Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #648088

2 replies
Mobile Closing Now
By Lucie_CA on 3/27/24 4:29pm

Has anyone worked with Mobile Closing Now, a Florida signing service?
Any problems getting paid?

Msg #648084

0 replies
Please give link to RULONA administrative rules
By VT_Syrup on 3/27/24 7:58am

I have discovered that Vermont SOS has finally drafted administrative rules that give the details for things such as how to do electronic signatures and RON, although they haven't been released for public comment.

I would appreciate it if forum members in states that have passed RULONA would post links to their states' administrative rules so I can gather up some good ideas to improve the Vermont rules. (I suspect the proposed rules will need a lot of work.)

Msg #648081

9 replies
To CA notaries, ? re: timing for BGC for commission renewal
By JanetK_CA on 3/26/24 10:20pm

I had my live scan done earlier this month (on 3/13) for the required DOJ/FBI BGC for my commission renewal, and was given the website where I can check status. I finally got around to taking a look and all it says, for both of them, is "completed, 3/13/2024". Is that telling me that it's in process?

I don't remember anything like this in the past. Don't we get some kind of notification once we've passed, or am I confusing this with the annual BGC we need to take via the NNA? (Those usually only take a couple of days.) I still have plenty of time, so I'm not concerned, but I want to stay on top of it. TIA

Msg #648075

5 replies
Feedback on Choice Nationwide Notaries (Beavercreek OH)?
By  Linda_TN on 3/25/24 12:49pm

Checked SC, and the posts/listings end about 2020--and they are for the same name but for a location in CA and those don't look good. I'm trying to do my due diligence, and right now gut is telling me to run. Anyone with more current information?

Msg #648073

3 replies
More fraud, elder financial abuse of 9-yo lady in Orlando FL
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/24/24 8:02pm

Commissioner helped herself to this elderly lady's savings in excess of $100K. I wouldn't want to be the notary who notarized her POA and loan documents.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/this-orlando-city-commissioner-is-being-investigated-for-allegedly-helping-herself-to-more-than-100-000-of-a-96-year-old-constituent-s-savings-through-power-of-attorney-fraud/ar-BB1kr7SW

Msg #648068

4 replies
Expansion of Vermont emergency RON and enotary rules
By VT_Syrup on 3/23/24 10:16am

I saw a web page from the NNA about Vermont's latest changes to its "Emergency Rules for Remote and Electronic Notarial Acts".

https://www.nationalnotary.org/knowledge-center/news/law-updates/vt-emergency-rules-march-2024

Part of NNA's analysis is "the Vermont Secretary of State extends the emergency rules for remote notarizations for another 180 days but adds provisions allowing Vermont Notaries to perform remote notarizations on electronic records instead of just paper records. In addition, the emergency rules now authorize Notaries to perform in-person electronic notarial acts."

I also read the rules straight from the state website (first link on the page):

https://sos.vermont.gov/notaries-public/statutes-rules-resources/

I found the rules to be so convoluted that I'm not able to figure out what I'm allowed to do. I also saw some things in the law I didn't like, such as:

"A notary public authorized to perform electronic notarial acts shall use the same electronic signature and electronic official stamp, if using, for all electronic notarial acts."

Um, what does "same" mean? What does "all" mean; one meeting with a client, one commission term, my entire notary career?

I suggest Vermont notaries go over this with a fine tooth comb, because the permanent rules might end up looking a lot like these unsatisfactory emergency rules.

Msg #648063

2 replies
Things that make you go hmmm
By Lee/AR on 3/22/24 2:25pm

A lender pays about $65/verification of borrower's employment/income. Double that if 2 borrowers. They usually do 2 of these per loan. 1 at application & the 2nd just before closing. So $260 is spent/loan and it's ALL done in minutes electronically. Notaries are in the wrong business.

Msg #648055

7 replies
Navigating the NAR settlement via Cooperative Compensation
By Bear900/CA on 3/21/24 5:29pm

Cooperative Compensation are the key words here. Open negotiations and transparency are already yesterday's news.

If you're new to this discussion, NAR (National Association of Realtors) was sued for nearly half a billion dollars for stifling real estate negotiations in buying homes. Some big-time real estate brokers like Berkshire Hathaway were similarly sued.

I already contended that this is going to hurt buyers/sellers more than realtors. Currently, a lot of buyer agents are already requiring a fee just to get started showing property.

Jason Mitchell from the nation's largest real estate brokerage brought out at least three main points I have already been pondering. If you decide to listen, look for these three points.

1. Buyer agents won't bring qualified buyers to a seller without a seller's cooperative compensation agreement. The buyer will most likely have to agree to pay the buyer's agent fee or require the seller to offer a cooperative compensation. Imagine a buyer agent requesting much more than 3% to bring a qualified offer to the table. Watch the greed....

