Notary Rotary
NNA and the CSS Designation
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Notary On The Go on 11/19/13 11:45pm
Msg #493352

NNA is marketing this new designation of the CSS as a necessary certification you will need to obtain in order to work for members listed on the SPW workgroup. Please refer to NNA’s website for additional information.

While lenders and title companies who belong to the SPW may require this certification, it is important to understand that not ALL lenders and title companies are requiring this certification. However, under the guidelines set forth in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) bulletin, all lenders will be responsible for making certain that all third party vendors are in compliance with certain guidelines. NSAs are third party vendors. Lenders may chose to set up their own compliance programs, to utilize the NNA’s CSS designation, or to utilize a compliant program of another vendor.

NSA's need to be educated about information, including the marketing of the NNA CSS designation and to work with lenders NOT on the SPW to create an alternative compliance program for lenders to utilize for NSAs who do not wish to obtain the NNA CSS designation.

Much work has already been completed by independent NSAs around the country in this effort. Now we need to come together, collaborate our efforts, organize on both a State level and a Federal level to address the specific items we need to address in order to accomplish our goal.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/20/13 2:42am
Msg #493365

And just exactly what IS your goal?? I've been reading lots of noise and complaints about all that's been going on (and I've been amongst the first to acknowledge that there's plenty to complain about), but I've yet to see any concrete achievable objectives get spelled out. (BTW, I'm addressing this post to "you", but that could refer to all, many or a few, as appropriate.)

There appears to be a fair amount of attempts to organize, but the ones with the most to say about that here aren't willing to be up front about who they are. And we've already seen evidence of ulterior motives from some. So to those of you who are trying to lead some kind of effort about this issue, here's what I think is required if you expect anyone to follow:

First, you have to know where you're going, so you need to specify some clear cut goals and objectives. Second, you need to be open about who you are and why you're doing this. (Of course, if someone's agenda is to try to follow the XYZ business model, my guess is that they will be less than transparent about their motives...) If you're not even willing to link to your profile, how do you expect to develop any trust or acquire any followers?

Also, in my personal opinion, hysteria about point systems, threats of "boycotts", and whining about how many background checks we have to pay for isn't getting us anywhere. It just makes us look petty and silly, it reinforces the belief that these steps need to be taken, and makes it easier for the SPW folks to sell the "Code of Conduct" as a solution. If you want to be respected and treated fairly, then you need to put on your thinking caps and behave as professional, rational thinking individuals!

I recommend picking your battles, doing some research to document why certain actions are inappropriate or illegal or bad business (for the lenders and or title co's - they don't give a rip about what's bad business for us and we aren't going to change that), and then finding the right authorities and/or decision makers to direct that correspondence to. A few of you have had some success in that area and we should build on that.

Again, I believe it's imperative that arguments presented address the perspective of those we are trying to influence. See it from THEIR point of view if you want them to listen and do anything about it. When you find someone who cares about a specific issue, then the masses here can be influenced to add their carefully aimed (and worded, hopefully) fuel to the fire.

That's my rant for the day. Wink

Reply by Scriba/NM on 11/20/13 5:11pm
Msg #493457

Janet - Couldn't Have Said It Better!

Most of what's on this board is babbling about how the masses should rise up against the "Evil Empire" and extended yammering about starting this or that resistance group, and getting background checks for $12.50 and Certifications from Lumpy's Signing Service. That'll show 'em! The diatribe just sounds more and more like the crazies that resist paying income tax.

One can do all that jumping about, shrieking and hand-wringing, but at the end of the day it will be what it will be. A bunch of complaining, non-compliant notaries just won't be getting any work, no matter what. Maybe that's what they want.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/20/13 5:50pm
Msg #493461

Re: Janet - Couldn

I not suggesting that we all just fold and go along. I'm saying that if those who want to make a difference, should pick some specific achievable objectives (e.g. getting the FNF release modified to an acceptable format, amending a few of the code items, and perhaps completely ditching the script), and be transparent about who they are. And yes, quit acting like a mob threatening to revolt.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/20/13 7:26pm
Msg #493477

JanetK-your points are what I put in my call to XYZ earlier n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.