Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Remember. Signing Agents wear TWO hats ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by BobbiCT on 11/20/13 8:07am
Msg #493377

From one of my ancient posts of the NASA, pre NNA Signing Agent, days. A reminder when posting or reviewing "compliance requirements" and rules. Please be clear in your post: Are you addressing a Signing Agent or Notary Public issue? Not all notaries are signing agents.

Signing Agents wear TWO hats:

1. Signing Agent. An unregulated title for an independent contractor (or employee) who works for a private company under that company's vendor requirements and standards. The VENDOR company tells the SIGNING AGENT what to do and how to comply with VENDOR requirements in connection with document signings, of which notarization may be an ancillary function.

2. Notary Public. A PUBLIC official commissioned by your State. A NOTARY complies with State laws and regulations and reports ONLY to his/her STATE commissioning official. Only a STATE tells a NOTARY what to do and how it should be done.

Please forgive the redundancy; not a slam at anyone or an endorsement of any organization. For example, the NNA has BOTH a notary public membership division AND a Signing Agent membership division (also a Notary Public) - two different sets of news, changes and general notary public (not signing agent related) state specific issues. The Signing Professionals Workgroup addresses "Signing Agent" issues, which do not impact the notary public functions performed under state laws and regulations.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/20/13 8:52am
Msg #493384

there are recent changes for Notary Publics across the US? excuse my ignorance; just trying to keep up. All I've been reading about has been NSA's-oriented, that I can tell.

Reply by BobbiCT on 11/20/13 9:13am
Msg #493389

Reply. Notary Public law/regulation changes

Hit the Easy Button Smile
This is where you want to keep in touch with your STATE commissioning office at least annually. After each legislative session closes, the call to your State notary public office: "Hi! Are there any changes to AL's notary laws from this past legislative session?"

Changes happen every year ... or ten years - every state is different. For example, Connecticut still only allows travel at 35 cents per mile MAXIMUM (for over ten years, repeated attempts to introduce legislation to increase the rate at a minimum to float with the IRS reimbursment rate never make it to committee or die in committee). Effective Oct. 1, 2012, a law was passed giving CT notaries the power to certify copies, introduced particulary so that students do not need to obtain a certified copy of their transcript or documents directly from their high school or college. (My problem: If I have never seen the school's original transcript form, how do I tell what is presented is an "unaltered original"?) Because the CT SOTS is NOT obligated to notify notaries public of changes in the law, most of CT's notaries do not know about this new law (and don't care, since they "only notarize documents for their employer").

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/20/13 9:36am
Msg #493397

Re: Reply. Notary Public law/regulation changes

OK, so if someone posted w/title "certifying copies" I would get that as a GNW post. Yes, it only is logical that one would have to see the original & make the copy themselves/or see the original and carefully review/compare EVERYTHING on that copy--to competently certify it. From years of examining documentation already reviewed by other professionals, I can tell you that, many professionals are lax in this review capacity.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.