If the seller says no, the buyer's agent already has a signed agreement to only show homes offering cooperative compensation.

2. First time home buyers who need to sign a buyer's fee agreement will all but be shut out, or shell out 2-1/2 to 3% themselves. That's almost the amount of an FHA downpayment.

3. Buyer's agents will be looking at lenders to help finance this fee. Keep in mind a buyer's agent fee will typically be more than a loan origination fee. It's interesting to see and hear Jason's panic in this regard. PANIC!

As a mortgage broker I disagree with The Mortgage Coach's comments that, yeah, we'll come to the rescue and bail out the buyer by financing the buyer's agent fee. I don't think so! Closing costs on new home purchases are usually taken right to the wire.

It will also be interesting to see what the government will step in with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KMJDQ9gPWE

Msg #648054

0 replies
Just a quesstion not related to Notary
By Beryl Butler on 3/21/24 5:24pm

I get so many junk mail every day. Block so many of them, but now seeing ones that say --no sender address by Fidelity Life and Car Shield. Anyone else get these??

Msg #648040

4 replies
Does she not understand what the 1st Amend is for?
By Moneyman/TX on 3/20/24 5:17pm

"My biggest concern," said Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson on Monday, "is that your view has the First Amendment hamstringing the government in significant ways."

http://reason.com/2024/03/19/hamstringing-the-government-a-viral-narrative-distorts-ketanji-brown-jacksons-understanding-of-free-speech/

She is a Supreme Court Justice and she doesn't even seem to understand what the 1st Amendment IS for; to hamstring the government!

Msg #648039

2 replies
Talk about covering all your political bases ...
By Moneyman/TX on 3/20/24 5:11pm

"Biden Decries Criminalization of Cannabis Consumers Even As He Insists They Have No Second Amendment Rights"

http://reason.com/2024/03/20/biden-decries-criminalization-of-cannabis-consumers-even-as-he-insists-they-have-no-second-amendment-rights/

Msg #648034

3 replies
ServiceLink
By  Yoli/CA on 3/20/24 8:05am

Got a call from ServiceLink yesterday at 8:13am for a HELOC in Paradise, CA today at 11:00am. Signing location is 79.7 miles door-to-door, approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours' drive from me. I give her my $325 quote.* Oh! She'll make a note of it.

At 1:53pm, they call again with same assignment. I tell this scheduler someone else called about it in the morning and they were making a note of my fee. She informs me it's a small 30-page package. Okay, the least I can do it for is $300. She has to get approval. Fine. Let me know.

2:04pm -- She calls back with approval. Am I still available. Yes ma'am. Send it over and thank you!

Going to Paradise today! Smile

*My fee schedule shows $350 for that zip for a regular package. This is a HELOC -- typically smaller package.
(If I were going to mountainous, snowy territory such as South Lake Tahoe or Truckee, this same assignment would be $475 [due to driving conditions]. I mention all this fee "stuff" for the sake of the newbies and hope they learn to charge fees after taking everything into consideration. Most of the seasoned NSAs here are already well versed on the matter.)

Msg #648028

4 replies
Scary...6 figure income person & CA tax time
By Lee/AR on 3/19/24 6:54pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/california-woman-shocked-at-huge-tax-bill-how-am-i-going-to-survive/ar-BB1kbjHY?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4926e2f6904745958e4bacc987005d3a&ei=15

No, not a notary...just a person who thought they were doing good...until the other shoe dropped. Just a good scary story to give some thought to BEFORE a mess is made.

Msg #648021

4 replies
What a insult
By IAC on 3/19/24 9:27am

Why would anyone do work for Mortgage Connect or Inspire when they are robbing notaries. Exmple they have been offering $70 for refi w/180 plus pgs w/ scan backs! Just look at the fee thry charge title obviousily they r making certain they are getting what they ask. Notaries wake up stop giving in to these SS. Look at your expense let alone risk of your security. They dont care about your well being just sbout themself. The only way change will come is when notaries unite and stop working for low fee SS companies. I have been anproud notary for 38years and I refuse to bow to these criminals.

Msg #648014

4 replies
where may i find a power of attorney form I can make for fre
By Jayhawk/KS on 3/18/24 9:06pm

Where may I find a power of attorney form I can make for free?

Msg #648008

4 replies
Does anyone know of any Paper Deals? n/m
By FeliseSoCal on 3/18/24 2:43pm

Msg #648004

5 replies
Is FASS (1st American Signature Services) still in business?
By Lee/AR on 3/17/24 8:03am

First Am TC just confuses me no end. Get orders from various offices/states every which way...direct from some small out-of-area local TC, thru the 2 big platforms--but haven't had 1 thru FASS in over a year. Is JOT their 'go-to' now? Am in JOT dbase, but have never even received an offer. If JOT is 'it', how are fees? Decent or not?

