Notary Rotary
What are the rules please refresh me...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by MSSigner on 11/5/13 5:54am
Msg #491308

What are the rules on notarizing a family member. I thought I read it that it was a conflict of interest and you couldn't. However I was told by another notary that he notarizes family all the time and thought it was strange that I wouldn't. Please refresh me..

thank you

Reply by apsnltch on 11/5/13 6:19am
Msg #491309

In Michigan you are not allowed to notarize family members...I do not know if other states are different but would think it would be a precautionary measure.

Reply by Roger_OH on 11/5/13 7:11am
Msg #491310

In Ohio, you may notarize for relatives so long as you have NO interest in, or benefit from, the document.

Don't get involved in with family estate or financial documents. There are plenty of mobile notaries in your area available right here on NotRot that will be happy to help, and remove any potential conflict of interest issues.

In short - if in doubt, don't do it.

Visit www.ohionotaries.org for valuable and free info about many Ohio signing situations.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/5/13 7:13am
Msg #491312

It's a state-specific regulation...here in FL we cannot

notarize for our spouse, parent or child

According to the Cincinnati Bar Association, you can as long as you don't have a financial interest in the transaction - page 7:

"A Notary may take the acknowledgment of a relative, even a wife or husband, if he himself has no interest in the transaction."

http://www.cincybar.org/_files/files/Notary_Manual.pdf

Reply by LynnNC on 11/5/13 9:03am
Msg #491327

In NC, you may notarize for relatives so long as you have NO interest in, or benefit from, the document.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.