Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

I am embarrassed to say that I only carry $1,000 E&O
Posted by FlaNotary2 of FL on 6/17/11 9:58am Msg #386586
because that is what came with my bond. When I renew in the next year I will be getting a $5,000 policy. Anything more than that, based on the type of notarizations I routinely perform, will be useless. Heck, even the $1,000 E&O may be useless. I have never notarized for a million dollar transaction, and I rarely encounter loan docs. Where I might have liability is wills, because I notarize a lot of them. But I am always careful; I prepare the wills in my office (as a paralegal, not a notary), and the certificates are already filled in and statutory compliant when they are printed.

I do believe that every notary (signing agent or not) should carry at least $5,000. Yes, I know that sounds hypocritical, and it probably sounds arrogant to say that I don't often make mistakes, but with my finances being what they are, and considering that business is so slow that I've performed maybe 10 notarizations in the past month, if that, I can't warrant spending the extra money at this moment. When I renew, however, I will be purchasing the $5,000 policy.

I have found that clueless notaries (the ones who make the most glaring and obvious mistakes on a regular basis), don't have E&O much less know what it is. But notaries who are somewhat knowledgeable (who are less likely to make mistakes), will be prudent enough to purchase E&O. The types of errors that the typical clueless notary might make would probably not be covered under E&O anyway. (Example: "This person presented a voter card with no photo as ID and I thought that was OK"... that isn't an error/ommission, it's because the notary doesn't know what they are doing. Errors cover "forgot to administer an oath" (NOT "I never administer an oath because I didn't know it was required"); "didn't sign my name correctly this time" (NOT "I always sign my name incorrectly"). It just depends, I suppose, on whether it was truly a one-time error, or consistent bad practices on the part of the notary. "Forgot to put a certificate on a document" is not an error. "Forgot to stamp it", is an error.

If that makes sense.

MHO
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 What amount of errors and omissions insurance do you have? - Benchmark on 6/16/11 3:23pm
 NP $100K, SA $250K n/m - SouthernOK on 6/16/11 3:25pm
 SA 100K - Sha/CA on 6/16/11 7:04pm
 $35K :=D Get mine right here on NotRot n/m -  Moneyman/TX on 6/16/11 8:11pm
 Chris...and companies accept the $35k?? n/m -  Linda_H/FL on 6/16/11 8:38pm
 Why not? It was the XYZ that pushed the 100K requirement. -  MW/VA on 6/16/11 9:14pm
 $10,000 does the trick in Alabama. -  Jack/AL on 6/16/11 9:54pm
 Haven't had one yet tell me it was not enough. n/m -  Moneyman/TX on 6/16/11 9:51pm
 Maybe the companies that request it don't read the -  Linda_H/FL on 6/17/11 7:32am
 Re: Maybe the companies that request it don't read the -  Moneyman/TX on 6/18/11 12:33pm
 Re: What amount of errors and omissions insurance do you have? - Lee/AR on 6/17/11 9:33am
 I am embarrassed to say that I only carry $1,000 E&O - FlaNotary2 on 6/17/11 9:58am
 It doesn't matter if you do 1 or 100 notarizations -  Linda_H/FL on 6/17/11 10:08am
 I base my coverage decision on - FlaNotary2 on 6/17/11 10:16am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.