Notary Rotary
Suggestions for replacement laser printer, please
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Sharon Taylor on 11/3/13 6:07pm
Msg #491141

I'm using my Staples Rewards to help pay for this, so my preferred store is Staples. The only All-in-One they have in-store that handles 14" paper is a Brother MFC8710DW wireless laser All-in-One, not a color printer, SKU 728463. Unfortunately it's a big monster of a machine, even without a 2nd tray which I would have to buy separately. Cost is $400, but I'm going to try to catch it on sale and will also turn in an old broken printer for $50 discount.
They can order a printer from their catalog/online selection, but this is the only one in-store with a 14" scanner/copy bed.
What laser printer(s) have you bought recently, and what do you like/dislike about them?
Thanks for helping.

Reply by Robert522TX on 11/3/13 6:12pm
Msg #491143

I have a dual tray Brother MFC8950DW and I love love love it!

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 11/3/13 6:19pm
Msg #491144

Thank you, Robert. That's the kind of info I need. Glad to hear you love your MFC8950DW. I'll take a look at it at the Staples website now.

Reply by Catrina Stenvers on 11/4/13 10:25am
Msg #491187

I also have this model and I think it is the perfect printer for a signing agent. Very user friendly and dependable. I ordered mine through Costco and also ordered the 2nd tray, holds an amazing amount of paper, and the toner is reasonable- averages 12,000 pages for $100

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/3/13 9:40pm
Msg #491164

You might be better off using your Staples Rewards for supplies and shopping for a printer online via eBay or other site. There are very good refurbished/slightly used printers available for considerably less than you quoted. I paid less than $200 (including shipping) for a slightly used HP 2430 dtn. Fast, heavy duty, and with a dual tray. There is a certain risk involved, of course, but that was two or three years ago and it's already printed more than 150,000 pages for me.

I also bought another all-in-one printer for less than $100 to use for faxing and making copies. It's a little Canon Image Class, which fits easily on top of my file cabinets. I don't necessarily recommend it, as it doesn't copy legal size on the flatbed, and the buttons and functions can be a bit confusing when you're used to other brands, but it's been trouble free. Since then, theoretically with what I've saved since the, I treated myself to a Fujitsu Scan Snap, which is a jewel.

Everyone has their own priorities, but as soon as possible, I decided to migrate away from the all-in-one concept because I didn't want to lose everything if one thing broke. I'm not sure I'd go the same route today in this market, but I'm also not so sure I'd want to spend the money on new equipment. That's just me. And this is just a "suggestion" to consider.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 11/3/13 11:46pm
Msg #491174

Re: If you want to stay with Brother

you should search "brother refurbished laser printer" on Staples website. Brother refurbs come with the same 1 year Brother warranty as a "new" unit and are usally an excellant buy. Quick shipping to store usally. and you can still use your discount and trade in. A second paper tray, and in some cases a third, can be added, but must be bought separately. The trays must be shopped for carefully, as they can be pricey at full retail, but can be found at a discount, and depending on the model.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 11/4/13 9:11am
Msg #491183

Prefer HP, but Brother has the 14" scan/copy bed

Thank you, Robert, JanetK, and BrotherOwner for such good detailed help. I've always bought HP, but my local Staples doesn't have any HP with the 14" bed, not at the price I want to pay and not with a reverse-printing feature. The Brother printer does. I don't use reverse printing, of course, for notary work, but I do use reverse-printing a lot for personal paperwork. I'll follow up on these suggestions. I hadn't thought of buying refurbished since the laser printer is such an essential tool for us mobile notaries. And I didn't know Staples sold refurbished ones. My local Staples is great, the best for customer service, so I'd be confident buying a refurbished one through them.
I've priced 2nd trays for the Brother MFC8710DW on the secondary market and gulped at the cost, which ranged from $137 to over $200.
Any one else who has advice or specific models you use and like for mobile notary work, please post.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 11/4/13 10:10am
Msg #491185

Sharon-please do search online. The in-store models

are lower end, not really meant for a busy office. you will find faster speed, higher duty cycle, better prices online.
fyi: I have Brother 6180DWT and a MFC 8690DW and while I have been happy with performance the MFC needed replacement parts after 1 year and I am currently NOT pleased with Brother customer service. I have been trying to get a replacement toner for a defective one for almost a week and can't get a call back Frown(

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/4/13 11:42am
Msg #491195

I have a Brother MFC 8460

I hate it - have posted before how it curls legal paper something awful - no matter what paper I use or what I do.

I got an HP 4300dtn on ebay for $200 - added a 2-year Square Trade warranty for about $25 - my tech commented on what a great printer this was...I love it

For copying, light scanning, faxing and letter size the Brother is fine - for legal it's not.

JMHO

Reply by Luckydog on 11/4/13 1:21pm
Msg #491208

Re: I have a Brother MFC 8460

Hi Linda...I also have the Brother 8460, and the paper does curl on occasion. The problem is the humidity in FL, not the printer. If I have paper that has been open and sitting in the printer for awhile, this happens, however, if I open a new ream, it does not. That being said, I believe it is the paper exposure to our climate more so than the printer. Just my opinion, but I LOVE my printers, and run 2 of them, and the prices on the toner cannot be beat. I also buy my paper from Costco; Multi purpose Advantage brand which works well.

Reply by Lynchburg Notary Group, LLC - Irene Knowles on 11/4/13 4:52pm
Msg #491225

Re: I have a Brother MFC-8710DW

I bought the above machine based on the reviews from Staples and have found that it is the best, low maintenance machine I have ever owned. I paid about $25 less than the advertised one below. I Love my machine.

http://www.staples.com/MFC+8710/directory_MFC+8710

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/4/13 5:19pm
Msg #491233

I hear you about humidity - but beg to differ that it's

not the printer - I've heard this complaint from others outside Florida and in researching the problem found that it's common for this printer. Also, there's low humidity in my house.

BTW, I get no paper curl whatsoever with my HP.

Reply by garyw148 on 11/4/13 9:19pm
Msg #491274

I have a Brother 5340DT (duel tray) and have had it for over 2 years with no problems. It will sellect letter or legal if you chose sellect based on PDF size. It is the best printer I have had so far.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.