Notary Rotary
split signing closing questions
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by mobile2goFL on 11/27/13 6:52am
Msg #494221

I am doing my first split signing where one owner out of state signs the docs first then emailed to me and then I go to the second owner to do signing. I have never done one before so I do not know if they have separate sheets for the second signee. or if I just have to undersign and restamp each page. can anyone give me some insight as to what ill need to do or expect.

thanks\mark

Reply by VT_Syrup on 11/27/13 7:20am
Msg #494222

First, the docs can't be emailed; the physical docs with the signatures from the first signer(s) and the first notary will have to be shipped to you or the second signer(s).

There should be blanks for your signers to sign; you will have to provide a new certificate to document the acknowledgements you took or the oaths you administered. If you have rubber stamps for the certificates, you might have room on the existing pages, otherwise, you will need a supply of loose certificates. You will need at least two kinds, acknowledgements and jurats. Some notaries make up their own, and have a supply of both legal size paper and letter size paper to match the document you're attaching to.

Leave the existing certificates from the previous notary alone, even if they have errors. It isn't your place to try to fix any problem with the prior certificates.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/27/13 8:15am
Msg #494226

I think this is a good explanation. Always make sure your

ack reads that you are notarizing only for the person who's signing in front of you. It's been known to happen that the 1st notary "forgets" to line through one of the names.

Reply by LadyCA on 11/27/13 1:13pm
Msg #494268

Re: I think this is a good explanation. Always make sure your

I had a split signing the other day , I was the first notary and I basically circled the borrower's name that was in front of me in the notarizations that way they know who exactly I notarized during the signing.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/27/13 1:38pm
Msg #494275

I line through the other name & initial. It's SOP. n/m

Reply by Jack/AL on 11/27/13 7:27am
Msg #494223

You said the docs will be signed by the first signer and then emailed to you. I hope you meant that they will be overnighted to you. If emailed, they are useless to you, since you'd not be working with the originals. As for your part: some title companies include the appropriate pages of jurats and acknowledgements for the second part of the signing, while some don't. If your pages are included, be certain that what you complete (acknowledgements and jurats) include the name of the second signer, since you are not in the presence of the first signer. For those that don't have your pages included, you'll have to attach a loose ack/jurat, for your signer only. I normally just use the same wording as that in the acks/jurats for the first signer, as long as they are compliant with my state's regulations, but you'll be safe to call the TC/SS and ask for clarification. If is importnant to not mark on documents already signed by the first signer, except for the signing by the second, and adding their printed name and date (where necessary). Be certain to NOT make any marks on the acknowledgements and jurats of the first notary public. Call the TC as needed, before and during the signing.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 11/27/13 12:50pm
Msg #494264

Re: split signing, courtesy to 2nd notary

When I am the first notary involved in a split signing, I use loose certs so that the 2nd notary may use the ones included in the docs. I have yet to have one that included 2 notary certs where needed, so either the first or the 2nd notary needs to use loose certs. This way I can include a note when shipping the docs to the 2nd notary that I left the certs for them to use. They are always happy I did so!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.