Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #630756

3 replies
I'm in need of a new carry case of sorts....
By Alz on 3/29/21 11:34am

Currently, using a Vaultz Personal File Tote , which is my second one since becoming a NSA. Broke the handles on the first one. The inside of the second is falling apart. Maybe a little bit of glue will help.

Ready for something a bit different, as this will be the last one before going into retirement.

By the way, I know we've discuss this before.

Any suggestions?

Msg #630751

5 replies
Your Structured Settlement Consultant (dot) com, Idaho
By  Yoli/CA on 3/29/21 9:10am

While on the road to a signing last Friday, received a phone call from Roman Devine from Your Structured Settlement Consultant.com looking to find a notary to partner with. He said he found me here on Notary Rotary. Said they've been in business for 4.5 years. Said they're located in Idaho. Said their packages are approximately 15 pages and already pre-filled. Said notary would collect copy of ID and have pre-filled forms signed and scan back and they'd pay $100. I countered with my base fee and he agreed. He understood that I would be vetting them and encouraged it. He agreed to send me their info. Here's what I received:

"Hey Yolanda, We just got off the phone.

Please see my contact info below:

Roman Devine

Your Structured Settlement Consultant
YourStructuredSettlementConsultant.com
Direct: 208-534-5994
Toll Free: 1-888-244-7994

Thanks! Looking forward to working with you!"

Website only lists phone number, no location. Not much 'net presence. I wasn't able to find any business with that namestyle registered in Idaho. I replied to his email with what I found and requested actual street address. No response as of yet. His phone call came through on 510-961-7848 (my phone is a 510 area code).

Anyone have any experience with this outfit? Is this just another scam? This inquiring mind wants to know. Wink

Msg #630750

3 replies
CA gas price$ soaring. $3.90 pg here on the central coast
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/29/21 8:53am

I'll be thinking hard about how far I go these days.

Msg #630734

9 replies
Old age, frailness and life expectancy
By Luckydog on 3/27/21 3:20pm

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/frail+elderly
Biden meets all the criteria for those who are determined to say he is not.

At what age are you considered old? Interesting how it changed over the century...
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-age-is-considered-old-nowadays/

http://coolconversion.com/heath/life-expectancy-calculator-us/I-am_76_years-old.-What-is-my-life-expectancy%3F_m
Life expectancy chart, just plug in your age and sex and will tell you how much time you have left

Msg #630726

5 replies
mileage tax proposal
By Art_MD on 3/26/21 8:14pm

This could also be in politics

The US consumes approx 150 billions gal of gas a year

To fund an infrastructure bill of even 1.5 trillion over 10 years would mean 150 billion per year
math:: 150B gal * $1/gal times 10 years would equal $1.5 trillion.
If average car gets 33 miles/gal, the tax would be $.03/mile

BUT, figure the real cost would double (remember this is the government!!!) or $.06/mile

If you put on 100 mi/day running to signings, drop offs etc, thats $6/day

doesn't $.06/mile sound less than $1/gal

Msg #630718

7 replies
Case Dismissed for Counsel not wearing mask
By NVLSlady/VA on 3/26/21 4:12pm

I'm thinking I'd get myself another attorney.

Law360 (3/26/2021, 1:30 PM EDT) -- A Kings County Supreme Court administrative judge dismissed a case Thursday on the grounds that the plaintiff's attorney refused to wear a face mask during jury selection, after the lawyer appeared in court with a Face Shield and said his cloth mask constricted his breathing.

Judge Lawrence Knipel issued a one-page handwritten order in the 2017 case, which is seeking damages for injury in a car crash, dismissing the matter "upon plaintiff counsel's refusal to proceed with jury selection while wearing a face mask." The Judge says: "There is no question that the number one safety measure seems to be wearing masks . . . Masks must be worn in all courtrooms."

Plaintiff attorney Howard Greenwald /Chopra & Nocerino LLP told the court he had begun jury selection proceedings with a face shield, but was told that he could not pick a jury unless he had the mask on." Greenwald said, "I complied with that. I attempted to do this for a couple of minutes. I had particular difficulty. Just talking to your honor right now with the mask, my nose fills. I can't breathe."

Talking to the jurors across the courtroom the previous day required Greenwald to raise his voice, he said, adding, "I became lightheaded. I had to sit down after two minutes."

Greenwald said he switched back to a face shield after lunch Wednesday, and a court officer told him he would have to put on a cloth mask or leave the building. "I don't contest the rule," Greenwald told the court. ***"I just am not physically able to comply with the rule to do my job as a lawyer."***

"This case would have been one of the first in Kings County Supreme Court, Civil Term. Citywide there were 26 jury trials scheduled, 19 civil and 7 criminal."

"The plaintiff's attorney had an issue with our mandatory requirement that everyone must wear a mask while inside a court facility," Chalfen said. "He was told repeatedly, over the period of two days, that he must comply, and was given options by the administrative judge as to how he or his firm could continue to represent his client. We are serious regarding the health and safety of all our judges, nonjudicial staff, court officers and litigants. In that vein, as the attorney was unable to comply, the judge had no other alternative than to dismiss the action."

