Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #631046

8 replies
SOS Notary Exam Processing Times
By  Cheryl Elliott on 4/7/21 8:06am

A friend and I journeyed to Thousand Oaks yesterday to take our test with the California Proctor. There were only 19 of us, each seated at our own 6' foot table after taking the refresher class. There aren't a lot of scheduled test sites, like in past years, so we had to make a little drive south.

I would say there are around 10 questions about penalties and fines, Administrative, Civil and Criminal prosecution, and suspension and revocation of commissions.

Give yourselves plenty of time to renew this year, as it is taking 20 business days to receive test results and up to six months to process commissions.

Keeping my fingers crossed, it is going to be close, but if I don't receive by my current commission expiration, it's a good time to take a little road trip with family, and I'll be looking forward to that.

Msg #631037

5 replies
Gas price difference
By  Yoli/CA on 4/6/21 4:09pm

So, I was just at the UPS Store to drop off packages. There's a Sam's Club with a gas station right behind it. Thought "better gas up while I'm here." Good thing! Every lane had a line of at least 5 cars waiting. Member price for regular unleaded is $3.36 p/gal. Arco near me has same fuel for $3.71 p/gal.

Msg #631007

6 replies
Patriot Act
By Iris Gravenius on 4/5/21 2:56pm

When a document asks for a title on a non notarized page what is the best practice? I have heard place Signing Agent after your name then Notary Public. Example is the Patriot Act

Also on notarized documents are you always writing "notary Public" after you name the NNA samples show you just sign (they do not place "notary public" after the name. Seems odd since you are placing your stamp on the document already.

Msg #631003

18 replies
Anyone Leasing a Printer?
By Julie/MI on 4/5/21 2:38pm

My 4350 retired and I was having problems with the drivers.

HATE the Brother

considering leasing a huge multifunction. Minimum lease is 36 months for $199 per month. Copies are additional. .006 per page. 60 month lease is $129 per month. These toner costs are too much.

Nice to see some familiar names here. Smile

Msg #631001

3 replies
loan signings
By Manuel Barrios on 4/5/21 12:25pm

does anyone know how I can get my first loan signing?!! I've been certified for a few months now but just haven't figured out where to apply to or how to get the signs coming in for me

Msg #631000

2 replies
Signing opportunities in AZ
By ValerieAZ on 4/5/21 12:24pm

Hi. I am a Notary Signing Agent in AZ. I am wondering if there is anyone from AZ on this forum who isn’t already established with particular S. Services/ Title companies that can inform me about the decline in signing opportunities in AZ. I am on several platforms and a few Signing Services but the opportunities notifications have been almost non-existent. The three notifications that I have received from Snapdocs since early February, each one were unread only too close to appointment time. There wasn’t enough time to download and print the docs, much less get to the location on time. Then, a good majority of the few select possibilities from another platform, seem to be in locations of AZ that are about 2+ hrs away, some of them I had to google where the town was, and I’m an AZ native lol! Have the signing opportunities declined that much in the Valley? I am in the East Valley.

Msg #630996

11 replies
Virtual Inspections
By Elizabeth Little on 4/5/21 10:03am

Has anyone signed up or received and offer to sign up with VirtualSiteInspections.com They only give you 24 hours to sign up and got my name off this site

Msg #630968

7 replies
Witness (not credible witness)
By  Yoli/CA on 4/3/21 7:09pm

Just so newbies are aware, if a witness is required and neither the borrower(s) nor you can provide one, TC will hire one and TC will pay directly.

Had a signing yesterday that I had accepted the day before. Late afternoon, I get a text from TC asking if I can provide a witness for DOT. Normally, that would not be an issue for me. However, that day, my usual witness was unavailable. When I hire a witness, I pay them immediately upon completion. For yesterday's signing, TC hired another notary to act as witness. She was only there for witnessing 2 docs and then left. I have no idea what she's being paid. But, it was a stress relief to know I was not responsible for procuring one. <whew> Wink

Msg #630942

9 replies
Well...got first 'offer' from Stewart TITLE fka
By Lee/AR on 4/2/21 8:40pm

Signature Closers on their Signature SYNC platform.
Yeppers... a refi of estimated 150 pages WITH scanback for....wait for it....$75

Getting to where we need a flowchart to keep track of who's who OR how many layers of middlemen there are.

