Notary Rotary
Why owners' title insurance?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by SharonMN on 11/26/13 10:34am
Msg #494134

I thought you might find the linked story useful. It describes a scenario in which an owners' title policy would protect a homeowner. My experience is that many people have never even heard of an owners' policy (vs. the required lenders' policy), but when you consider the amount of $ you'd be out in the event of a title issue that means the home was not lawfully sold to you or the title was not properly transferred, it's well worth the few hundred bucks. Obviously this is not something signing agents should discuss with borrowers, but I thought some of you might like to understand this for your own information.

http://www.tmsfeatures.com/columns/real-estate-home/real-estate-matters/25507379.html?articleURL=http://rss.tmsfeatures.com/websvc-bin/rss_story_read.cgi?resid=201311171500TMS_____REALESTM_ctnig-a_20131124

Reply by MW/VA on 11/26/13 10:46am
Msg #494138

I see purchases of an owners' title policy all the time with

REO's & foreclosures. Yes, it's usually standard with a purchase, but not an issue with refi's.

Reply by SharonMN on 11/26/13 10:49am
Msg #494141

Re: I see purchases of an owners

Must be different in Virginia. In MN owners' title policy is optional and most people don't purchase it. I believe you are correct that if you bought a owners' policy at the time of purchase you should be OK skipping it on a refi because the original policy would cover you for any title defects up to the date of purchase.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/26/13 10:56am
Msg #494142

Two other points of view..

in CT, lender's coverage is mandatory - Owner's policy is optional and is a buy expense

in FL - owners' title insurance is mandatory and is automatically issued at closing and paid for by Seller - it's guaranteeing to buyers that Sellers have clear title to convey to buyers.

Saw many instances in CT where an Owners' Title Insurance policy came in handy - it's pricey as it's based on purchase price (or appraised value if after the fact) - buy an owner's policy and mortgage policy is no additional charge - but IMO it's well worth it. People pay a fortune for frivolous insurance ANNUALLY to insure just about everything *just in case* but won't spend a one-time premium to protect what may possibly be their single most substantial investment of their lifetime.

JMO

Reply by VT_Syrup on 11/26/13 12:15pm
Msg #494146

Re: Two other points of view..

Another possibility is that if the buyer hired an attorney to search title, the buyer may have a malpractice claim against the attorney. But there would be a lot of if, and, or buts connected to that.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 11/26/13 3:12pm
Msg #494161

FL does not require an owner's policy be issued

Most buyers get one anyway since it is customary for the seller to pay the cost of the owner's policy in a traditional buyer/seller transaction.

Many new home purchase contracts are written to show the buyer bearing all the title insurance costs, but most give seller concessions that would cover the owner's policy along with other fees and charges, especially when the buyer is using the sellers own in house lender and/or title company.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/26/13 3:34pm
Msg #494163

Maybe that's new - when we bought out lot in Polk

County and our house in Columbia County - Owner's Policy was automatically provided by seller.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 11/26/13 3:45pm
Msg #494167

It is customary for the seller to provide an owner's policy

and most contracts are written to include it, but it is not mandatory.

When the purchase contract is written to show the owner's policy as a buyer's cost, some buyers decline the coverage.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/26/13 4:18pm
Msg #494170

Yes, I'm sure it's offered, but isn't necessary in a refi

since they already purchased it at the time of their purchase.

Reply by Matt_VA on 11/26/13 2:39pm
Msg #494157

Re: Why owners

In what other business transaction does a customer pay for insurance for the seller party?
I have never been quite able to grasp this, but it's in every transaction! And try to explain to the borrower.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/26/13 3:35pm
Msg #494164

It doesn't cover the Seller... ?? n/m

Reply by dgd/CA on 11/26/13 8:26pm
Msg #494193

Re: Why owners

Owners Title Insurance (CLTA, California Land Title) is a requirement for any purchase in California. While the Seller can pay for it, they rarely do. Once title is transferred, the Seller no longer owns the property, and his/her/their original policy is void.

The Title Companies must guarantee "clear title" to the new owners. That basically means that the new owner(s) can sleep soundly as their ownership is transferred with "no clouds on title," i.e.; free of liens (other than the new mortgage[s]), no outstanding Deeds, etc. (This is accomplished by running the prperty and title history, which results in the Preliminary Report.) The Owners Policy actually insures that the Title Company has done its' job, as is required by law.

I will use myself as an example. I purchased a forclosure. Two months after COE, I received a Notice of Action/Lien against the property which had been filed 6 months before my purchase, wanting the situation "cleared" as well as a fine of $300.00 with daily interest until satisfied. I immediately contacted the T/C (you know, the largest one in the U.S., lol). Of course, at the end of the day, they're just Insurance Companies. Insurance Companies don't make money paying out claims. They honestly tried telling me (fortunately in writing) that as I had purchased the property "as is," payment of the lien was not their responsibility. Of course, they had no idea of my background in Residential Lending. Well dang, suffice it to say that after another 6 months, once I contacted our states Department of Insurance and filed a complaint, it paid out more than $1,000.00 to remove the "cloud on my title," hence, returning my ownership status to "clear."

Sad really, particularly as I learned the lien had been known to the T/C prior to closing (the Escrow Officer failed to secure an update to a public record, and, as the Lender was one of their better clients, simply wanted to close the deal quickly). By doing so, that small lien held First Position over my mortgage.

Paying for an Owners Policy is truly a one time deal. It remains in place for as long as those buyers/owners hold vested interest in the property .. regardless of the number of times they may choose to refinance, it cannot be charged again.

Also, I recognize that experienced NSAs understand this. However; I wrote "simply" in that I am aware of the number of new NR/NSAs to our field and forum.

BTW, is this where I state "...not an attorney, JMHO?"

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.