Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #647990

3 replies
Arizona Notary question.
By Susan/CA on 3/15/24 4:55pm

I have tried reaching out to a couple of Notaries in AZ and only received a response from one. The information was very I received waws quite vague. Does anyone know if AZ has RON in full affect and if so has it taken over the loan signing business? I may move to AZ early next year and need to get an idea of what the market looks like. I know here in So. CA business has been agonizingly slow. I have been blessed to have been receiving a lot of HELOCs (fair paid) and I am not feeling like moving to AZ (Kingman) is going to be a good business move. I have been doing loan signings for over 23 years and I have a pretty good clientele here. I don't have to move but may move for love. LOL ;-) Does anyone have any insight into what's going on in AZ? TIA!!!

Msg #647989

0 replies
BCHH appears to have gone to the dark side
By bfd110_IN on 3/15/24 3:24pm

Used to work for them direct.. Used to be the one that would text and go...Hey you available?? Last couple months has been quiet and then started seeing them pop up on SnapDocs and Signature Closers...... Fees are Horrible. I knew they were part of the Stewart Group but damn.... I was amazed how low they dropped. Makes me that much closer to wanting to dip out and just enjoy the beach when I move to the beach in June. 22 years has been long enough.

Msg #647987

0 replies
$418 million real estate settlement
By  Yoli/CA on 3/15/24 12:08pm

From NMP article dated 3/15/2024:

Home sellers have the whole world in their hands, the ball in their court, and the power to compensate their real estate agents - or not - after the National Association of Realtors (NAR) agreed to a $418 million settlement Friday.

The settlement was not an admission of wrongdoing on part of the NAR and its affiliates and it makes that inherently clear. "This agreement is the best outcome we could achieve in the circumstances," Interim CEO Nykia Wright said. "It provides a path forward for our industry, which makes up nearly one-fifth of the American economy, and NAR."

This action puts power back into the hands of consumers, and releases brokers tied to the litigation from its grip.

Happy Friday, all.

Msg #647985

2 replies
Printer/Scanners
By Beryl Butler on 3/15/24 10:46am

I need to purchase a new scanner that will scan legal documents. Any suggestions.

Msg #647976

10 replies
Commercial loans
By  Leslie_Mo on 3/13/24 5:57pm

I haven't done many (any) commercial loans. I accepted one for tomorrow at $75 and thought at that fee it would be a small package. Just got the docs and it's over 140 pages. What would you charge for that?

Msg #647971

3 replies
Apostille? Need emblem? Sending documents to foreign country
By Akela Chisolm on 3/13/24 12:22am

I can help start to finish!!! Thank you

Msg #647959

5 replies
Pre-sign???
By  Yoli/CA on 3/12/24 8:30am

Had an email yesterday at 1:13pm from a new-to-me TC in Illinois for a pre-sign package with scan backs to be signed at 4:10pm. First of all ... what's a pre-sign? I thought maybe it was an application. You know ... sometimes lender can't get borrowers to complete the application process so they send someone out to "get it done." So, I reply that I am available and my fee with scan backs is $250. She responds saying it's a "pre-sign" for less than 60 pages. Okay, doesn't sound like one of those large packages. I change my quote (reiterating the "less than 60 pages") to $175. In 5 minutes, she accepts.

Nope. This was a seller's package for a cash transaction. Package consisted of approximately 35 pages, there were several notarizations, a witness was required for one of the documents. The interesting part was some of those notarization pages had the title of the document (i.e. Warranty Deed) at the top and a signature line for the seller and notary verbiage (non-California compliant); HOWEVER, the actual document (Deed or Affidavit) was not included. Yet, they wanted the signature notarized. Hmmm .... No can do. In California, I cannot notarize an incomplete document. Granted, that page has a title of Warranty Deed and signature line and notary verbiage. BUT, nothing else. Same for a couple of other docs.

