Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: One problem with a PO Box...
Posted by  Marian_in_CA of CA on 6/5/12 2:03am Msg #422589
I think you may be right, Janet. But I think a lot of it is pieced together through various rules.

For example:

§ 8205. Duties
(a) It is the duty of a notary public, when requested: [...]

We also have wording in the handbook a couple of times that indicates we just can't do things that are specifically against the law.

That's basically telling us if somebody comes to us with a legal request, it's our duty to honor their request, and by taking the oath and having the commission, we agree to it. Obviously, we aren't going to be expected to honor requests outside of our own regular business practices, but beyond that, we can't just refuse to notarize somebody's signature if they otherwise have everything in order.

The only exception that is spelled out for us right now is this:

§ 8202.8. Private employers; limitation on provision of notarial services
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a private employer of a notary public who has entered into an agreement with his or her employee pursuant to Section 8202.7 may limit, during the employee’s ordinary course of employment, the providing of notarial services by the employee solely to transactions directly associated with the business purposes of the employer.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Very interesting thing happened today... (for CA -  Marian_in_CA on 6/4/12 7:37pm
 WHOOPS... not done... -  Marian_in_CA on 6/4/12 7:47pm
 IMO it's another example of how strange the laws in CA can -  MW/VA on 6/4/12 8:52pm
 Re: IMO it's another example of how strange the laws in CA can -  Marian_in_CA on 6/4/12 9:15pm
 I get that. Zoning restrictions here are about the same. -  MW/VA on 6/4/12 9:46pm
 Re: WHOOPS... not done... - Buddy Young on 6/4/12 9:08pm
 Hardly dumb. That's what zoning is all about. -  HisHughness on 6/4/12 11:06pm
 Re: OK, Hugh you made me see the light n/m - Buddy Young on 6/4/12 11:23pm
 Seems like a reasonable solution to an irrational problem. n/m - Lee/AR on 6/4/12 8:08pm
 Re: Very interesting thing happened today... (for CA -  HisHughness on 6/4/12 8:21pm
 Re: Very interesting thing happened today... (for CA -  Marian_in_CA on 6/4/12 9:17pm
 I think Marian's city policy is great! - GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/4/12 9:57pm
 One problem with a PO Box... -  Marian_in_CA on 6/4/12 11:41pm
 Re: One problem with a PO Box... -  JanetK_CA on 6/5/12 1:23am
 Re: One problem with a PO Box... -  Marian_in_CA on 6/5/12 2:03am
 Re: One problem with a PO Box... -  JanetK_CA on 6/5/12 3:27am
 Re: One problem with a PO Box... -  Marian_in_CA on 6/5/12 10:54am
 Interesting point, JanetK - GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/5/12 1:50pm
 Re: Interesting point, JanetK -  JanetK_CA on 6/5/12 2:52pm
 Geez, Marian - GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/5/12 1:02pm
 Whoa!!! -  Marian_in_CA on 6/5/12 3:32pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.