Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Avoiding OneDrive when switching Windows 7 to Windows 10
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 1/3/20 8:42am Msg #614207
As you've probably heard, Windows 7 support ends January 14, as described here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020

Do to the sensitive nature of the data notaries deal with, you may be reluctant to use Microsoft OneDrive, thus putting client personal information in the cloud.* But the Windows 10 installation process tries really hard to get you to establish a OneDrive account, or use one you already have, during setup. If you install the Home edition like most of us, the option to avoid OneDrive is hidden.

The trick to revealing the option to use a local account (which is what we've had ever since Windows XP) is to turn off the internet during the installation. If the PC has an Ethernet cord, unplug it. If it has WiFi, unplug your WiFi router from the power outlet during install. The details on what to do are given here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/442792/how-to-create-a-local-account-while-setting-up-windows-10/

If you already created a Microsoft account, it's possible to convert it to a local account. Use a search engine to look for something like "convert Windows 10 to local account".

That said, I personally do use OneDrive, just because it's so convenient to have access to my data from several devices.

* The terms and conditions from signing services often say something about not storing the documents they give us on our computer. But it's physically impossible to print a document without storing it on my computer in some form. So I always interpret these requirements to mean I shouldn't keep the documents around after I've completed the assignment.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Avoiding OneDrive when switching Windows 7 to Windows 10 -  VT_Syrup on 1/3/20 8:42am
 Very helpful info! Thanks! n/m -  JanetK_CA on 1/3/20 11:17pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.