Prior to accessing docs, I try contacting signers to confirm. Leave a voice mail message requesting return call ASAP. Send a text with same request. Get an email address from Title and send email with same request. No response. At 2:28, I email TC and attorney involved asking how they wish to proceed and advising if I print and travel to signing location, a full fee is incurred. No response. At 2:42pm I email all parties to please re-assign. Funny, signers call me back 10 minutes later. Too late. Someone else will be calling you.

Perhaps I was reading too much into this. I just wasn't comfortable with the whole transaction. Business may be slow; but, I'm not risking my commission.

Thoughts?

Msg #647954

1 replies
Interest Rates ...
By  Yoli/CA on 3/10/24 12:11pm

News feed on perceived interest rates:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/when-will-mortgage-rates-fall/ar-BB1jE1NY?ocid=socialshare&cvid=66cc4a9988914ab69814c6701ebe27ff&ei=39

Long story short -- best to not hold our collective breath for rates reduction this month of March. Frown

Msg #647951

3 replies
The worse fraud I've heard of in my career, MURDER FOR HIRE
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/8/24 9:48am

http://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/arrests-made-in-the-murder-for-hire-scheme-of-96-year-old-montecito-woman/

It was a staggering event. Most of the elderly citizens in the area were knocked back on their heals at the news of their neighbor's untimely death. She was so healthy. Only recently it was discovered that the woman had been swindled out of her lovely home high above the bustle of Santa Barbara, and then was killed because she wasn't "dead soon enough" and the perpetrator of the RE fraud wished to speed things along.

Msg #647949

4 replies
GNW - Advanced Health Care Directive
By  Yoli/CA on 3/8/24 8:06am

In California, a person can use a fill-in-the-blanks type Advanced Health Care Directive that many physicians' offices will supply to their patients. (see below link for PDF of the actual form )

http://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=b8f434d58b06ac54JmltdHM9MTcwOTg1NjAwMCZpZ3VpZD0xYWI3OWFhNi02ZjJjLTY0ZDAtM2U5YS04OWQyNmU2MDY1ZDYmaW5zaWQ9NTIxMQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=1ab79aa6-6f2c-64d0-3e9a-89d26e6065d6&psq=california+advance+health+care+directive+pdf&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY291cnRzLmNhLmdvdi9kb2N1bWVudHMvQWR2YW5jZWQtSGVhbHRoQ2FyZS1EaXJlY3RpdmUtRm9ybV8wMzE2MjAucGRm&ntb=1

I met with a lovely senior citizen yesterday to notarize her signature on her AHCD. She had quite the story. She'd called and spoken to another local notary who told her she needed to have a witness. She (the other notary) also told her to not fill out the forms until their meeting. She quoted her a price of $85 and she would meet her at a Starbuck's (one closest to the notary, not the signer).

This older lady then spoke to her apartment manager, who in turn referred her to me. I informed her she had a choice: Either have two (2) witnesses, Or have a notary -- not both. (to assuage her uncertainty, I asked her to call her doctor's office as they had given her that form and would be familiar with it) I further asked her to please complete the form prior to my arrival. I would come to her apartment, which is in the complex next to mine, at whatever time is convenient to her and quoted my fee.

All this to say: Folks PLEASE don't give out erroneous information. If you're not familiar with a form, research it. Most fillable forms come with instructions. Have the caller read those instructions to you.

In the above scenario, the senior citizen was so very relieved to know she didn't have to get any witnesses and could simply deal with only the notary. She asked for my business card and asked me to also leave some more at the apartment manager's office for easy referrals. Smile

Msg #647943

5 replies
A HELOC with 154 pages??!!??
By  Yoli/CA on 3/7/24 12:11pm

I have a HELOC today at noon and package is 154 pages! 2 signers, nothing special about it (no Trust or POA). Lender is United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) and Amrock. Handily, my set fee for a HELOC with Amrock is $200 for my county.

Don't believe I've ever seen a HELOC that large.

