Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Not a "closing agent"
Posted by Bobbi in CT of ? on 4/23/05 9:56am Msg #33513
I never sign this.

1. I am not the "closing agent" in Connecticut (i.e., disburse the funds, record documents and issue title insurance policy).
2. My E&O does NOT cover everything within the text of that document. So if the "closing agent" disbursed the funds later than anticipated and the borrowers refused to pay the additional interest and late fees due to the original lender, who refused to release their mortgage until paid, and the new lender was PO'd because they are not in a first lien position - would your Notary Public E&O cover this? It wasn't within your function as a NSA, but you signed agreeing to pay any lose or fees ... and the title company didn't have to sign it because you already did.
3. I will sign NSA checklists, anything where I state I saw original identification as an NSA, but I never sign anything agreeing to cover loses where I have no control over the entire transaction.

My Connecticut personal opinion. May be different in your state. On Monday, for curiosity sake, call your E&O company and ask if they would cover this type of situation. Also ask if they cover your courier services (i.e., taking loan package to drop box, get in car accident on the way, signed loan documents destroyed, and borrowers have to re-sign at a higher interest rate because of delay and increase in rates).
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - Linda/nj on 4/23/05 8:50am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - Amanda/VA on 4/23/05 8:57am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - Linda/nj on 4/23/05 9:09am
 Not a "closing agent" - Bobbi in CT on 4/23/05 9:56am
 Re: Not a "closing agent" - Linda/NJ on 4/23/05 10:02am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to com -  PAW_Fl on 4/23/05 10:33am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to com -  Stephen_VA on 4/23/05 10:52am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to com - PAW_Fl on 4/23/05 2:11pm
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - Ted_MI on 4/23/05 9:31am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - PA Notary on 4/23/05 9:43am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - Linda/nj on 4/23/05 9:50am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - Linda/NJ on 4/23/05 9:57am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - Linda/NJ on 4/23/05 9:46am
 Re: Closing instructions/Failure of the closing agent to comply. - Linda/NJ on 4/23/05 10:33am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.