Notary Discussion History

New report about FL notaries who are felons
Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 11/18/13 6:24pm
Msg #493195

New report about FL notaries who are felons

This is pretty interesting!

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/action-9-investigates-criminal-notaries/nbxDL/

"Many felons who have an active notary license are in state prison." Seriously????

Reply by 101livescan on 11/18/13 6:28pm
Msg #493196

Wow, well they've got their $&*#$ together in FL. Great show Floridian law enforcers!

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/18/13 9:42pm
Msg #493206

Perspective on Florida's SOS

MY ROTTEN TOMATO RAINCOAT IS SECURED - FIRE AWAY
*I welcome corrections to my math, if any.
========================================

I cannot speak to all of the other cases that Action 9 has produced, but I would like to point out that I carefully researched the Baptiste complaint.

FACT - The Florida SOS initiated the management of this complaint within two weeks. The notary responded; more questions were asked and she did not answer them. At that point, the state suspended her commission by Executive Order.

FACT - The notary has not been charged with a crime. I suggest that is because there is no evidence that a crime has been committed by the notary. There is a good argument that the notary was also the victim of ID fraud. The notary was investigated and did not complete the second round of questions - that is why her commission was suspended.

PERSPECTIVE - 400 notaries who are felons is .001% of 400,000--all notaries in Florida. That's not ONE PERCENT...that is 1% divided by 1000. (Please do check my math.)

ACCURACY - I also would like for Action 9 to find out if the 400 notaries were criminals BEFORE they received their commissions, or after they received them. [Actually it would not be a bad idea for Florida (all states?) to cross-reference indictments with the state's notary database! That is one thing that I think COULD be helpful.]

Until those things are answered, I will not get excited about the accusations against the Florida SOS. I am ALL for cleaning up notaries and government, but as a practical matter, Action 9 has just handed an organization that shall remain nameless the golden keys to Florida. I would check the math and challenge them on their methodology in fact finding if I lived in Florida.

QUESTION - I want to know how Action 9 found that info so quickly!! We note that Florida has about 400,000 notaries. It would take about five to ten minutes to run one through a BCG database for a hit, not complete accuracy, nor a picture of when the crime took place (before or after commission was issued), but a hit and a requirement to match DOB and other information.

Let's say five minutes - That would be about 500 minutes, a little over 8 hours a day. If I did 100 quick BGCs per day for a month, I could have covered 30K notaries in 30 days.

400,000 Florida notaries/ divided by 30000 a month = roughly 13.33 months.

In order to get this information together so quickly, Action 9 had four to eight people working 8 hrs a day for three or four months processing these.

MY OPINION - This is, in my opinion, a witch hunt in Florida's SOS office. The motivator of this hunt can be found in video, I believe....but I shall make no accusations.

===================================
**Sally Baptiste said she is a victim of notary fraud.

A notary validated documents used to steal her father's estate.

She said she expected Action 9 to find serious problems with Florida notary supervision.

"What I've seen with notary fraud and what the state is doing, I'm not surprised, but I am disgusted," said Baptiste.**

Reply by jba/fl on 11/19/13 8:55am
Msg #493222

Re: Perspective on Florida

I am perturbed as Action 9 found all those licensed notaries in Florida and I have yet to receive mine. Speaks to their "authority" and "accuracy" in their findings.

Gotta go - asking LindaH if she got her license and if so, where might mine be.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/19/13 9:34am
Msg #493230

There's been rumor of removing the "convicted felon"

requirement from the VA Notary criteria. I shudder at that one.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/19/13 10:46am
Msg #493247

Don'tcha just love rumors? They make it exciting here. n/m

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/19/13 11:00pm
Msg #493348

I found this to be harder to believe:

"According to the National Notary Association, eight states won't license felons as notaries"

Only eight? The other 42 only care if they can fog a mirror? No wonder the lenders are insisting on a BGC...

Reply by jba/fl on 11/19/13 11:02pm
Msg #493350

My state doesn't license anyone. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.