here's the criteria (too lazy to go read my BGC to confirm).

Reply by Dennis_IN on 11/1/13 2:19pm
Msg #490894

How about it Harry?

Does NR's background check meets these minimum standards. I need to update mine and would just as soon do it here.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/1/13 2:32pm
Msg #490896

Okay - I dug mine out - here's what's included

1. Criminal Records in Florida from 2005 to Present
2. Criminal Records in Columbia county 2005 to Present
3. All related courts contact - no court records.
4. SSN Trace
5. Florida Motor Vehicle Records (2006 to Present ) = I do recall the NNA report included my CT Motor Vehicle Record.
6. National Sex Offender Search.
7. National Criminal Database
8. Office of Foreign Asset Control - To Include GSA Sanctions & SDN List

The NNA BGC contained a name I have NEVER been known by; both reports contain an address at a P.O. Box that I never had.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/1/13 2:35pm
Msg #490899

Appears to me that NotRot's search more than complies

with the requirements. I'd say the ball is now in Admin's court to get this accepted by others. I certainly intend to continue to support NotRot in any way I can, but if they won't take the steps to get their product accepted, I won't waste the money getting a BGC that won't do me any good.

All due respect and JMHO

Reply by MW/VA on 11/1/13 2:41pm
Msg #490903

I think we've heard from Hugh that Harry was working

on this. It's also up to all of us to stand up to all this. My bgc from NR was a voluntary act on my part, and I think it more than covers the matter. I'm going to stand my ground on that! ;-)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/1/13 2:46pm
Msg #490909

I agree with you Marilynn.

I knuckled under to the "NNA required" language back when I restarted my business - and it did pull in enough business for me to make it worthwhile

But after comparing what's required with what NotRot provides - and finding that NotRot more than meets the criteria, not to mention is more accurate - I'm with you.

Not to mention I'm just getting too old and too tired for this BS.

Reply by desktopfull on 11/1/13 2:42pm
Msg #490905

I agree with your description 100% n/m

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 11/1/13 12:07pm
Msg #490868

Re: Ilene - how often does your TPL renew?

Every two years, we have 16 credit hours of school to qualify, in addition we are BCG'd for the license.

Reply by GY_CT on 11/1/13 1:15pm
Msg #490879

The entire annual BGC requirement is a wholesale absurdity --as if notaries with security risks were running rampant across the nation; as if notaries w/o BGC's were the reason for the financial collapse. "It's a lender requirement" --yes, because they won't own up to their role in the debacle and are covering their guilt by upping their BGC requirement to levels that exceed even the NSA.

And for NNA this is a turn-key cash-cow. They're laughing all the way to the bank. Not only do they have a monopolistic hold on the market with a guaranteed annual revenue, but, to add insult to injury, you've got to be a member to get one of their BGC's. So this works out to a forced membership in NNA.

And is anyone keeping tabs on how many "bad apples" the BGC's are weeding out? Anyone like to guess at that number?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/1/13 5:41pm
Msg #490947

Apparently they've received enough heat on the membership issue, so it now IS possible to get the BGC and certification without membership. Maybe this should be taken as a sign that enough pressure can make a difference. I mention this not to defend them, but because it's very important to present the right facts when trying to fight against something.

Reply by parkerc/ME on 11/1/13 2:34pm
Msg #490897

I just got the same message from LSI. If getting the Lexus-Nexis bcg is going to require membership in XYZ, this independent contractor is going to increase her fees for 2014. (You SAs who are accepting jobs for $xx, take particular note.). May as well go from slower business now, to just occasional jobs. Well, guess I'll have more leisure time to travel. ;-/

Reply by GY_CT on 11/1/13 4:06pm
Msg #490934

It's not the Lexis-Nexis that requires XYZ membership, it's the XYZ one that does. You can do a Lexis-Nexis --but what good is it for? Only LSI. XYZ's is the "universal currency" --and you've got to sign up to get it.

Reply by JimAZ on 11/1/13 10:44pm
Msg #490972

Fired LSI at the beginning of this year for poor communication, lack of documents, and continuous cancellations. I was turning down other business to accommodate many LSI appointments that never happened. My business is up 30% without LSI.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.