Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #618113

2 replies
Michigan update
By IAC on 3/29/20 12:15pm

I don't see notaries posting from MI. so I feel complied to keep fellow notaries informed. As I posted yesterday I backdown on continuing my notary service due to the virus outbreak. My family is on the front lines in the medical field. After my daughter-in-laws shift yesterday at a major hospital in Southeast MI her exact words were "it is so extremely bad. People need to stay home. The virus is spreading because people are in the stores. What public is not taking heed is you can be infected and not know it. She said to pass the word "Stay Home." Shout out to ALL who keep America safe, our doctors, nurses, non-medical employees working at hospitals, grocery store employees and everyone out there keeping America going.

Msg #618108

2 replies
Notaries Express out of Rocklin, CA
By MrMendez on 3/29/20 10:55am

Hello al,

Has anyone done any work lately for Notaries Express out of Rocklin, CA ? If so, did they pay promptly? Please advise. Thanks.

Msg #618104

6 replies
RON in Florida
By  Mysti_FL on 3/29/20 9:49am

I've searched but cannot find anything regarding RON, and specifically in Florida. I have applied to be a RON notary, able to do enotarizations and remote notarizations. But I really don't understand the various platforms. I have signed up with DocVerify, but it is very expensive....assuming I didn't over-purchase! I am not sure what I am getting for my money. Is there anyone that here that has begun doing remote notarizations or even enotarizations and can advise the platform they are using as well as their cost?

Msg #618075

4 replies
Closings
By terrie/IN on 3/28/20 5:53pm

Everyone that is still doing closings how have you been conducting business? Car to car, garage, outside.

Msg #618073

0 replies
Colorado to Allow Remote Notarization during Covid 19
By Flowers Power Realty, LLC - Becky on 3/28/20 4:55pm

Good afternoon! The Colorado Secretary of State just announced that Remote Notarization will be available in Colorado to meet the urgent needs due to the COVID-19 crisis. The full announcement is below:

After working closely with the Governor’s office, stakeholders, and the legal community, the Colorado Secretary of State’s Office will implement a remote notarization process. Remote notarization will assist Coloradans and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We are committed to maintaining important services for Coloradans during this national health crisis,” said Secretary of State Jena Griswold. “Remote notarization will enable Coloradans and businesses continued access to notary services while observing the social distancing guidelines that keep us all safe.”

Governor Polis issued an Executive Order today, which states in part: “Pursuant to the authority vested in the Governor of the State of Colorado and, in particular, pursuant to Article IV, Section 2 of the Colorado Constitution and the relevant portions of the Colorado Disaster Emergency Act, C.R.S. § 24-33.5-701 et seq. (Act), I, Jared Polis, Governor of the State of Colorado, hereby issue this Executive Order ordering the temporary suspension of the personal appearance requirement before notarial officers to perform notarization due to the presence of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Colorado.”

Secretary Griswold will issue emergency rules on Monday, setting forth the procedures and requirements for remote notarization in Colorado during this state of emergency. These rules will address implementation of the remote notarization process while including protections against identity theft and fraud.

Msg #618047

3 replies
The $2 trillion stimulus will slam the mortgage industry --
By Clem/CA on 3/28/20 10:11am

http://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/business/mortgage-payment-coronavirus-stimulus-federal-reserve/index.html

Msg #618046

9 replies
Time to backdown
By IAC on 3/28/20 10:07am

Friday did my last signing for awhile. Due to the virus outbreak in counties I service in Michigan my family members (5) who are nurses in (3) of area hospitals advised me to stay home. They have informed me of how grave the virus is in our county. I have not seen my family for 3 wks. Talk with them every day but this Friday they gave me the scolding. Regardless how much precaution I take what they are saying is you do not know if the person is a carrier. If someone they were around brought it into the home. Also, the borrowers I met with this week were extremely apprehensive to do the signing in the house or be within the 6ft rule. I have done signing outside in the damp cold numerous times, put it thru doors with facemask and gloves. But its time for me to step back and stay home. For all fellow notaries, take the advise of people on the front lines, its time to stay home its the only way this virus will stop spreading!