What was interesting to me is that the defense lawyer empathized with Greenwald and argued that the case should proceed. "I specifically practiced projecting and speaking with a mask on in my office in advance knowing that I would have to wear it," Feuerstein said. "Obviously the new normal, which is the new COVID-19 pandemic, masks are required everywhere."

Case was filed in Aug 2017 (seeking damages for a car crash). Plaintiff's attorney is 68 and has practiced law for 45 years. He requesting to try it in June. That's only 2 months away. Why bother?
Lawyers can't afford breathable equipment??

What say you? Is this abuse or . . . ?

Msg #630711

2 replies
Thermal Imaging Detects Contactless Temperatures
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/26/21 6:54am

Leave it to the teks to come up with a new technology to detect fevers in people. It is being widely sold already to law enforcement and hospitals.

I had a client yesterday who is one of the innovators of this new technology.

http://www.thermal.com/

This company has been around for some time here in Santa Barbara, but only since COVID-19 been working on this new imaging camera. They are already very diversified in fire event imaging and tracking wildlife.

Amazing stuff. A few years ago, a company called FLIR, also located in Santa Barbara, developed the camera that located the surviving Boston bomber in a boat under a tarp, with cameras that were attached to a helicopter on the search for this person that led to his capture.

Gotta love technology.

Msg #630707

2 replies
Help
By Barnes on 3/26/21 12:13am

im a new notary looking to gain some experience with general notary work. where is a good starting point / signing service

Msg #630684

17 replies
TX may require Embossers...just a Bill now
By Lee/AR on 3/25/21 1:56pm

Today's AAN newsletter mentioned this. Also posted a link to the bill. (I don't seem to be able to post links to either...sorry)
I wonder... if a Deed will not be recorded in TX without the use of an Embosser, what are they gonna do with a Deed notarized out of state where that state's law does NOT require an embosser?

Msg #630676

6 replies
Favorite Notary Stamp?
By  Lisa/Tx on 3/24/21 9:39pm

What is your favorite notary stamp? Mine is the Trodat Printy Model 4913. It is a slim stamp with with a crisp image. I order it at Notary Rotary and I love it EXCEPT it ALWAYS breaks. I have had to buy replacements multiple times.

Msg #630666

13 replies
Old Nurse and Brand New Notary Signing Agent-tips and wisdom
By Tamara Stewart on 3/24/21 4:40pm

All tips and wisdom appreciated. I am waiting on NNA to get my E & O Insurance released so I can find companies to sign up with. A tad frustrated with them. Anyway, I would love to get input from the experienced folks here regarding things like: what websites to join (besides this one because we are all here already). LOL! Any advanced courses I should be pursuing? I was looking around at Signing companies last night, and I need some who are "nation wide" because most of the ones that are actually here in Tennessee are out of business or very low rated. I have to admit, knowing how priceless experience is, but also knowing you cannot get experience without someone giving you a chance (wouldn't be any experienced Nurses if nobody wanted new grads-right?). it was a little disheartening to see some companies basically state, "If you do not have two years experience keep scrolling". I look forward to hearing from seasoned Signing Agents. Thank you! Tammy

Msg #630659

2 replies
Ratified Title in VA and MD BEWARE
By Kelly Gates on 3/24/21 10:58am

This title company started out great as far as pay. Unfortunately, my email requests for pay for a closing that took place the last week of January are floating in cyber space. I have called and have been told the processors are overwhelmed with training new hires. The operations manager Kendra Raley refuses to answer my calls or acknowledge my messages left with a "Tiffany". I saw a homeowner's review on google stating that his notary (one of the processors) who closed his loan and complained of being overwhelmed because they were understaffed, same story Tiffany gave me, to which the owner jumps online to claim they had more than enough staff. Yet no staff is processing payments. Thankfully I don't need the money, but it irritates me to think of those Notaries closing loans for them that may need the money (in a reasonable time frame) They are 60 days past due paying me and I am still waiting. This company is recruiting online notaries now. Maybe you'll get paid for the first couple of signings, like I did, then suddenly, nothing! Unless you are ok with the risk of not getting paid, pass on this Title Company.

Msg #630648

10 replies
Last year I notarized a POA for a paraplegic gentleman
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/24/21 9:22am

giving his sister and niece powers to manage, sell and maintain his real property portfolio, as well as his asset accounts. He is confined to his bed, which occupies the ground floor of the main room with all his life support equipment. In spite of his physical, his mind is sharp as a tack, he has all the technology to stay current with everyone going on in the outside world.

Yesterday I received a call from his sister asking if I knew how he could receive the Covid-19 vaccination. She has called everyone she can think of to get someone to make a house call, to no avail.

