Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

From the CA EDD Website
Posted by SanDiegoStar of CA on 3/30/20 10:57pm Msg #618208
The CA website has recently updated with a COVID 19 FAQ.

Unfortunately, it appears that the same rigid requirements will apply to self-employed individuals as well.

I am still going to speak with their office for clarity, however, I was under the impression (based on some of our elected leaders recent comments) that the stimulus bill was aimed to also help independent contractors and self-employed individuals. I figured if it was on a federal level that funding would be sent to the individual states who administer unemployment insurance for their residents.

Sadly, this does not appear to be the case as far as unemployment benefits. It makes sense and under normal circumstances is quite fair as self-employed do not pay into the UI funds. Self employed individuals in CA have an option to pay into an optional insurance program on a quarterly basis to allow for some benefits in these situations.

There is more information on the website. If you have worked for another employer in the past 18mos OR have been mis-classifed as an independent contractor by your employer, you may qualify for benefits.

Otherwise, it would appear, as per usual....we are on our own!

https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/faqs.htm#UIBenefits

It was brought to my attention that there is an SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan but I am still researching the guidelines and requirements. The website talks about an up to $10,000 loan advancement that does NOT have to be repaid.

https://www.sba.gov/page/coronavirus-covid-19-small-business-guidance-loan-resources#section-header-2

I was really hoping our elected officials would not forget about us self-employed workers!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Have any CA notaries tried to apply for Unemployment? n/m - Susan/CA on 3/30/20 3:39pm
 Re: Have any CA notaries tried to apply for Unemployment? - Luckydog on 3/30/20 5:02pm
 There are special provisionsi in the CV bill for self - ananotary on 3/30/20 5:23pm
 Re: Have any CA notaries tried to apply for Unemployment? - SanDiegoStar on 3/30/20 6:25pm
 Re: Have any CA notaries tried to apply for Unemployment? - Susan/CA on 3/30/20 7:06pm
 Re: Have any CA notaries tried to apply for Unemployment? - Terry Parsons on 3/30/20 8:43pm
 From the CA EDD Website - SanDiegoStar on 3/30/20 10:57pm
 Re: From the CA EDD Website - Susan/CA on 3/31/20 1:31am
 Re: From the CA EDD Website -  JanetK_CA on 3/31/20 4:42am
 Disaster Related Benefits - SanDiegoStar on 3/31/20 11:56am
 Provisions for self-employed and "gig" workers - Linda_H/FL on 3/31/20 1:45pm
 Tks, Linda. Guess it will be state by state. n/m -  JanetK_CA on 3/31/20 4:32pm
 Yes, Janet....from what I read from another article - Linda_H/FL on 3/31/20 4:36pm
 Re: Unemployment could prove to be a nice gig - Carolyn Bodley on 3/31/20 2:21pm
 I looked into CA Unemployment yesterday.... - notarydi/CA on 3/31/20 6:11pm
 Info today from Sen. Feinstein re: unemployment insurance -  JanetK_CA on 4/1/20 1:55am
 Re: Info today from Sen. Feinstein re: unemployment insurance - RY on 4/1/20 11:50am
 Thank you for sharing n/m - SanDiegoStar on 4/2/20 7:56pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.