Msg #618041

1 replies
CA Notaries' Benefits during Pandemic
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/28/20 8:19am

Contact your local Department of Public Health to determine your benefits' eligbility.

Contact all your utilities' offices to see if you might be able to lower your monthly bills.

Contact your local Food Bank if things get really lean.

Shop at farmers markets, if you don't have your own garden, for the freshest, best food products.

Hang on, Snoopy! And PRAY this debacle ends soon.

Msg #618037

20 replies
The unlikely possiblity that we qualify for unemployment
By  Mary_in_VA on 3/28/20 1:29am

(Someone PMed me asking for clarification on something I posted in another thread. I thought the bulk of my answer to her would interest others, so here it is.)

This is the link to the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security's GUIDANCE ON THE ESSENTIAL CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE WORKFORCE issued March 19.

https://www.cisa.gov/publication/guidance-essential-critical-infrastructure-workforce

A few choice quotes:

"If you work in a critical infrastructure industry, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security, ...you have a special responsibility to maintain your normal work schedule.”

If you scroll down the list of such industries and open Financial Services, you'll find (my emphasis in capital letters):

"WORKERS WHO ARE NEEDED TO PROCESS AND MAINTAIN SYSTEMS FOR PROCESSING FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS AND SERVICES (e.g., payment, clearing, and SETTLEMENT; wholesale funding; insurance services; and capital markets activities)
WORKERS WHO ARE NEEDED TO PROVIDE CONSUMER ACCESS TO banking and LENDING services, including ATMs, and to move currency and payments (e.g., armored cash carriers)"

Could all grocery store workers quit because it's dangerous and then claim unemployment? The bank's are still operating: aren't bank tellers at risk?

The work is there if we want it. If we choose not to do it, despite the fact that the law appears to say we can and that we are, in fact, "essential", that's on us. We haven't been sent home under a stay at home order and would not be if we worked in an attorney's office or title/settlement company doing the same thing. Other workers - utility workers, banks tellers, etc. - are "essential" and so, apparently, are we.

NOW, all that being said, it is possible, although I think unlikely, that your state may allow you to collect unemployment if you simply stop working. Each state manages it's own unemployment system and rules. However, you will note in previous forum discussions that this has been widely discussed by the CA notaries and the reigning consensus is that we are "essential" under federal law and, therefore, don't have the right to just stop working and claim unemployment.

I am not a lawyer, so this is only my personal read on this matter. (I was a paralegal for 20 years.) If you really want a read of your state's unemployment law under it's new guidelines and the federal guidelines, I would consult an employment attorney in your state.

On a more personal note...
I have been wearing a mask and gloves for over a week even 'though there is currently no indication of "community spread" in my area. I did my last "in person" signing today: all others will be outside the home, on a porch or in an open garage maybe, but more likely through the door and a window. The moment I think we have community spread, if not before, I will stop. My 80 year old mother lives with me. And, yes, that will probably mean that, for me, this will probably be even more of a disaster than for most of the American workforce. (And I never recovered from the last one. I am almost 58 years old and will work until the day I drop dead.)

All of us need to be careful, think for ourselves, and take care of our loved ones. I pray we all stay in good health.

Msg #618036

0 replies
What is FUTA?
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/27/20 10:49pm

Employers pay into this, not employees.

The Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA), with state unemployment systems, provides for payments of unemployment compensation to workers who have lost their jobs. Most employers pay both a Federal and a state unemployment tax. A list of state unemployment tax agencies, including addresses and phone numbers, is available in Publication 926, Household Employer's Tax Guide. Only the employer pays FUTA tax; it is not deducted from the employee's wages. For more information, refer to the Instructions for Form 940.