This is way beyond my skill set and knowledge base. As notaries, we get called upon for a lot of information and services, which of course is in no way related to our duties. I want to assist if I can. I can't imagine what it must be like to care for your younger brother 24/7. She only recently brought in a relief person so she can get out and grocery shop after her own vaccinations were completed.

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of an individual getting the vaccine at home?

The individual is a resident of San Luis Obispo county and is 60 years old. He had quite a stellar career before a tragic car accident left him paralyzed due to spnal cord injury.

Msg #630643

7 replies
New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID.
By JanetK_CA on 3/23/21 7:22pm

I've finally run into a situation with signers (for tomorrow) whose DLs are expired. They applied for renewed DLs a while back, but have yet to receive them. I had some time this afternoon, so finally did a deep dig into the issue of whether or not the extension of Driver Licenses shown on DMV website allows for use as ID, and the bottom line appears to be NO.

[CA DMV site says that seniors over 70 can have a 1-year extension for expired DLs: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/news-and-media/dmv-gives-1-year-extension-to-senior-drivers-with-expiring-licenses/.]

So I did a search and found the actual Executive Orders issued by the Governor. Executive Order N-63-20, specifically refers to the section of notary law relating to identification, and adds 60 days for that purpose to DLs expiring after March 1, 2020.

The subsequent EO adds extensions to lots of different things, but not across the board. It lists each one, with replacement language where applicable, paragraph by paragraph. The specific paragraph that allowed for the use of DLs for ID purposes was not listed, but the one allowing for extension of expiration for notary commissions was. So it looks to me like the 60 day extension for use as ID was not rescinded (as some other things were), but neither is it extended beyond that. (Notary commission info is on the SOS website.)

So, while seniors over 70 in CA can legally drive for an additional year after their DL expires, they can't use it for ID for more than 60 days beyond the expiration date. Current circumstances, however, would probably qualify them for the "difficult or impossible" standard for use of CWs.

Msg #630638

5 replies
notary portal
By Michael Saperstein on 3/23/21 1:47pm

any one know who this is?

Msg #630632

6 replies
signings
By Katherine Herrera on 3/23/21 1:15am

Can someone tell me how I can get more signings?

Msg #630620

1 replies
Is anyone familiar with Miller Title in Garland, TX? n/m
By  ikando on 3/22/21 11:01am

Msg #630606

12 replies
On SharkTank: "It wouldn't be fair to you."
By NVLSlady/VA on 3/21/21 11:31pm

Caught this on an episode tonight and thought it was too good not to share.

Barbara was countered on a deal (asking her to reduce her share from 20%, down to 10 or 15%... forgot which) partnering with another 'shark.' She responded above.

Her reasoning was that the percentage proposed by the entrepreneur wasn't enough to cause her to "wake up excited" to work for him and give her all. Smart lady!

So, when they want us to "help them out" . . .
IT WOULDN'T BE FAIR to the signers to give them less of my care/attention by accepting a lower offer. Also, my pricing is reviewed regularly to ensure it meets current market demand, as well as guarantee I am able to make a fair & reasonable profit for the value I'm bringing.

Msg #630603

6 replies
No Pay Company
By Jean Pierre on 3/21/21 6:43pm

Stay away from Celtic Signing, did a signing since November 2019. Never got paid and they are not picking up their phone

Msg #630588

29 replies
I was completely embarrassed at a refi package yesterday
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/21/21 10:26am

Has this ever happened to any of you? I haven't had a loan "bomb" in years! I was completely caught off guard. Of course, I'll be paid full fee. It goes to show you how far things can proceed without really being analyzed as a loan that had no tangible benefits for the borrower.

I had no idea of why this woman was refinancing her home, I printed the docs, really only checked to make sure everything printed correctly sometimes the docs print a little off the page, and must be adjusted to accommodate.

I get to the signing, and the borrower has asked her nephew to come to the signing to review the docs.

In this case, I know the lender sent the CD three days before the closing. Plenty of time to review and decide whether to move forward. There was no appraisal.

The woman had 64 more payments left on a 30 year loan. I did not review her app before dashing out the door to be timely.

New loan had no page that discussed "net tangible benefits". This was a refi with the same lender.

New loan was for 10 years, twice the length of the time remaining. I don't usually get into this detail with clients, they should know if a loan benefits them.

The interest rate was 2.75%, paying of $59K loan balance with interest of 5.75%. New loan was $66K.

The nephew who is an insurance broker and owns homes wanted to know, "who sent you, why would her bank underwrite a new loan for more than she owed for twice the length of time?" I was completely embarrassed because I am now asking the same question, since I was not familiar with her property, her loan, her length of time in the home, or anything else other than I was requested to bring the papers for her to sign. This was the final package of 6 signings I had yesterday.

So apparently she was clueless too.

Nephew planned to call the lender/LO to give him a piece of his mind that lender is taking advantage of his 65+ old aunt, who has not been married in decades and has paid for this home completely on her own.

Of course, we did not sign, after an hour, I closed my journal, gathered the documents and left. Nephew thanked me for my time.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.