Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: How are all of U working feel about the second COVID-19 wave
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 10/21/20 9:11pm Msg #625621
I'm in the same boat, i.e. weighing options, and I think I might just play it by ear, day by day, whenever colder weather hits. Naturally, risks will go up as people move indoors, into enclosed spaces with less air circulation.

After reading all the posts to this point, I have several random thoughts on various comments, so forgive me for lumping them all together here...

* People may be comfortable in their own homes without a mask, but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable in their home without one - and since I have no idea whom they've been around, when or for how long, I have no qualms about asking people to wear a mask, even if outside. My mask protects them; their mask protects me. I consider it a matter of common courtesy to each other.

* Many people just don't get the concept behind wearing masks. For example, I notarized one signature this afternoon for an otherwise impressively sharp 96 yo lady. She was wearing a mask, but kept pulling it down to talk, which pretty much defeats the whole purpose. Wink [So does wearing it under the nose!] Fortunately, we were outside. I strongly suspect that something like this is partlybehind those stories about infected people who said they wore a mask and still got sick.

* I believe rates of survivorship for people who have had the coronavirus are pretty meaningless statistics. Doctors are getting better at what passes for treatment and keeping people alive, but there's increasing evidence of serious long term health complications in survivors of all ages and prior health status - even if they appear to have quickly recovered. And just because someone is still alive after a COVID-19 diagnosis, doesn't mean they didn't spend weeks in the hospital and more weeks after that in rehab - with all the associated costs. The latest theories are that COVID-19 is not a respiratory disease but a vascular disease. So it can impact all organs in the body and have devastating impact on a person's health, long after they've considered themselves recovered. We have no idea about what real long term impact will be. So I think prevention is still key, even after a vaccine is available.

* When I talk with people about wearing a mask, I indicate that it's in the interest of *their* safety because of all the different people I'm around, and that I don't know where those folks have been. And that's certainly true, if not the whole story. If necessary, I advise them that I'm in a high risk group. (I AM over 60... Wink)

* Poor light is already one of the biggest issues I'm now having with outdoor signings. I did another one recently that was mostly by cell phone flashlights. It slows things down and I feel like I need a third hand. (They brought out lamps, but those were designed for atmosphere, not reading. Wink) I've also had two backyard signings where someone had to keep jumping up to reactivate the motion sensor to turn the lights back on. I'm thinking of buying some kind of small, lightweight battery operated LED lamp or torch that can light up a whole table. Any suggestions are appreciated.

* As for weather, if things stay mild out here, I think I can live with keeping a coat on, if needed and if BOs are willing to go along, but rain will be a deal breaker. [I heard there is a La Niņa forming, though, so it might be another drought year, at least in the southern part of the west coast.] A decision on whether or not I'll do indoor appointments (where potential droplets are likely to accumulate over time if someone there is shedding virus) will depend on what's going on locally at the time - and perhaps how long the appointment is likely to last. I'm kinda dreading that point... It may mean not working for a period of time again for me.

* Flu and pneumonia are separate issues, but coronavirus prevention steps could help there, too. I think there are different types of pneumonia vaccines, but those don't need to be repeated like flu shots. Probably best to check with your doctor.

* I like Michelle's idea of having them sign a disclaimer in advance. I doubt anyone would have a problem with doing that. (I had to sign two of them just today.) It just creates one more thing for us to do and a bit more paperwork for us to keep track of, but may be worth the effort.

I think that's enough... Wink
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 How are all of U working feel about the second COVID-19 wave -  Cheryl Elliott on 10/21/20 9:19am
 From the experts ... -  Yoli/CA on 10/21/20 10:33am
 Re: How are all of U working feel about the second COVID-19 wave - Luckydog on 10/21/20 11:58am
 Same here. My feeling is that as long as I'm doing what I -  MW/VA on 10/21/20 1:32pm
 Well, up my way they opened schools, some parents - Linda_H/FL on 10/21/20 1:42pm
 Re: Well, up my way they opened schools, some parents -  JanetK_CA on 10/21/20 4:46pm
 COVID-19 second wave: Over & Beyond - NVLSlady/VA on 10/21/20 2:13pm
 Re: COVID-19 second wave: Over & Beyond - NVLSlady/VA on 10/21/20 2:24pm
 Well said Michelle...agree - Linda_H/FL on 10/21/20 2:25pm
 Re: Well said Michelle...agree - Luckydog on 10/21/20 2:32pm
 Thanks, Linda. Good you didn't have to make that 2nd call. - NVLSlady/VA on 10/21/20 2:35pm
 still pretty normal here - CST on 10/21/20 3:32pm
 Re: How are all of U working feel about the second COVID-19 wave -  JanetK_CA on 10/21/20 9:11pm
 Well, I don't have them sign.Only ensure they have & concur. n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 10/21/20 10:06pm
 Cool. That's simple enough! Thanks for clarifying. n/m -  JanetK_CA on 10/22/20 3:33pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.