Msg #618035

17 replies
Today I signed a physican and two nurses
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/27/20 10:46pm

We all donned face masks and wore gloves. I sat on the patio with the dr. while he gave me some pointers on "staying safe" and to be sure to wear a mask when I go shopping. Elderberry syrup is an immune builder and calms the throat, Coronavirus can't stick to the syrup that lingers in your throat.

Two nurses brought an ample supply of masks and nutile gloves from the Atascadero State Mental Hospital where I will be visiting next week. They were great and gave me kudos for braving the encounters I am taking in stride.

I went to Costco today to pick up my Qvar inhaler for asthma, and if you're only going to the pharmacy you don't have to wait in that long line that winds around the building to the gas pumps.

I had a great day, four signings, and I'm pooped. Taking a little break for a few days.

Msg #618020

2 replies
Best thing ever
By Luckydog on 3/27/20 7:36pm

A title company built a very simple system to protect us and them. They cut some wood 4x4's painted them black, cut a slit the width of a piece of plexi glass and inserted a large sheet of plexi glass in the slit. Worked great, slid the docs back and forth underneath, no contact or breathing on each other and very inexpensive. Round tables held 1, rectangular tables 2-3 depending. Great idea and anyone with a saw can make this for about $10.00 and take with them.

Msg #618009

0 replies
E-Notary Logistics NIGHTMARE!
By TacomaBoy on 3/27/20 4:52pm

So, what about the logistics of getting 150 pages of dox into the customer's hands, properley printed by a laser printer with legal size paper when needed. Of course people like to sign their names in a way that's probably not acceptable, in the wrong places, etc, etc, etc.. Oh yeah, it's gonna be a Logistics nightmare!

Msg #618005

5 replies
Perspective
By Lee/AR on 3/27/20 4:04pm

Had a Seller package in a location farther than I want to travel. Not a lot of traffic, but sure a lot of trucks.
Passed a few fast food places that had signs up saying 'Curbside service for Truckers' and one place had a sign saying "Yes, you can use our restrooms." Notaries...these are the real heros now. Truckers and the usually minimum wage or nearly so employees of fast food places, gas stations...and, yes, the grocery & dollar stores that are serving the country and standing right next to the doctors, nurses, and medical personnel on the front lines. Say thank you to all of them, too.

Msg #617998

7 replies
Remote Online Notarization
By NJ_Notary on 3/27/20 2:30pm

NJ passed to allow for RON. What vendors should I look into to be able to do these?

Msg #617990

9 replies
invoicing
By Peter Butzer on 3/27/20 11:43am

how do i get information on companies that owe me money?

Msg #617986

13 replies
Notarize to add 1,000 online notaries to address demand
By mobitary on 3/27/20 10:53am

And guess who is partnering with them..

http://techcrunch.com/2020/03/27/notarize-to-add-1000-online-notaries-to-address-demand-for-remote-transactions/

Msg #617984

3 replies
Garage and Outdoor Closings Are The Only Viable Option . . .
By PegiT_MN on 3/27/20 10:24am

. . . at this time. I have stopped doing in home closings two and half weeks ago and everyone is loving the idea of still being able to do their closings without having someone come into their home.

Please continue to stay safe my dear notary friends.

Msg #617981

2 replies
In the face of the pandemic, I'm getting a lot of calls
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/27/20 9:08am

from people wanting to update their wills and trusts. People are taking stock of their health and financial planning and family issues.

Msg #617979

0 replies
Be ready for "opportunity" knocks, you never know.
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/27/20 8:34am

I received a call late yesterday afternoon for a signing 25 miles away, was I available, yes.

We have your fee at $90, I quickly responded with, my fee is $150 during this compromising season.

Bingo, approved. It was two pages and two notaries required on a couple of docs that went missing, apparently. In and out and back home. It rounded up my day to a perfect target income.

Be on your toes for the times when opportunity knocks. The loan had funded, but still the package needed to be complete to fully close and be scanned.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2020, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.