Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #625495

9 replies
Clarify please
By Deanna Williams on 10/18/20 9:35pm

Question, please help clarify. Does Notary Rotary work like Signing Order? I'm only asking because I read on another forum that it's just a forum.

Msg #625487

3 replies
Proposed law similar to CA AB-5?
By shooterclay on 10/18/20 4:12pm

Why millions of freelancers fear a Biden presidency may put them out of work

http://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/17/why-freelancers-fear-a-biden-presidency-may-put-them-out-of-work.html

Msg #625481

4 replies
anyone know? United Wholesale?
By aanotary on 10/18/20 1:56pm

trustee or not after the name. I usually wait until day of to print docs ( signing today , Sunday) of course no instructions from title or in the docs. When In doubt I do NOT have them write " trustee"- I figure we can always add- but can't take out-if anyone knows, Thank you for your info.

Msg #625477

6 replies
Interesting Story re. Movement in the US
By  Cheryl Elliott on 10/18/20 11:00am

By: Adam Racusin
Posted at 7:51 AM, Oct 17, 2020
and last updated 7:51 AM, Oct 17, 2020

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- Coming to California, leaving the Golden State, the pandemic's opened up possibilities for people looking to move.

Some are escaping cities with high costs of living, and others are looking for cities that offer bigger houses and more room to work from home.

“When we landed on Florida, he said, ‘I can live there,’ and I said, ‘I can live there,’” said Crystal Sargent.

About a week ago, Sargent moved from San Diego to southwest Florida.

California's original stay at home order has changed the way she operates her company.

Most everything is now done remotely; no need to all be in one physical location.

"During COVID, you know when you were just more stationary, and you didn't have to fight traffic, you didn't have to rush off from one meeting to the next, for me I could just focus on my client's success," Sargent said.

"There's just a lot that Utah doesn't offer that California does," said David Keller.

Keller's a web developer for an eCommerce company.

Right now, he lives in Utah.

"I've been here for a couple of years now, and I just could not wrap my head around the snow," he explained.

Keller said his company changed its remote work policy, allowing some employees to work from anywhere in the country.

At the end of this week, he's packing up and moving back to sunny southern California.

Keller said if the pandemic hadn't shifted many employees to a remote work environment, he probably wouldn't be moving to California.

People Moving

According to a COVID-19 migration report from Hire A Helper, Americans are moving. The report found that across the country, 15% of all moves between January and June 2020 were forced by the pandemic. The company said another key finding of their report is that 37% of people moving due to COVID moved because they couldn't afford to live where they were living.

"At the state level, it's the states with a higher population, and a higher rate of COVID spread that saw the biggest net losses of moves. Since the pandemic was declared, 64% more people left New York and California than moved in," the report stated.

While some in California chose to leave the state, a closer look at the numbers from Hire A helper shows there hasn't been a mass exodus.

Their data shows 82% of Californians who moved relocated somewhere else within the state.

Many moved to smaller and, in some cases, less expensive cities, while others to the suburbs.

According to Hire A Helper, 47% of all San Diego moves were within San Diego and 67% of those who moved out of San Diego went to the Los Angeles area.

According to United Van Lines, there was a decline in moving requests from March to May 2020 compared to the same period in 2019. In a moving trends and data insights release, "Interstate move requests were lower in March 2020 (26% decrease) and April 2020 (31% decrease) than 2019 data. However, moving interest in September 2020 is notably higher than the previous year (32% increase) — indicating a shifting peak moving season, which typically occurs in late spring and early summer."

Rental Market

Rob Warnock is a research associate for the online rental platform Apartment List.

"You have people who are leaving the rental market to enter the home ownership market, for example, you have people who are just moving within cities because a lot of cities like San Francisco have a lot of variation in the housing market just across different neighborhoods or nearby suburbs," Warnok said.

He explained there are different migration flows, and people's current situation is driving moves some hadn't considered.

According to an Apartment List national rent report, rent prices in some areas across the country are down.

Their report noted, "Of the 100 largest cities for which we have data, 41 have seen rents fall since the start of the pandemic in March. To put that in perspective, during the same months last year just four cities saw a drop in rent prices, and among them the average decline was only 0.8 percent. And even in the cities where rent growth has been positive through the pandemic, it has still been sluggish. Seventy of the 100 largest cities are currently registering slower year-over-year rent growth than at this time last year.”

It also showed falling rent prices in expensive coastal cities. Although in San Diego Apartment List found San Diego rents have increased 0.8% over the past month but have decreased moderately by 1.4% in comparison to the same time last year.

The report stated, "While rent declines in most cities have been relatively modest, a handful of major cities are experiencing significant and rapid price reductions. San Francisco leads the pack with a decline of 17.8 percent since the start of the pandemic. The median 2-bedroom apartment in San Francisco now rents for $2,592, compared to $3,254 at this time last year. Though it remains the most expensive market in the country, San Francisco renters may now be able to find better deals than at any time in recent memory."

Msg #625470

1 replies
page separator
By Jayhawk/KS on 10/17/20 5:22pm

Is the page separator not working?
It was fine yesterday and the day before.

