Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Well said as well, Janet. Thank you.
Posted by Moneyman/TX of TX on 11/14/20 6:26pm Msg #76987
To your last point, although I try to limit my time visiting Facebook, I found myself reading someone's post that showed up on my timeline, only to take 2 or 3 minutes to Google the supposed subject to discover that either it was totally false or that there was actually a valid reason behind what "X" did that was upsetting them. While they may not like "X" at all, or agree with what they think they have done, if they can finally see that whatever "X" actually did do, or say, they may have did so not simply because they are the spawn of Satan who hates people who are not in this party or that party.

I also find that sites such as Snoops, and others which claim to be "fact-checking" sites (includes both right and left sites) are not that reliable due to the bias of the people running those sites. At least not in the last 8-10yrs or so.

I found that most of the time I have been able to locate either an actual news reports or some other pieces of information that were published about the same time of the event/issue that offer more detailed information so I can determine for myself if something is true or not. This does require a bit more time on my part, but I believe it also allows me to discuss the issues with a lot more confidence and conviction than others who may simple be partisan, relying only on a political party's talking points, or are, in fact, simply trolling with no real idea or belief in what they are claiming they are supporting.

I grew up in a family where we were encouraged to have and express different opinions, with the expectation that we could back up what we were claiming that we supported. Just for fun, at family gatherings and on holidays, some of us also took the opposite side of the argument we believed in and argued for that point of view. Over time, it became a badge of honor to be able to argue those points convincingly enough to have others actually believe we supported the opposite side than the one we actually believed in. It taught us to not only be able to back up our own claimed beliefs and positions but to also have respect for other people's opinions and views, even if we didn't agree with them ourselves.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 What's Late night TV going to do? - Luckydog on 11/7/20 8:01pm
 Re: What - shooterclay on 11/8/20 7:22pm
 Also, - shooterclay on 11/8/20 7:23pm
 Re: Figured out what DJT meant by "Sleepy Joe" - Bob_Chicago on 11/8/20 7:43pm
 Re: Figured out what DJT meant by "Sleepy Joe" - Luckydog on 11/9/20 7:54am
 Democrats DID win the house - narrow margin but - Linda_H/FL on 11/9/20 12:31pm
 Re: Democrats DID win the house - narrow margin but -  JanetK_CA on 11/9/20 3:30pm
 Correction - narrow margin but -  JanetK_CA on 11/9/20 3:46pm
 Re: Correction - narrow margin but - shooterclay on 11/9/20 11:37pm
 Re: Correction - narrow margin but -  JanetK_CA on 11/10/20 12:26am
 As of today, it is 48(R), 46(D), & 2 (I) - Moneyman/TX on 11/11/20 10:38am
 Re: As of today, it is 48(R), 46(D), & 2 (I) -  JanetK_CA on 11/11/20 4:11pm
 Well said as well, Janet. Thank you. - Moneyman/TX on 11/14/20 6:26pm
 Ooops.... Typo - s/b "info" in last sentence. -  JanetK_CA on 11/15/20 8:26pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.