Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #648241

6 replies
Background checks
By anotaryinva on 4/16/24 3:33pm

It’s that time again for me to do a background check, the cost really ticks me off. I completely understand the reasoning for it but really wish they would offer a renewal rate much like a reissue rate for title insurance.

I would also like to know if anyone here knows the actual regulation, if there is one, requiring this.
I went on snap docs who I’ve done one or two signings for and they say a bg check is good for three years on their end so what’s with the others requiring yearly.

One last thing as I’m biting my tongue having to pay for this, do you think every employee of every tc is background checked..I mean they all have access to the customers data!

Enough rant, it’s a beautiful 70’s sunny day in VA and cocktail time.

Msg #648239

6 replies
Beware!!
By Mike Goodey on 4/15/24 10:31pm

A very good friend of mine who owns her own escrow company was involved in 2 fraud cases recently. One was a couple who defrauded a title company of $800,000 and a single man who attempted $750,000 in a fraud case. In both cases Title requested funds be released and the couple got the money before the mistake was found. The notary had taken a pic of the female and someone sent the pic to title and she was identified as someone else but it was too late, they were gone.
In the second case, Title wanted the funds released but my friend had a feeling something wasn't right and after stalling a bit, told the client that he had to deposit the check in the bank. He was requesting it be wired to him but escrow refused and told him it had to be deposited. It was then that they found that he was identified as someone else.

Msg #648237

1 replies
70 pages for a VA purchase loan with full professional fee!
By  Yoli/CA on 4/15/24 6:10pm

Absolutely! Any time, any day.

Had numerous offers this morning for anywhere from $65 to $95. Sorry, not in my business plan. It's a good thing I didn't accept those low offers and was available to accept this purchase package at my full fee.

Yes, you read that correctly. 70 pages for a VA purchase loan package. Smile

Msg #648217

16 replies
Insurance inspections
By  Cheryl Elliott on 4/12/24 11:21am

Currently I perform inspections for about six vendors across the US. Recently I was contacted by a company who wants inspections performed using a point and shoot camera with a selfish stick and a measuring wheel. Does anyone out there performing these? If so, I am wondering about the best model of point and shoot camera to purchase.

The company wants general liability insurance. After all the extra equipment, I am wondering if this piece of business is lucrative. Not sure if there is any measurable volume in my area.

Msg #648208

9 replies
California RON?
By CH2inCA on 4/10/24 5:26pm

https://www.amrock.com/posts/remote-online-notarization-california-amrocks

Thoughts?

Msg #648194

3 replies
legal size paper Staples
By anotaryinva on 4/7/24 4:33pm

Just went to order legal size paper, I’m not out yet, but this week I had two purchases where they sent the whole package legal! So I’m on the Staples website, not advantage and Hammermill is $93.99 delivered. I clicked on auto ship and it’s $56.39 or $59.77 with my tax. I thought well I don’t won’t auto ship weekly but guess what you can get autoship YEARLY. I am going to wait for a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase but dang! I hope I will use at least a case yearly but apparently you can adjust after ordering. Oh and with their recycle rewards I’m getting $5 off for taking a broken shedder to them.

Msg #648180

0 replies
Video meeting with VT notary officials
By VT_Syrup on 4/5/24 4:09pm

I posted in Msg #648068 about VT emergency rules; the Vermont notary advisers were scheduled to have a video meeting today so I signed into it. The notary advisers didn't make the meeting, but SOS general counsel Lauren Layman and Notary Public Licensing Administrator Kasey Mayer were there. I was the only member of the public present, so they just let me ask questions.

I expressed my confusion about the exact meaning of the rule

"A notary public authorized to perform electronic notarial acts shall use the same electronic signature and electronic official stamp, if using, for all electronic notarial acts."

Ms Layman said this came from National Association of Secretaries of State recommendations. We agreed that it needed to be tightened up as far as what period of time it needs to be kept the same, and whether being the same just means it looks the same as the paper version, or every single electronic bit must be the same.

I also asked about what notarial acts require the notary to establish the identity of the signer. She agree that the notary only needs to ID the signer when Vermont law § 5363 "Requirements for certain notarial acts" says so. That is, acknowledgements, verifications on oath or affirmation, and signature witnessing.

The notarial acts that don't require the notary to ID the person they are dealing with are copy certification, protests*, and oaths/affirmations that are not verification. Examples of non-verification oaths/affirmations would be oaths before oral testimony and oaths of office.

It looks like public hearings on proposed permanent rules should occur in two months or so.

Msg #648172

10 replies
notary self employment tax
By Gavina Franklin on 4/5/24 11:14am

Did something changed regarding our notary income from self-employment tax? My cpa stated that " The percentage of gross income that is exempt notary income is calculated and then that percentage is applied to the net income to determine the amount that is excludable." so in my case I have to report less exemption.