Msg #625462

13 replies
First/Worst Signing.
By Jazmyn Sampson on 10/17/20 11:22am

I'm Honestly embarrassed to say I am NNA trained and certified I must say.
I was unfamiliar with most documents, I signed my name incorrectly from my stamp and missed a few signatures.
I put a line through my name and signed it correctly on most docs and squeezed my middle name in where i could on the others. I am embarrassed i just hope the package is acceptable. I made sure all signatures were there and everything else looks good. There was a document of notary acknowledgment with Individual and "Entity " notary signing. A very confusing document. The entity section seemed as if that was for the companies notary I was really unsure of that document and couldn't even call the company because its Saturday. I definitely need to go home and study and familiarize myself with the loan documents again. I am kicking myself. Next time will be better. I appreciate any tips. The Signing was 50 miles away btw and they texted me for it at 5pm and said it was urgent asap also this was my first signing, a refinance and hour away lol its hilarious.

Msg #625457

8 replies
Closing USA/Loan Depot
By ADM/VA on 10/17/20 8:49am

Closing USA/Loan Depot. I have done a few signings for them recently through a signing service. I spend so much time rearranging their paperwork. It's a mess! They have a stacking order that requires title affidavits (what are those EXACTLY anyway?), notary instructions (there are many) and the Fed Ex label, plus note, deed, and CD in front. Why not just arrange the documents like that when they submit it to the notary? Also, they put a really lengthy customer information sheet in their packages where they ask the borrowers to list things like previous marriages, places they lived in past 10 years, etc. and it takes a long time for the borrowers to figure that out and they usually ask why do they need to fill it out when the lender already has a lot of this info.

Msg #625447

14 replies
Amrock “partnership”
By Jennifer Mumford on 10/16/20 7:04pm

I was recruited by some “signing agent recruiter “ who asked me to send a 33 page application with my commission and e/o Insurance to work with Amrock. I did this set my fees. Today I received an email stating my fees are significantly higher than the agents in my area (which is a crock of shit since I already get what I asked for working with an unnamed signing company ).
The fees they “suggest” are $65 plus $25 print for refinance- wow what a waste. I emailed the recruit and said I thought this was working directly with the title company. He must be getting a cut. Thanks for listening to me vent. Just wow, I guess recruiters looking for suckers. I don’t even do $85 refi’s with my lowest signing company. Hmmmm.
Has anyone else come across this nonsense ?

Thanks for listening and happy Friday !

Msg #625445

4 replies
Signing Central
By Bravo on 10/16/20 3:44pm

Can someone tell me how to get a signing agency listed in SC? I have one that is a very bad apple that I would like to list so as to give others a warning.

Msg #625442

2 replies
Hard costs of a signing
By rengel/CA on 10/16/20 2:39pm

At some point a notary in this forum posted a list of costs that go into a signing. I cannot locate it using the search. The list included commission, bond, E&O, toner, paper, mileage, wear & tear on your car, etc, etc, etc.

Does anyone know the post # off hand?

Thanks
Rengel/CA
Sac Valley Legal Document Preparation

Msg #625440

1 replies
Are you all Awake, Alert & Oriented (A&Ox4)?!
By NVLSlady/VA on 10/16/20 12:21pm

Is anybody out there??

I'm sure these guidelines have been posted in the past but wanted to share the highlights of my response to a TC regarding a decision to decline a signing for a potentially incapable Principal (see thread directly below!) Smile
Feel free to use my letter and modify to your circumstances. Here goes:

"Briefly I wanted to explain the "red flags" (which ethics and need to err on the side of Caution)* leading to my decision not to handle this assignment, in which not just an "elderly" signer, but one who may be potentially cognitively impaired is involved.
Since I'm not an attorney or healthcare professional, I deemed it best to limit my observations & "direction," and defer to those better qualified than myself. According to _________, the signer's short term memory is gone but she is otherwise fully cognizant, therefore able to converse with notary directly. It was Unusual to not be provided signer's direct contact info, thereby limiting the time to assess level of communication and personally determine what assistance, if any would be needed.
Feel free to contact me with any questions..."

--------------------------
One of a notary’s basic duties is to evaluate a signer’s awareness and willingness to sign. This applies to signer's overall awareness of his environment at the present moment, as well as awareness of the contents of the document, AND of his not being unduly influenced.

Guided by the principle that a notary has an ethical obligation to screen for mental competence, he or she is required by law to refuse a notarization if the signer lacks awareness of the significance of the transaction or what is in the document.

Other states may not have laws with specific guidelines but do recommend that notaries follow business best practices about screening their signers for awareness and willingness to sign. This screening involves asking questions and observing the way a signer communicates to get a better idea of his/her mental state.

For someone who is cognitively impaired, awareness may be an issue. If the principal cannot answer questions about the document or basic questions about their surroundings, or if they appear confused or are unable to communicate clearly, this indicates a potential problem.

Steps a notary can take to gauge awareness:

1. Ask to speak to the principal alone. Talk about non-personal matters (the weather or weekend plans, small talk, etc.) to determine how well the signer communicates and thinks.

