Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: General notary work
Posted by  Marian_in_CA of CA on 7/31/10 12:59pm Msg #347157
Nobody comes to my home, either. My business license is restricted as a "mobile" business -- which means clients don't come to my home. I always tell people, and it's the truth, that because of city zoning rules I can't have people come to my home. Most everyone understands that.

I charge a flat travel/service fee $10 per signature -- but I'm also flexible depending on the situation. If it's clear that the person doesn't want to pay the travel fee, I will happily refer them to the closest place where I know a notary is on staff.

I always ask them first if they're a member of AAA. That's always the best way to go --- and in SoCal, a LOT of people are AAA members. Regular members pay $7/signature. Plus members pay $4, and Premier members don't pay anything (up to 10 signatures a day).

That said, I will sometimes offer to meet them somewhere and not charge a travel fee if it's convenient. Let's say I was needing to run to the grocery store anyway... I'd offer to meet them somewhere a long the way, and I would not charge a travel fee.

I highly prefer general notary work over loans -- which makes me a bit different than many here. I have no problems doing loans... I'm just getting tired of the games the companies play and the lack of respect. Loans involve a LOT of work and companies just aren't willing to foot the bill to cover it -- they treat us like employees or slaves and not the professionals that we are.

The key for mobile work... at least in California.... is to make sure you're making people VERY clear that you're charging a travel//service fee or a notarization fee... keep them distinct... and not just charge a lump sum. To do so could put your commission at risk for overcharging. When I issue receipts, I always separate out travel/service fees. Even if I don't charge for a notarization on top of the service fee.... I write it out and be sure to put $0.00 or N/C. I don't want anyone thinking I'm overcharging.

When I go to jails/courthouses where I charge simply for my time... I still issue receipts that itemize each notarized document, followed by the $0 or N/C. When I'm hired by the hour, everything is included, no matter the number of notarizations. I had an attorney who had me come to the courthouse just yesterday --- he hired me for 3 hours to notarize documents for several different clients. Half the time I just sat in the attorney room waiting --- no big deal to me, I was on his clock. I think I notarized about 8 signatures total.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 General notary work -  kmontyCA on 7/31/10 1:24am
 Re: General notary work -  JanetK_CA on 7/31/10 4:12am
 Re: General notary work -  Ilene C. Seidel on 7/31/10 5:02am
 Re: General notary work - CopperheadVA on 7/31/10 5:38am
 Re: General notary work -  MW/VA on 7/31/10 7:08am
 Re: General notary work - Cari on 7/31/10 7:49am
 Re: General notary work - JulieD/KS on 7/31/10 9:08am
 Re: General notary work -  jba/fl on 7/31/10 9:25am
 Re: General notary work -  James Dawson on 7/31/10 9:52am
 Where's Laura V. now that we actually need her? n/m -  Les_CO on 7/31/10 10:55am
 Laura Vestanen -  Joan Bergstrom on 8/1/10 10:58pm
 Re: General notary work - Mary Ellen Elmore on 7/31/10 10:59am
 Re: General notary work - parkerc/ME on 7/31/10 12:49pm
 Re: General notary work - CopperheadVA on 7/31/10 1:03pm
 Re: General notary work -  Marian_in_CA on 7/31/10 12:59pm
 Re: General notary work -  James Dawson on 7/31/10 1:20pm
 And as for forms... -  Marian_in_CA on 7/31/10 1:31pm
 I don't do forms....my reason being if... -  James Dawson on 7/31/10 1:57pm
 Re: I don't do forms....my reason being if... -  Marian_in_CA on 7/31/10 2:25pm
 Re: General notary work - LKT/CA on 8/1/10 1:12am
 Re: General notary work - ikando on 8/1/10 8:54pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.