Notary Rotary
Potential Virus warning
Notary Discussion History

Potential Virus warning
Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by ikando on 11/1/13 12:56pm
Msg #490875

Potential Virus warning

I am a follower of Kim Komando, who often has good information to help us protect our computers. On October 28 she posted information about the CryptoLocker ransomware. She posts:

"This is important. If you get CryptoLocker, disconnect from your wired or wireless network immediately or else other systems on the network will become infected too."

Then she references how it may get to your computer--emails purported to be from Fed-X, UPS or DHL. Here is a link to that article. http://goo.gl/8dlKGd

Hope none of us gets infected.

Reply by sueharke on 11/1/13 4:47pm
Msg #490941

I'm glad you posted this. I follow Kim Komando too. My paranoid beliefs on computer security are

1. Always backup your computer to an external source that is not connected to your computer network or wi-fi. I use USB external drives to backup the entire computer, not just the data. Be sure to scan for viruses or malware before backing up the computer.
2. Never open an attachment from someone I don't know and cannot confirm who sent it. Delete it.
3. Never forward an email from a large group of people. Delete it.
4. If someone wants to send me a joke, please embed it into the email, not as an attachment as it will be deleted immediately.

In other words, don't open an attachment that you are not expecting (such as loan docs). Learn how backup, backup, and backup some more.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.