Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #622752

7 replies
Need FL Notary in NY
By Laura Hawkins on 8/4/20 9:22am

Hi, I am looking for information on how to get a FL notary in NY. Due to the coronavirus, I have a need to get something signed with a FL notary, but the signer is in NY indefinitely. Apparently there's a way to get an online notary, but there is no way of knowing that it's a FL notary specifically. Does anyone have any hints on how to do this? Thanks for the help!

Msg #622740

13 replies
New Notary Seeking Information.
By Jazmyn Sampson on 8/4/20 12:36am

Beware Long Message,

So I was advised to try notary work through my Aunt and Grandmother they told me it would be very good money for my age (21) and that it didn't require much heavy lifting.
I finished my classes, passed my exam, and just applied with my state for my commission. I have yet to officially start until my background check comes back and my application is processed. I've seen a lot of information on youtube that makes notary signings especially loan signings seem like a piece of cake and that it will be easy to makeover $50k/year and i just want to hear what this career is really like from you all. I read a few forums from here and Reddit and now I'm very scared that I won't succeed or make as much money as I'd hoped.

I was hoping I'd be able to do this full-time as I lost my job due to Covid-19.
But I'm seeing a lot of information about companies not wanting to pay notaries what they deserve if at all.
I was very excited to start my new career and I still am. But I'm just confused. Also, how do you pay your taxes with this if they dont auto take it out.

Msg #622735

1 replies
Orange County, CA notary County bond & oath info
By LJCA on 8/3/20 10:22pm

Effective July 20, 2020, the following services must be requested via mail. No over-the-counter service will be available until further notice:

Notary Registrations
Fictitious Business Name Statements
Official Records Copies
EIR filings

For more info here is the link to Orange County Clerk -Recorders office.
http://www.ocrecorder.com/
(714) 834-2500

The OC recorders office was re-open in June. The recorders office has closed down again July 20th. If you need to file your bond & oath you might want to give them a call on how to handle your filing. Good Luck

Msg #622726

4 replies
ExpressNotary.com
By TD_CA on 8/3/20 6:04pm

HOW DO I GET OFF THEIR SITE? I've tried emailing and calling them. They keep texting me tons of "Low Ball"
signings....Suggestions?

Msg #622721

11 replies
Northstar Notary
By PegiT_MN on 8/3/20 2:48pm

Super nice guy called me for a closing today . . . couple miles from my house . . . met my fee . . . docs were ready . . . all sounded great. Came home and checked Signing Central and all no pays for the past year. I called him up and told him that I would be unable to accept the closing due to all the non payment reviews on Notary Rotary (he didn't sound surprised, he didn't argue with me, he actually agreed with me). He asked if he could pay me up front and I told him no I couldn't do that . . he would just have to find someone else. He may pay me, but he is just going to stiff the next notary. Not going to contribute to that.

Msg #622701

21 replies
Would you notarize this document?
By  lmb/CA on 8/3/20 12:46pm

In my decade plus of being a Notary Public, I've never come across something like this. Ultimately, I folowed my state's laws, documented in my journal, and also documented additional notes in my laptop to jog my memory if the situation ever comes up.

Separation Agreement. Long time marriage. Mom wants to sign, dad doesn't.

Met with elderly mom. Dad was a no-show. Validated identity, logged into journal, mom signed. Started talking about the document she was signing (separation agreement). She was hard of hearing so we both (me and adult son), had to yell to her a couple times. She affirmed that she wanted to sign (said she wanted to do it for a long time). Started to find the sig page for her to sign when daughter walked in recording with her camera (I got the impression daughtetr didn't want this to happen). Asked me what the document was that was being signed, and pushed for info directly from me. I told her that she had to have that talk with her family. She kept recording, son indicated that she did not have my permission to record me, and I told him it didn’t matter to me. Since she was recording, we went through the process again to get it documented on her video. I again asked mom if she knew what she was signing, both son and I had to speak up so she could hear us. She affirmatively said yes, and wanted to move forward. I asked her to please look directly into daughters camera and state so. She didn’t know what I was talking about since daughter was behind her the whole time. Daughter walked around to face her, and I again asked that she state her wishes into daughters camera – she did. Mom was hard of hearing and had to catch up to what was happening in the moment, but based on my reasonable expectations, knew what she was signing, and wanted to sign it with no influence from outside parties.

Msg #622699

7 replies
Changing Document Date
By Hope Ainsley on 8/3/20 12:33pm

I was requested to notarize dealership documents that are being shipped to me. The dealership was supposed to overnight the documents to me, however, the documents never arrived when they were supposed to. I received word, they should be arriving today.
If the documents are dated for August 1 and today August 3rd, can I have the signed cross of the dates and initial them?
I believe I cannot have them do that but I just wanted to be sure before I get the documents and have to send them back.

Msg #622676

5 replies
Home Inspections under Notary Details
By CJ Gueldner on 8/2/20 3:22pm

On the Notary Details, what does Home Inspections mean?