Msg #647996

13 replies
RE Commissions soon will be cut in half per NAR
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/16/24 12:07pm

National Association of Realtors is reducing RE sales commissions by 50% soon. I also heard about some legislation coming up to cut title company insurance policy fees substantially. These measures are targeted at making homebuying possible for so many who seek to own their own homes.

Stay tuned!

Msg #647994

8 replies
On perceived value and knowing your worth...
By JanetK_CA on 3/16/24 2:56am

This is one of the best things I've read about how to value one's self and one's work. (Which I stole from someone on Facebook...) Wink This story isn't a perfect correlation to what we do, but the differences aren't what's important here. Just thought I'd share...

*****************************************************************************************
A customer asked a contractor friend of mine how much it would cost to do this project. [Picture of a backyard deck]
My friend gave him a proposal: $4500
The customer responded: That’s seems really high.
My friend asked: What do you think is a reasonable price for this job?
The customer answered: $2500 maximum
My friend responded: OK, then I invite you to do it yourself.
The customer answered: I don't know how to.
My friend responded: Alright, then how about for $2500 I'll teach you how to. So besides saving you $2000, you'll learn valuable skills that will benefit you in the future.
The customer answered: Sounds good! Let’s do it!
My friend responded: Great! To get started, you are going to need some tools. You will need a chop saw, table saw, cordless drill, bit set, router, skill saw, jig saw, tool belt, hammer, etc..
The customer answered: But I don't have any of those tools and I can't justify buying all of these for one job.
My friend responded: OK. Well then, for an additional $300 I can rent my tools to you to use for this project.
The customer answered: Okay. That’s fair.
My friend responded: Great! We will start the project on Monday.
The customer answered: I work Monday through Friday. I’m only available on the weekends.
My friend responded: If you want to learn from me then you will need to work when I work. This project will take 3 days so you will need to take 3 days off work.
The customer answered: That means I’m going to have to sacrifice my pay for 3 days or use my vacation time!
My friend responded: That’s true. Remember, when you do a job yourself you need to account for unproductive factors.
The customer answered: What do you mean by that?
My friend responded: Doing a job completely from start to finish includes time spent to plan the project, pick up materials, travel time, gas, set up time, clean up, and waste disposal amongst other things. That’s all in addition to the actual project itself. And speaking of materials, that’s where we will start on Monday so I need you to meet me at the lumberyard at 6:00am.
The customer answered: At 6am?!! My work day doesn’t usually start until 8am!
My friend responded: Well then you’re in luck! My plan is to start on the deck build by 8am. But to do so we have to start at 6am to get materials picked up, loaded and delivered to your job site.
The customer answered: You know, I’m realizing that a lot more goes in to a job than what a customer sees in the finished project. Your proposal of $4500 is very reasonable. I would like you to handle the project.
CONCLUSION:
When you pay for a job, especially a custom job, (whether it’s a physical project or digital project) you pay not only for the material and the work to be completed. You also pay for:
✔️ Knowledge
✔️ Experience
✔️ Custom Skills
✔️ Tools
✔️ Time to plan
✔️ Time to prepare
✔️ Professionalism
✔️ Work Ethic
✔️ Excellence
✔️ Discipline
✔️ Commitment
✔️ Integrity
✔️ Taxes
✔️ Licenses
✔️ Sacrifices
✔️ Liabilities
✔️ Insurance
If you request a proposal for custom work to be done, please don’t disrespect a service provider by trying to get them to lower their prices.
If their proposal exceeds your budget, there’s nothing wrong with getting other proposals.
Just remember.. you get what you pay for.
👉🏼 SERVICE PROVIDERS: Know your worth and be confident in it.
👉🏼 CONSUMERS: Recognize their worth and be respectful of it.
Sharing this to support all my friends, family and clients who are Entrepreneurs, Business Owners and Tradesman.

Msg #647990

3 replies
Arizona Notary question.
By Susan/CA on 3/15/24 4:55pm

I have tried reaching out to a couple of Notaries in AZ and only received a response from one. The information was very I received waws quite vague. Does anyone know if AZ has RON in full affect and if so has it taken over the loan signing business? I may move to AZ early next year and need to get an idea of what the market looks like. I know here in So. CA business has been agonizingly slow. I have been blessed to have been receiving a lot of HELOCs (fair paid) and I am not feeling like moving to AZ (Kingman) is going to be a good business move. I have been doing loan signings for over 23 years and I have a pretty good clientele here. I don't have to move but may move for love. LOL ;-) Does anyone have any insight into what's going on in AZ? TIA!!!

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.