Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

This is a business and you must be equipped to handle this
Posted by  Scriba/NM of NM on 7/25/20 9:01pm Msg #622390
job. This means purchasing items rather than trying to "get along" with bare minimums. You need a good computer, a good printer (two actually) not some wimpy printer that prints only one size paper. A good scanner, good programs, Adobe Acrobat, (not the free reader) MS Office Suite or similar.

Yes, they cost money. You have to invest in ANY business. One cannot try to get away doing things on the cheap, because you'll run into problems like the one you describe. Gone are the days of a kitchen table, a pen and a stamp. The investment is considerable, and I haven't covered everything.

Once you are open for business, part of the money you make goes toward toner, paper, pens, gas, auto maintenance, and so on. This is not a get rich quick business. Once you get busy, you will find equipment needs to be replaced. Don't buy cheap junk printers and scanners, or all-in-one's with slow printing and scanning, and you will be rewarded. You cannot keep every penny you earn.

Always have a backup plan to get your printing done should your printer go down (that's why I use two dual tray HP's) HP repair facilities have oodles of printer trade-ins and surplus printers from government facilities. One of my dual tray network printers was used to make 312 copies before it was surplussed by the Air Force. New it was $2,247. I bought it barely used for $450 and it's been running now for 6 years without a hiccup. A great investment ($75 a year).

You need to plan how you are going to run your business. It's the difference between $12,000 and $65,000 a year and still not working that hard. Last but not least - you can't make money accepting peanuts for your work! Let those other notaries do that - they're trying to ruin the market, but that's what it has come to.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Commercial eDocs (too many files) - NVLSlady/VA on 7/22/20 8:46pm
 40 pdf files is a recipe for disaster n/m - Lee/AR on 7/22/20 9:11pm
 Re: 40 pdf files is a recipe for disaster - NVLSlady/VA on 7/23/20 1:42am
 98% of my signings are commercial (my favorite!) - ananotary on 7/22/20 9:31pm
 Thanks for the veterans' perspectives:) - NVLSlady/VA on 7/23/20 1:21am
 Re: Thanks for the veterans - ananotary on 7/23/20 8:34am
 As for SBA signings... - NVLSlady/VA on 7/23/20 1:28am
 Re: Commercial eDocs (too many files) - Luckydog on 7/23/20 8:34am
 Re: Commercial eDocs (too many files) - NVLSlady/VA on 7/23/20 9:14am
 Correction: (oops) Meant to say signing was for Fri. n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 7/23/20 3:38pm
 "From an attorney for a nice fee, " - Linda_H/FL on 7/23/20 9:37am
 Re: "From an attorney for a nice fee, " - ananotary on 7/23/20 1:48pm
 Missed opportunity: Possibly Or... - NVLSlady/VA on 7/23/20 4:27pm
 This is a business and you must be equipped to handle this -  Scriba/NM on 7/25/20 9:01pm
 You make a good point: Invest wisely. - NVLSlady/VA on 7/27/20 10:49am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.