Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Reggie007 on 11/7/13 8:55am
Msg #491722

trustee signings

Can anyone help me with how a co trustee signs docs

Reply by MW/VA on 11/7/13 9:26am
Msg #491731

Call your hiring party. Different cos. want trust docs

signed in different ways. By example, some want only the name signed, while others want all the verbage too.

Reply by CJ on 11/7/13 9:56am
Msg #491742

I agree: call your ss or title.

If you have them sign Trustee, and they didn't want trustee, they will have to redraw. If you don't sign trustee, and they did want it, maybe the same thing. I have also been told things like "They must hand-write in cursive the word Trustee". (Some borrowers think that printing is hand-writing, because they printed it by hand.) Call your hiring people and let them tell you how they want it.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/7/13 1:08pm
Msg #491787

Re: I agree: call your ss or title.

And I recommend going over all the docs carefully first (especially Note, DOT/Mortgage and all Riders). Make sure you're clear on each one because they are likely to vary. In my area, I've done hundreds of kept-in-trust signings and the answers are all over the place. Also, not infrequently, the people giving out answers don't really know, they just want to get you off the phone (especially if it's a signing service). So if you can get it in writing, that MIGHT help. (Written communication on this issue is sometimes just as blurry.) Even better is to make sure you get to someone who knows. I find myself asking "Are you sure?" fairly often when it comes to these... A few well placed questions and they finally decide to call title - or better yet, have me call them.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 11/7/13 10:50am
Msg #491757

This question has always interested me.

Just speculating , but it seems that , for the most part, if the lender is planning to keep
the loan (eg Big Bank)) then they only require the name signed. If they are going to sell, then
they may require the word "trustee " < individually and as trustee" ," Settlor" etc to also be signed .
Some even require signing as "John Jones, individually and as trustee of the john jones revocable trust dated june 5 . 2002"
I think that the reason (other than lawyers looking at things differently) is if the lender is going to keep the loan, then they are good with their method. If planning to sell, such a a broker loan, then they want to make sure it complies with the requirements of all potential buyers.
Ties into same issue of "John Thomas Jones" on dox , then must sign whole thing.
If it says John Jones on the dox, he can sign as John Jones, John T Jones or John Thomas Jones.
NOT the same as ID myth of more is less or less is more or whatever."
For signing purposes, , the extra pen stokes beyond what is required by the lender can be ignored.
Same reason why broker packages are usually longer than direct lender packages.
They want to be sure that all dox required by all potential buyer of the loan are there. That is why you find multiple forms of occupancy affidavits, signature affidavits,, insurance requirements etc.
Never use one document when three will do the job just as well.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/7/13 1:24pm
Msg #491789

I have notarized may signatures for Trustees and Co Trustees

Each signs as it appears in the documents.
Generally, it is the first and last name of Trustee/Co Trustee, with no title after their name.
I have notarized hundreds like this and never had a document sent back.
Furthermore, in California, it is against California notary Law to notarize for a person with a capacity.
Oftentimes in the document, the Trustee/Co Trustees are named, so by signing their first and last name, it is known they are the Trustee/Co Trustee.
I hope this helps you.
Stephanie

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/7/13 1:26pm
Msg #491790

many signatures n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.