Msg #647934

9 replies
Invoices...What do you use?
By FeliseSoCal on 3/6/24 7:20pm

I use 2 part carbonless forms... I just went to re-order these and it's $75 for 250. I send them back for all the my direct clients with the package. I'm curious what everyone else is doing for their invoicing?

It seems rather costly.

Msg #647929

5 replies
What’s been your highest count of notarizations in a package
By anotaryinva on 3/6/24 5:50pm

Pretty sure I just received a record! At least for me, seller’s package 37! Six signers but even so, usually a sellers pack has maybe three!

Msg #647926

0 replies
Can Vermont JP administer oaths?
By VT_Syrup on 3/6/24 1:11pm

Our town clerk got reelected last night. Maybe one of the justices of the peace who isn't a notary who was present after the vote was counted could have administered the oath of office for the new term. But there have been several changes to both the notary laws and the justice of the peace laws, so I'm not sure. Anybody know?

I went to the town office today and administered the oath. Also helped with some vote count double-checking. Results won't be official until tomorrow.

Msg #647923

2 replies
Fidelity Investments Life Insurance hacked
By  Yoli/CA on 3/6/24 10:13am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/insurance-giant-fidelity-hit-by-data-breach-thousands-of-customers-may-have-had-data-stolen/ar-BB1jqMGS?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=bb1271b207a2470ebd6c054575da0cab&ei=47

Excerpt:

"The breach, which happened in November 2023, resulted in the theft of people’s names, Social Security numbers, states of residence, bank accounts and routing numbers, or credit/debit card numbers in combination with access code, password, and PIN for the account, and dates of birth."

Same article gives link for list of best firewalls.

Msg #647918

1 replies
Another big TC with Quality Control Issues...
By FeliseSoCal on 3/5/24 1:24pm

Did anyone else get this email:

Hello Notary Partner!
Important Notice Regarding Closing Packages Printing

We have noticed a recent increase in missing pages/pages printed incorrectly from closing packages, and wanted to provide some simple quality checks for you to do with every closing...

blah blah blah...You get what you pay for.😉

Msg #647909

5 replies
Vendors already asking for BGC 120 dqys
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/3/24 8:43pm

ahead of my expiration. Email arrived at 3pm. I sent them an email letting them know it doesn't expire June1, but on July 13.

Anyone else?

Msg #647905

3 replies
ESS or Executive Signing Service
By Leanna/AZ on 3/2/24 9:20pm

This has been an amazing company for many years now having payment issues.
Is anyone else?

Msg #647900

5 replies
Mortgage Connect misstep
By  Yoli/CA on 3/2/24 11:58am

On 2/29th, I received the following from them:

"To our Valued Vendors,

The Attached slides are the top 10 most common errors and rejects that are being identified on Spring EQ Closings.

Please take a moment to review these slides carefully so we can avoid these issues moving forward."

One of those slides was the Closing Disclosure Addendum and MC's instructions read: "If the package has a CD, the CD addendum will be included. Signing agent MUST Signand Date the Addendum to Closing Disclosure."

I found fault with that and sent them the following email: "QUESTION: CD Addendum signature line says “Settlement Agent” and certifies the accuracy of closing costs. Shouldn’t that document be signed by Title Settlement Agent as Notary/Signing Agent has no knowledge of how costs were gathered?"

March 1st blast email from MC: "We would like to apologize for the confusion when the Spring EQ guide was sent out yesterday. The below Addendum to Closing Disclosure was included in error. The Closing Disclosure Addendum is to be signed by the Title Company or Lender. Again, we apologize for any confusion this may have created.

Thank you,

Mortgage Connect, Vendor Management"

If you know your stuff and you see an error, it doesn't matter who they think they are. Let 'em know (politely)! Wink

Msg #647888

3 replies
JP Morgan Chase closing 18 branches in CA
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/1/24 10:01am

Including 1 in Santa Barbara is shutting down. There are still 5 other branches. I had a tone of signings at this branch in the golden years.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.