2. Ask the signer to briefly explain the purpose of the document(s) he or she is signing.

*Indications That the Principal is Not Competent (red flags):

The signer is unable to answer the notary’s questions or is unresponsive.
The signer displays signs of confusion, disorientation or agitation.
The signer cannot explain the purpose of the document or why they are signing it.
The signer repeatedly asks questions about the notarization or needs to be reminded of what they are doing.

If a notary deems that a principal is not willing, aware or able to communicate coherently, he or she will likely refuse to notarize the document(s) in question. The Notary Public Code of Professional Responsibility of 2020 published by the National Notary Association states that a “notary shall not perform a notarial act if the notary has a reasonable belief which can be articulated that the principal or witness identifying the principal, if any, does not have the mental capacity to execute the notarial act.”

Agingcare.com
Michael Lewis (NNA)

I picked out pertinent points from his article, and of course, did some copy editing of my own!

P.S. Awake, Alert & Oriented x4 (A&Ox4) means the patient is alert and oriented to person, place, time, situation. Alertness is a global observation of the level of consciousness ranging from fully awake and alert to comatose.

Msg #625410

8 replies
Craziness Going On...
By NVLSlady/VA on 10/14/20 5:21pm

TC client putting me through "trials" today. Signing accepted for Fri. No contact info. When I request, I get a list of emails to contact. Huh???! Then was told "seller is elderly and communications need to go thru her agents and son, they are awaiting your confirmation and direction." AKA, we're too busy to track this one down. So different from most of my experiences with them (it's always, "Okay, we'll get to you asap!") I insisted that someone from the list reach out to me. Her son calls and proceeds to say he is the executor, his 94 yo mom's short term memory is gone, she'll need agent's help to find ID, they had to get her a cell phone cuz she lost her landline . . .

But this stood out above it all: "She should be DEAD!" It was emphatic, but not too empathetic. He added that she had had a fall in March, took a turn for the worse and they'd literally said their "goodbyes;" then she did a turnaround and basically recovered. I'm guessing this came as an unwelcome shock to them. Never heard a more cavalier, unconcerned "heir." Lol Well, he did say he'd be available if needed by conference. I stressed her need to be functioning, cognizant. Apparently, she's fine from moment to moment and can walk with cane and assistance to the porch. The R.E. agent was going to be there to help. I gave this one back.

Next, 5:30 for Monday sounded good; when confirming the time signer told me he & his wife would be landing at National around 4 and live 10 min from airport. Well, we'll see. Sent COVID signing instructions about international travel. One thing I am glad about is every signer sees the same checklist, and I keep hiring party in on it too (see they are aware NOTHING Has Changed).

Msg #625406

16 replies
How long does it take to start getting work from this site??
By Silver_line on 10/14/20 3:28pm

I haven't had one signing at all since I became a notary thru this site. I just did a background to see if that held work back but haven't received the results either and its been a week today that I submitted for a background check.

Msg #625400

8 replies
Notary Cloud/Village Capital
By NJ_Notary on 10/14/20 2:41pm

Any new information on this company?

Msg #625399

2 replies
Embosser
By Josie Ribot on 10/14/20 2:36pm

Are we required to use a hand held embosser anymore? Or is the stamp sufficient?

Msg #625397

5 replies
Meridian Natl Title in FL...no one is responding to emails,
By  Cheryl Elliott on 10/14/20 1:40pm

telephone, and wondering if there is hostile weather there and they are without connectivity. Clearwater, FL is their location.

Msg #625393

1 replies
Brother HL-L6200DW for sale
By Patricia Shanks on 10/14/20 12:53pm

Purchased new in summer 2019 and only used to test. So, pretty much new. With second drawer and extra toner cartridge. South Orange County, CA. Selling for an EXCELLENT price. If interested, let me know and we'll figure out how to communicate. After Nov. 30, 2020 please disregard this post.

Msg #625388

6 replies
My morning appointment canceled.
By  Yoli/CA on 10/14/20 10:05am

My morning appointment just canceled. This was for a hybrid and docs were not available to borrowers until this morning. Well ... numbers are incorrect. They're dealing with mortgage broker on the West Coast whose office doesn't open 'til 9:00am. Guess broker didn't give them an after-hours phone number. Signing was scheduled for 11:00am. Borrowers decided to cancel for today and reschedule some other day after numbers are corrected. This is a Quicken loan through Amrock. I was looking forward to the quick and easy $160 for this signing. Grrrr

Hope this is not a sign of how the rest of my day will go. <sigh>

Msg #625377

1 replies
New Notary Public
By VSunshinePNW on 10/13/20 5:46pm

Hi there!
I am a newer notary, basic notary work.
I am having a heck of a time with finding ways to practice so I am not so darn nervous and make mistakes on my jobs.
Does anyone have any advice on how to find someone to shadow or learn from??
or any tips you would like to include!!
Thank you in advance!

Msg #625368

2 replies
HireNotary.com
By Jazmyn Sampson on 10/13/20 3:13pm

How do y'all feel about HireNotary.com.
They send me emails weekly about really good pay $150+ for a signing.
As a newbie, I kind of want to give it a try. I also signed up for CafeNotary.com $5/mo for pro membership.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.