Msg #622669

3 replies
RON notarizations
By Roadie_MD on 8/2/20 12:35pm

Has anyone used an online meeting platform to do remote notarizations? MD SOS has the following guidance for RONs:

The list of vendors found below provide communication technology specifically designed to perform remote notarizations. The list is not intended to be an all-inclusive or comprehensive list, nor is it an endorsement of any vendor, nor is it any particular order. • DocVerify • LenderClose • Notarize • NotaryCam • Pavaso April 10, 2020 • Safedocs • SIGNiX • World Wide Notary Other platforms that are not specifically designed for remote notarizations that notaries may choose to consider include: • Go To Meeting • Microsoft Team • Google Meet • Skype

I have not paid to join a platform like Notarize, although I did purchase an electronic seal in April. I have had zero calls to do any remote closings. I did some training through Mortgage Connect's platform SimplySecureSign in the spring, but never heard another word about it. I recently got a call for remote GNW and I would consider doing it through Skype but I am not sure of any liability issues. It's not really a money maker so I am not willing to take a personal risk to do it.

Msg #622667

11 replies
Why all the $75 fee offers these days? Hard to justify.
By  Cheryl Elliott on 8/2/20 10:42am

Since I turned off SDs, I don't see many of these offers any longer.

I realized a long time ago that the reason signing services offer these bottom of the barrel fees is that they have made a "volume deal" with title companies to take everything they have for $125, passing on that "volume deal" to notaries. This is how these companies survive, getting newbies to work for $75, the SS keeps $50, but not a bad deal since they have this "volume deal" with their title companies. To boot, many of these signing services who are really NSA's posing as SSs, won't pay for 45 to 90 days since they have their own priorities when it comes to paying out to notaries.

As we know most lenders pay way more than this on the CD. Chase, for example, automatically allocates $150 in their fees for each closing. I am paid $125, more for distance, but not through a signing service, but by national title companies. I am amazed when I receive calls to do last-minute signings, and I'm asked what my fee is, $200 is not a problem with title companies. I had one with yesterday with a major account, I asked for $150 since it was in my backyard, and the scheduler immediately agreed. Apparently an earlier notary bailed and was a no-show for an out of state refi.

I guess some people are happy with $75 per signing and will take all they can get of these "volume deals." If you do the math. Four a day at $125 to $200 ($500 to $800) is way more beneficial to your bottom line than $300 (four at $75). If this is a notary's business model, it's time to change it up, because, in these turbulent times of signing in extremely perilous exposure to the COVID-19, $75 is not enough to cover all the costs of being in this business for months to come.

Cost to take your car on the road differs for everyone depending on geography. I picked up a 3" screw in my side wall right rear tire recently and had to purchase a tire at $152. Got it fixed in less than an hour at dealership. I couldn't get to Costco, and there would have been a long wait if I did. I had to keep going with 8 files that day. Oh well, it was supposed to be a $0000 day. How do notaries absorb/justify $75 fees when things like this occur. Glad I could afford it. These were new tires at the beginning of the year. The cost of gas varies from $2.77 to $3.89 a gallon in my area, so I try to refuel at ConServ or Costco.

If you're out all day, you might have to drive through an eatery for nourishment, if you haven't packed goodies in your car for the day. Eating at home costs less and means healthier food choices. But I can't always take the time to run home to eat, plus the cost to run up and down the mountain.

COVID-19 mandated supplies: Hand sanitizers, gloves, masks, booties over your shoes, portable 6' folding table and chairs. Pens to leave with the clients after the signing. Have you figured out what these expenses are on a weekly/monthly basis?

Reality checks are good! Stay safe and healthy during this crazy business climate. With lower rates on the horizon, we can all expect to be very busy, and we need to make good business decisions.

Msg #622635

19 replies
Paying a fee to get my money via direct deposit?
By Steve Silva on 8/1/20 2:46pm

I've been working with a signing service this past month and just received my first payment from them. I had set up a direct deposit via SnapDocs and was expecting to be paid like that but I instead received an e-Check. I've never dealt with one before but I guess I just print it out, cut it to size, and deposit it. If I want to option for direct deposit then the echeck company will charge me 2.99%! I don't want to pay to receive my money! Who else has seen this?

Msg #622629

16 replies
That Radon disclosure is immportant
By Luckydog on 8/1/20 11:12am

In the majority of loan packages are also referring to granite countertops as well as comingup from the ground. All granite countertops emit radon gas/ radioactivity which is the #2 lung cancer-causing element under smoking. So those people who get lung cancer and never smoked could be why.

http://www.snopes.com/fact-check/taken-for-granite/

http://www.epa.gov/radon/what-about-radon-and-radioactivity-granite-countertops#:~:text=While%20radon%20gas%20and%20radiation%20emission%20levels%20attributable,limit%20your%20family%27s%20exposure%20to%20radon%20whenever%20possible.

