Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

No seal/stamp in Michigan - are you sure?
Posted by Linda_in_MI of MI on 5/2/06 11:41am Msg #117167
I think you better check your source again.

The way I read Section 55.287 of PA238 (the legislation in Michigan governing notaries) is that there is information that is required to be included on any notarization completed by Michigan notaries. Now according to the SOS, if this is already printed on the docs, there is no need for a stamp, (that answer from a question for a township planning application--another story for another time) but I have yet to see ALL of this information on acknowledgments or jurats that I have encountered, hence, the need for a stamp. I even have an embosser that I have used on rare occassions.

Even if the information is printed within the docs, I still stamp. Sort of a proof that I was there, since I don't know of anyone else who has a stamp with my information on it. I even know of one notary here in Michigan that has TWO stamps: one for out-of-home-county notarizations (where you have to list the county) and one stamp for notarizations within her base county.

55.287 SIGNATURE OF NOTARY PUBLIC STATEMENT; STAMP SEAL OR ELECTRONIC PROCESS; EFFECT OF ILLEGIBLE STATEMENT
Sec. 27.
(1) A notary public shall place his or her signature on every record upon which he or she performs a notarial act. The notary public shall sign his or her name exactly as his or her name appears on his or her notary public certificate of appointment received from the secretary.
(2) On each record that a notary public performs a notarial act and immediately near the notary public's signature, as is practical, the notary public shall print, type, stamp, or otherwise imprint mechanically or electronically clearly and legibly and in a manner capable of photographic reproduction all of the following:
(a) The name of the notary public exactly as it appears on his or her notary public certificate of
appointment.
(b) The statement: “Notary public, State of Michigan, County of __________.”.
(c) The statement: “My commission expires __________.”.
(d) The statement: “Acting in the County of __________.”.
(3) A notary public may use a stamp seal or electronic process that contains, at a minimum, all of the information required by subsection (2). However, the seal or process shall not be used in a manner that renders anything illegible on the record being notarized. An embosser alone or any other method that cannot be reproduced shall not be used.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Michigan Notarization - Steven Zeikowitz on 5/2/06 9:03am
 Re: Michigan Notarization - Anonymous from 206.54.145.254 on 5/2/06 9:20am
 No seal/stamp in Michigan - are you sure? - Linda_in_MI on 5/2/06 11:41am
 NO stamp is required per Michigan law - Anonymous from 68.61.182.77 on 5/2/06 12:31pm
 The NO stamp response from Julie/mi not anonymous - Julie/MI on 5/2/06 12:33pm
 Re: NO stamp is required per Michigan law - Linda_in_MI on 5/2/06 2:13pm
 Linda, let's try again - Julie/MI on 5/2/06 8:18pm
 An apology and the planning story - Linda_in_MI on 5/2/06 10:17pm
 Re: An apology and the planning story - I really hate eggs. -  BrendaTx on 5/2/06 10:25pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.