Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Learned Something New Today....
Posted by AnneSoCa of CA on 7/27/05 1:02pm Msg #55094
I received a package for a refi. I was told the borrower, who was male, was the only signer. When I looked at the package, there was an Interspousal Grant Deed with his wife's name on it for notarization. When I called the borrower to let him know that his wife would need to be present to sign the deed (and one other doc), he said he didn't understand since she isn't on the title to the house nor has she ever been. He said she probably wouldn't be at the signing.

I wasn't sure why the lender wanted her to sign -- the house was listed as John Doe, a married man, as his sole and separate property. Her name wasn't anywhere else, not on the DOT, TIL or on the RTCs.

Anyway, luckily the wife was at the house and I convinced them that they should probably have her sign since there was most likely a reason why the lender had that document in the package.

Always wanting to learn more, when I dropped the docs off at escrow this morning, I asked why there was an Interspousal Grant Deed given the fact that the wife has never been on title. They told me that because his previous loan was listed as John Doe, a SINGLE man as his sole property and the new loan was as a MARRIED man as his sole and separate property, the lender needed to get the wife's permission to have the deed listed that way.

I'm relatively new, so this may be a no-brainer to more experienced SA's, but for anyone who didn't know, hopefully this will help if you come across the same situation in the future.

SO glad I convinced her sign the doc!!!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Learned Something New Today.... - AnneSoCa on 7/27/05 1:02pm
 Re: Learned Something New Today.... - TitleGalCA on 7/27/05 3:50pm
 Re: Learned Something New Today.... - Lee/AR on 7/27/05 4:40pm
 Re: Learned Something New Today.... - AnneSoCa on 7/27/05 6:26pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.