Notary Rotary
it was bound to happen.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by notarydi/CA on 11/22/13 10:08pm
Msg #493791

given all the driving around that I do, I figured eventually I would get in a car accident. Unfortunately, it was two blocks from home while I sat waiting to get gas at the local gas station. Someone backed in to me and then took off. Got out, but was unable to get a good license plate number of the vehicle. Of course, no one else saw anything and the gas station owner's surveillance cameras would not show anything (according to the owner). My insurance company said sometimes the cameras are just for "show". They are not really connected or working. I think he just did not want to get involved. Anyway, car repairs = $2500.

Lesson learned = According to the police officer that responded, if I file a police report on a hit and run, it just goes as a "ding" on my DMV record....since there is no other driver's license/license plate to connect it to. Unbelievable. Needless to say I passed on the police report.

thanks for listening to my vent!

Reply by Linda Juenger on 11/22/13 10:59pm
Msg #493793

Sorry that happened to you. I use to own a gas station and my camera's worked ALL the time. The police can ask for the tape to review it. I would ask the police to ask for it.

I just totaled my trailblazer a month ago. A guy turned right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and hit him that fast. I hit his front passenger wheel and bent it completely inward and then he kept going and I got the entire side of his car. My vehicle was 9yrs old and had 180,000 on it, so that's why it was totaled. His was older too and it wasn't fixable. I too was about a mile from home.

So, I was forced to get a different vehicle. My hubby has been bugging me for a year to start looking for something else. Now I have a car payment. boo and work is so slow. Glad you are ok. I am too.

Reply by notarydi/CA on 11/22/13 11:36pm
Msg #493794

and, another thing.....

of course, it had to happen when business is picking up at month end. Nothing like trying to juggle signings, car repair estimates, late docs, insurance claims adjustor, last minute/late night signings, and picking up a rental car. Just feelin' blessed to have the business right now, tho!

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/23/13 1:07pm
Msg #493834

notarydi--insur co doesn't require copy of police report? n/m

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 11/23/13 12:45am
Msg #493798

wow, sorry for you both...but notarydi, you may need the

police report to give to your insurance company...no?

Reply by Julie/MI on 11/23/13 7:15am
Msg #493809

A ding on your record when you are parked?????

Will your insurance pay for the repairs or do you have to pay out of pocket?

Reply by notarydi/CA on 11/23/13 7:35am
Msg #493810

my insurance company (AAA) confirmed what the officer told me....said it was up to me if I wanted to file a police report....seemed kind of pointless to me....so, I did not file a report....just have to pay my deductible.....$1K. Need a new taillight assembly, rear bumper repair, and passenger side panel repaired......Frown

Reply by MW/VA on 11/23/13 8:35am
Msg #493816

I've heard of more hit & runs going on. It's a shame but

people are avoiding having to use their insurance (if they even have it, that is).

Reply by Susan/CA on 11/23/13 9:37am
Msg #493818

Doesn't uninsured motorist coverage cover this? Or do you need a police report? I am paying for uninsured motorist coverage which I believe applies in this situation, right? Either way, sorry to hear about this but I'm glad your okay.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/23/13 9:46am
Msg #493819

UM coverage usually doesn't apply to vehicle damage

it only applies to the personal injury aspect of it. Collision coverage applies here.

I'm puzzled how this person hit the OP so hard as to cause $2500 damage, including a rear fender panel (?) and still managed to drive off.

I'd have called the police and gotten the report - in line at a gas station? Witnesses can vouch for her being stopped - as will the tapes...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/23/13 9:48am
Msg #493820

And I call BS on the "ding on your DMV record"

YOU need to get someone who can pursue this for you - sounds to me like you got a lazy cop who didn't want to investigate further and write up the report - so basically, this keeping it quiet costs you $2500.00? BS

Reply by MW/VA on 11/23/13 6:50pm
Msg #493887

As I understand it, UM cover you if the other person doesn't

have insurance. UM's have to pay something like $600 here in VA.
I don't know this for sure, but couldn't hit & run be covered by Comprehensive? I know they've covered me when my car has been "keyed", etc.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/23/13 7:22pm
Msg #493890

UM covers the bodily injury only - does not cover

property damage - collision covers the property damage.

Your example of a keyed car under comprehensive is the vandalism portion. My car damage was covered under comprehensive when a deer jumped out in front of me on the parkway in CT -

When another vehicle is involved it's either their property damage coverage or your collision coverage...but not the UM

Reply by SharonMN on 11/26/13 10:45am
Msg #494137

Re: UM coverage usually doesn

>>>I'm puzzled how this person hit the OP so hard as to cause $2500 damage, including a rear fender panel (?) and still managed to drive off.

Wow, LindaH, when's the last time you had any auto body work done? Today's cars are designed so that the tiniest tap (which wouldn't even damage a car like a 1985 Olds Delta 88) will result in $2000 worth of damage. It's all those fiberglass/plastic pieces.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.