Msg #630935

6 replies
IRA options for notary?
By Kellosh/CA on 4/2/21 5:47pm

From 2000 to 2018 I was a W2 employee with access to a 403b (the non-profit version of a 401k). When I went full-time self-employed in 2019, I opened a SEP IRA and started making contributions. The problem I've run into this year and last year is that because the majority of my Notary income isn't subject to SE tax, my self-employment income is too small to qualify my contributions. After this happening for the second year in a row, my accountant is trying to research to see how a notary would save for retirement with the best tax advantages, since it seems the SEP IRA isn't working for me. (Income between my husband and I is too high for a Roth). Anyone have any experience or suggestions on this. Note: I will take all comments as anecdotal comments and not as professional tax planning advice.

Msg #630922

36 replies
With the fast accelerating of gas prices
By  Cheryl Elliott on 4/2/21 4:08pm

I'm thinking of changing my fee structure to recapture the added burden on my expenses and thus my business profit. in

Heretofore, my base fee is $XXX up to 15 miles radius, plus $25 in increments of each additional 20 miles.

What are other California notaries charging for incremental travel distance?

Msg #630912

7 replies
Mortgage Conn... Inspire
By Signerbill on 4/2/21 12:54pm

Anyone, with experience, getting the "NEW orders from their auto system? 41 notices and not one acceptance... Sad vendor relations.... clearly they do not monitor their flow, or respond to inquiries..

Msg #630911

0 replies
Mortgage n/m
By Signerbill on 4/2/21 12:49pm

Msg #630903

5 replies
Overnight fee
By Bettie Theroux on 4/2/21 11:39am

A Closing company is asking me what I charge for a Single Overnight Fee. What is "overnight referring to? Docs being sent back? What is the going rate? I know the size of the package will dictate the price, but I want to be able to give a fair and reasonable price.

Thank you!

Msg #630898

10 replies
What's it like to sign 9 refinances in one sitting
By  Cheryl Elliott on 4/2/21 9:56am

Grueling. Packages were'nt that big, but the vesting and signature blocks on two deeds of trust and riders were all wrong, and that took a long time to get worked out with lender/escrow.

I had #2 Pfizer shot on Wednesday and felt like crap. I also did not sleep well the night before the signing and I had 3 other signings before the marathon multi-file signing.

The borrowers were awesome. They ordered a vegetarian pizza for us. They offered up a glass of wine, no thanks, my first job is to get everything signed and didn't need any vino. I was there for five hours. My brother drove me all over yesterday because I did not feel like doing all the driving, especially at night and borrowers live in the mountains along a rugged, steep but paved road.

The borrowers thanked me profusely for my patience and being a trooper. I have to go back today and get the corrected deeds and riders signed

It was well worth it. I came home, hit the pillow immediately and feel back to normal after #2 vaccine shot. Glad that is over.

Msg #630895

8 replies
2021 Tax Planning
By Art_FL on 4/2/21 6:39am

Establish a Solo 401(k) profit sharing plan now. If you are earning more than you spend, this will allow you to shelter mush more than a SEP IRA. You will be saving for your retirement much faster and reducing the tax you pay for 2021.

Msg #630890

6 replies
Non payment from signing Service
By Golden State Settlements - Notary on 4/1/21 7:48pm

What does everyone do about a signing service not paying and having to hound them to get your money? Small claims court, call the police and file a report, start writing legal letters demanding payment??? Or just kiss it goodbye and no longer do business with them?

Thanks!

Msg #630877

0 replies
Thank you HARRY!
By  CPNS2006 on 4/1/21 11:45am

Received my business cards and got a surprise...an extra box! He said he was delayed in getting my order out but I honestly didn't notice since my schedule has been super ridiculous busy lately.

Quality business cards and I always come back here for more!

Very generous of you Mr. Harry, thank you!

Msg #630856

5 replies
Signer(s) Copies - what to include/exclude?
By Keith Cohen on 3/31/21 5:39pm

Hi - new NSA here - performed 7 signings in my first month so far, and eager to get more assignments. I'm looking for tips on what documents from a package I should exclude when printing/providing a copy to the signer(s). There are obvious ones like the FedEx printing label that I don't include, but I'm looking for best practices from the experts here. Thank in advance for your input!

Msg #630844

16 replies
I am the 2nd notary in a signing today
By Gavina Franklin on 3/31/21 1:23pm

The first notary made multiple mistakes. Should I contact her to make her aware of them, or just let it go?

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.