I was informed that news yesterday and never heard that before, and wow, it's true! I only thought something that came up from the ground, but it is a very important fact in homes with granite countertops, which my new house has a lot of. My signer was told it was important to keep them sealed at all times...I am still researching that, but I guess it's a good idea. Truthfully not sure a little sealant would contain radioactive materials from omitting though and probably just something for your own mind to think is working.
Different colors can omit higher levels.
Who knew?? Now at a closing we know what that about to be a little more informed if you decide to go there with the piece of triva or everytime we walk ino a public building with a ton of granite, it will be in our minds.

Msg #622622

3 replies
Safety app, new to me! Citizen traces COVID-19 and crimes
By  Cheryl Elliott on 8/1/20 8:42am

Has anyone heard of this app? Makes a lot of sense to have on your phone in metro areas. It's not available in my domicile area yet, but is available in more populated areas where I travel. Could be very useful to NSAs and notaries nationally.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sp0n.citizen&hl=en

One of my neighbor's adult daughter is home for the summer, lives in Venice, CA, a very colorful part of Los Angeles sandwiched between Marina Del Rey and Santa Monica. These are my old stomping grounds when I lived, worked and schooled in WLA/Santa Monica area in my 20s and 30s. She turned me onto it. She works in Venice which is a hotbed for COVID-19 currently since everyone loves the beach scene there.

Msg #622619

10 replies
Signature Closers - NPPI Memo
By kcg on 8/1/20 7:15am

I rec'd an email from SC explaining that there have been numerous errors on the part of the notaries re safeguarding borrower's NPPI. They list the ways these errors are happening and it is costing them lots of money to buy Lifelock for borrowers.

Here's a concept...instead of mass texts going out for $85 or less, build a base of professional agents in any given area and pay them a fair fee. If you pay your agents a fair fee, they will move mountains for you.

The memo also goes on to state that they will start billing agents for future Lifelocks they have to provide to the borrower for any violation of the NPPI. My question...how would they know if the agent was loose with the NPPI unless it was obvious like emailing copies, etc.

I only accept maybe 5 a year from SC and that's only when they call me and pay my fee. As professional with 16 years experience, I know how to protect the borrower's NPPI. Maybe some on the newbies and underpaid agents don't really know how or even care. JMHO

Msg #622602

16 replies
A borrower took my temperature today. 97.1 so he let me in
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/30/20 11:26pm

It was a loan application for a Vietnam disabled veteran. I chuckled and submitted willingly. I've had my temperature taken a dozen times lately. Hairdresser, eye surgeon, GP, lab, ER, hospital business office, a pulmonologist.

I don't really mind that much...I feel great.

Msg #622600

1 replies
why is it
By  canotaryhere on 7/30/20 9:37pm

that some packages can come through with 4 notarizations while others have 13 for the same ending? I am tired of this nonsense and also the lazy people working for title companies who can't seem to figure out the recission dates.
Add to that all the poor customer service going on everywhere, closed branches of BofA, lousy 5 minute eye exams, i8ncompetence at the DMV, etc.

Msg #622589

5 replies
15 year under 2%
By Clem/CA on 7/30/20 8:59am

United Wholesale Mortgage — a company that earlier this year announced 30-year fixed mortgage rates as low as 2.5% and VA loans for veterans and service members at just 2.25% — has just introduced a 15-year loan with rates under 2%.

Msg #622581

6 replies
Signature Closers Text Spamming?
By Kellosh/CA on 7/29/20 7:28pm

I've been signed up and taking occasional signings from Signature Closers for about a year. (They generally pay too low, but sometimes if I counteroffer, they'll accept my rate.) I get notifications about signings they offer via email and through a push notification on their app. About a week ago, out of nowhere, I also get text messages when there's a signing available.(Useless texts by the way, since the notification say only that there's a signing available. It doesn't give any information on the job or even a link to get the details). I never authorized this with them, and it's driving me crazy, as they're one of those outfits that will keep repushing a job until someone fills it, every hour or so. I'm getting 5-10 text messages from them every hour, and I can't find a way to make it stop. I've tried emailing and calling them. No answer. I double checked my profile on their website to see if there was a way to opt out of messages. No option I can find. I'm about at the point of just asking them to remove me from their database. I don't get enough work through them to make extensive efforts to address this worth my time. Anyone had this issue arise and if so, how did you get it resolves?

Msg #622572

9 replies
Msg. 622473 cont.--Carmen. I did some research
By  MW/VA on 7/29/20 5:37pm

& found www.pancan.org/ It's the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.
I made a contribution there in memory of Carmen.

Msg #622558

14 replies
New to the game
By Alexis Turner on 7/29/20 3:34pm

My name is Alexis, I am new to the signing agent game (its Title Insurance Producer here) from Maryland.

What are your must haves (other than requirements, I am already a standard Notary) but things that help you the most setting up your business.

What do you wish you would have known starting out?

Did you have a mentor?

I am getting ready to send off my application for my TIP shortly but thought it would be nice to get some feedback from experienced signers.

-nice to "meet" all of yo--Alexis

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.