Notary Rotary
So why can't I....
Notary Discussion History

So why can't I....
Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by ladyknc on 11/29/13 11:53am
Msg #494383

So why can't I....

So why can't I tell a signing/title co (mostly signing company) that I will charge lets say at least $50.00 more than we would agree to normally for the siging and if the docs are okay (none left out) or (there are no mistakes that we have to call you about and then possibly wait 30 to 45 minutes for you to email the corrected docs to the borrower) (after driving lets say 35 to 50 miles to the signing) then the borrower prints out the correct pages and OH Yeah because the loan officer or whoever told the innocent borrower that there will not be "CLOSING COSTS" and noone called the to go over the HUD with them so then the borrowr sees that there are 3 to 4 thousand dollars added to the loan amount and they are furious and nice notary that we can be WE EXPLAIN TO THEM ABOUT THE PRORATED TAXES, THE ESCROWS ETC because we want YOUR loan to close we SALVAGE YOUR LOAN, YOUR COMMISSION AND THE FULL SIGING FEE THAT, you. THE SIGNING COMPANY WOULD GET BECAUSE IT CLOSED SINCE YOU DO NOT WANT TO COMPENSATE ME FOR THE MISTAKES THAT WERE MADE

Reply by ladyknc on 11/29/13 12:03pm
Msg #494386

hitt return by accident. end of the sentence

WHEN I CALL TO DISCUSS THAT I DID ALL THE ABOVE BUT I DID NOT HAVE TO -- COULD OF LEFT TO GO TO ANOTHER POSSIBLE SIGNING APPT BUT I STUCK IT OUT FOR ALL OF YOU INCLUDING THE BORROWER AND I CALL TO ASK THAT YOU UP MY FEE TO COMPENSATE. ALL YOU CAN SAY IT WE DO OT PAY ANYMORE BECAUSE OTHER NOTARIES HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS CORRECTIONS TOO. BY THE WAY IF THE LOAN GOES SMOOTH AS IT SHOULD HAVE THEN I REALLY WOULD CALL BACK AND SAY OK YOU CAN NOT SEND ME THE $50.00 ETC.

would you not trust me to do that? Afterall I am the one that has to keep sending in background checks, get continuing education, do webinars, seminars, up my E&0 amount plus, and the list goes on. Seems as if you could trust me on returning the extra money. It is so darn obvious that most title/signing companies do not give a crap about we notaries. So to SigningTrac, Nations Direct, Global Notary who basically say to us notaries "screw up" we will find some other notary. Then so be it. You never want to pay us when we do go the extra mile for you, the loan comany, and the borrower (who by the way is so grateful that we are there) Do you not realize that more borrowers complain than praise you guys. But do you care - because afterall you probably will not be doing a loan for them again anyway. Just get is closed. Been doing this for a long time and yes I am angry at you. How dare you be so selfish and uncaring not to just us notaries but the consumer. Call it Karma I call it the Bible but the Bible does say "you reap what you sow".

Reply by MistarellaFL on 11/29/13 12:06pm
Msg #494387

Oh, but you can!

But I wouldn't wait until after the signing to renegotiate the fee, if warranted.
I would do that while I am at the brws location in real time.
Then again, I don't deal with many SS, and my fees are usually enough to compensate for any minor glitches.
And, if there are any issues with fees, I am on the phone with loan officers, brokers and title companies and allow them to explain any fees the brw says they do not agree with, or escrows not agreed to. Not my job to save that loan, although I will try to assist the brw with some things they don't understand, but adding additional fees and escrows not agreed to are not included. The broker/LO should be the one going over the HUD with the brw BEFORE we arrive for signing. I know it doesn't always happen, but I think it should.
One thing I can help them understand is the difference between closing costs vs pro-rated taxes and other costs associated with the loan that are not considered closing costs.

Reply by ladyknc on 11/29/13 12:12pm
Msg #494390

Re: Oh, but you can!

Sad thing is oftentimes you can reach anyone to go over the hud with and if it does not sign that day then they lose their rate lock. I definitely like your suggestion to negotiate at the borrowers. Next time I will do. I do intend to contact the title and loan company regarding this particular company and shame on me for not checking NR first. I had worked for them before with no problem but things have changed.

ULTIMATELY I HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSBILITY

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 11/30/13 7:32am
Msg #494450

There's that "fine line"

<"because the loan officer or whoever told the innocent borrower that there will not be "CLOSING COSTS" and no one called to go over the HUD with them so then the bor sees that there are 3 to 4 thousand dollars added to the loan amount and they are furious and nice notary that we can be WE EXPLAIN TO THEM ABOUT THE PRORATED TAXES, THE ESCROWS ETC because we want YOUR loan to close . . .">

What is WRONG with this picture?

IMO ladyknc, you acted in good faith, but cannot charge more - after the fact. They already have the impression that we are there to "facilitate the signing of loan docs (i.e., facilitate the transaction - which couldn't happen w/out the facilitation of the docs!!). Wonder how they got THAT idea???

(I've updated my profile; NO Hud in advance=nsa fee vs. notary witness)

Tag: closing agent, notary agent, facilitator (tightrope), sub-agent, closer, exposure, upl, e&o upgrade

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 11/30/13 7:47am
Msg #494451

caveat: nsa profile not aligned with VA n/m

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 11/30/13 7:48am
Msg #494452

caveat: nsa profile not aligned with VA

(oops) licensing expectations

Reply by MW/VA on 11/30/13 9:51am
Msg #494468

It seems very odd, because I see very little discrepancy

due to Page 3 of the HUD where they have to tie those final nos. to the GFE.
No, I wouldn't go into in-depth explanations of the nos. or expect to charge more for it.
It's time to get the LO on the phone. If unavailable, they should have the 3 day recission period to get their questions answered before the loan funds.
I wouldn't be involved in acting such a way that could be construed as pressuring or coercing the borrowers to sign the docs.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.