Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Linda, let's try again
Posted by Julie/MI of MI on 5/2/06 8:18pm Msg #117320
The orginal question was does Michigan require a stamp for a notarial act to be valid. The answer is NO.

Others responded with the correct answer.

You added commentary to the subject and said "Are you sure?"

You then added additional commentary to the previous responders and told them they "better check their source again."

You did go on to say that YOUR PERSONAL INTERPERTATION OF Public Act 238. I think your caught up on the phrase you typed: already printed on the docs., there is no need for a stamp. Then you went on to say you have never seen all of your personal required notarial information preprinted on any docs, hence the need for a stamp. That is a wrong assumption on your part.

You may have mislead the original poster into thinking a stamp is sometimes required when it is never required. That could cause trouble.

The state's notarial laws had not been revised since the 1800's. Your signature is your proof that you were there--I caution you not to fall into reinventing the wheel, so to speak, at the suggestions of national notary associations or out state notaries who want to "protect" the notarization. That is not the job of the notary, and I am still dismayed, after being on these boards that experienced notaries still do not get it.

Now for the fun part, if you are a Michigan notary and you want to do closing work with national companies, they want a stamp. It's just not a battle worth fighting. Title companies really cannot tell you what to do, but to keep the peace I use the stamp. I have ALWAYS had two stamps, one for my home county and one for the acting in county prior to the new public act. It just saved writing time. Recordable instruments should not be embossed alone as the embosser is not clearly reproduced on scanning equipment.

There IS a bill in our legislation, in case you were unaware, that would get rid of the "acting in" for your home county. The old law did not have it, but the government got a bit crazy since most of them do not really know what a notary does or what a venue is and thought more was better, when it really wasn't. The whole acting in thing is redundant as the venue has the county where the act is done.

So why don't you bring out our township planning application story as this may clarify your thoughts on the law?

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Michigan Notarization - Steven Zeikowitz on 5/2/06 9:03am
 Re: Michigan Notarization - Anonymous from 206.54.145.254 on 5/2/06 9:20am
 No seal/stamp in Michigan - are you sure? - Linda_in_MI on 5/2/06 11:41am
 NO stamp is required per Michigan law - Anonymous from 68.61.182.77 on 5/2/06 12:31pm
 The NO stamp response from Julie/mi not anonymous - Julie/MI on 5/2/06 12:33pm
 Re: NO stamp is required per Michigan law - Linda_in_MI on 5/2/06 2:13pm
 Linda, let's try again - Julie/MI on 5/2/06 8:18pm
 An apology and the planning story - Linda_in_MI on 5/2/06 10:17pm
 Re: An apology and the planning story - I really hate eggs. -  BrendaTx on 5/2/06 10:25pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.