Msg #648154

0 replies
Anyone attending DocuSign Momentum Online on April 18? n/m
By Colonel/IA on 4/4/24 9:35am

Msg #648144

1 replies
Gibbs & Mason LPG
By  David Everett on 4/3/24 5:23pm

Has anyone done a signing for this company? I did a signing for this Vendor, and have not gotten paid. Beware.

Msg #648141

5 replies
memory lane
By anotaryinva on 4/3/24 4:21pm

I don’t even remember what I was searching for but came up with this thread!
Message #43148. Probably didn’t link but it was back in 05 discussion about if the DOT had to have every page initialed. So many comments from those no longer with us. PAW🙁

Msg #648140

27 replies
My first small claims action against a nonpaying deadbeat
By  Cheryl Elliott on 4/3/24 4:03pm

I performed a notary assignment for a realtor/broker in Santa Monica whose client resides in my county. I printed the documents which were emailed to me, traveled to the client at the appointed time, had the client sign, and I notarized the documents. We agreed I would return the documents to the hiring party the next day via FEDEX with my fee including shipping. The document was a simple POA.

So this guy now doesn't want to pay me. I have been strung along since February 22, 2024. He said, twice, the check was in the mail. Initially he agreed to pay me via online payment, twice. Never happened.

The reason he doesn't want to pay me is that his client represented that he had some fees due him, and as he agent, he would get 30% of fees recovered. Turns out the guy had already received funds from Kern County on the same property.

It is not my problem that they are both thieves, now is it!

Since he is licensed by the CA RE Department, I will be filing a THEFT OF SERVICES notice to that licensing agency. Mr. Golshani is no longer returning my calls, hence, he is fair game for me to warn other notaries that he is not a reputable business man.

This is my first rodeo.

DO NOT ACCEPT WORK FROM THIS INDIVIDUAL. HE WILL NOT PAY YOU.

Mike Golshani, 2153 Montana Avenue "A", Santa Monica, CA 90403. He calls his business PROVIDENT ASSET RECOVERY, however there is no such company with a FICTITIOUS BUSINESS NAME FILING in Los Angeles county or the Business Unit of the State of California SOS.

As I have said many times, EXPERIENCE IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU DON'T GET PAID.

Msg #648124

11 replies
What would you charge for a refi- 175 pages and scanbacks
By  Leslie_Mo on 4/3/24 10:14am

I was offered $115 and countered at $150. I guess I'll see if someone took it for the $115

Msg #648120

10 replies
Title 365
By JMoniqueC on 4/3/24 9:31am

Anybody else receiving a laundry list of post close correction requests that aren't a problem anymore once the documents are received?

Msg #648116

2 replies
Quality Signing Service, 520-906-0095
By  Doris_CO on 4/2/24 6:22pm

I received a text from a Jourdan of Quality Signing Service. The phone number is an AZ number. The Quality Signing Service listed in Signing Central was based in FL, and is marked as Out of Business. Has anyone had contact or worked with this company or know anything about them?

Msg #648112

11 replies
Trinity Document Solutions OOB as of 2/19/24
By Linda_H/FL on 4/2/24 1:08pm

Per website - if anyone has outstanding invoices with them...see link

http://www.tridocsolutions.com/index.html

Msg #648108

4 replies
Great assessment of how to view current RE market conditions
By JanetK_CA on 4/1/24 7:19pm

This article is mostly directed to potential home buyers, but I believe it's also of interest to us regarding how to view the current real estate market. It would be great if lots of potential home buyers/sellers see this and take this advice to heart! One can hope... Wink

http://www.businessinsider.com/housing-market-mistake-buyers-sellers-mortgage-rates-time-to-buy-2024-3

Msg #648104

4 replies
SLB Signing Services, Deland, FL -- what's your experience?
By  Yoli/CA on 3/30/24 1:18pm

SLB has a 4-1/2 star rating in SC. They're easy to work with insofar as no hand-holding. Their fees are so-so.

On 2/29/2008, Sherry (the owner) posted this Msg #237644.

On 6/3/2008, Sherry posted Msg #249815.

Notice both posts mention paying the notary 10-14 days post closing?

Given their SC rating, I've worked with them a few times.

1. Signed 10/31/22, paid 12/5/22;
2. Signed 11/2/23, paid 12/9/23; and,
3. Signed 2/28/24, payment due 3/29/24 not yet received.

Because of delayed payment the first couple of times, I had my invoicing system send them a reminder a week prior to due date. No response. Just today (3/30/24), sent them a reminder that they are overdue. For everyone else who has worked with SLB: Does your experience mirror mine?

Msg #648099

2 replies
Former Notary
By Doris Wolf on 3/29/24 8:59pm

I’m in Michigan and had a notary commission way back around 2007-2009 and I unfortunatey did not renew it. Am I able to now after all this time? Or do I need to start fresh. No biggie if I do, just curious if that’s an option. Thank you in advance for any and all insight!

Msg #648088

2 replies
Mobile Closing Now
By Lucie_CA on 3/27/24 4:29pm

Has anyone worked with Mobile Closing Now, a Florida signing service?
Any problems getting paid?

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.