Notary Rotary
help for independent contractors.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by PA_Notary_II on 11/13/13 7:38am
Msg #492487

Article in the AM paper regarding tax fraud through misclassification.....Take heed XYZ,SPW, TC's and SS's.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2013/11/12/2779522/bill-aims-to-protect-workers-wrongly.html

Reply by 101livescan on 11/13/13 8:15am
Msg #492492

I am searching in my emails and on my laptop to find the form I signed with Fidelity that quantifies me as an IC...signed it earlier this year, and every year previous that I've worked for Fidelity and its affiliates.

Reply by CinOH on 11/13/13 11:46am
Msg #492525

"The practice is known as misclassification. In the most basic terms, if the employer is directing the worker, including setting his or her schedule, telling the worker what to do, when to do it and how to do it, the worker should be listed as an employee, according to federal rules."

This one sentence sums it all up. This constitutes pretty much 99%, if not 100%, of all loan closing assignments.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/13/13 12:00pm
Msg #492526

The more specific they get, the more we look like employees vs. ICs. The "what" needs to be addressed on some level, even with ICs, and setting an appointment for us could probably be considered a gray area. But clearly, the "how to" is where the conflicts are the most flagrant. And giving us a script seems to be about as extreme a way of directing someone's actions as I can think of.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.