Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Getting clarity on Net Neutrality, as deadline nears...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 12/10/17 2:08am Msg #587383
There's lots more to it than that. What you're talking about is the data speed that individual ISP customers choose for their internet access, kind of like freeway (highway) 'on-ramps'. Net neutrality addresses the 'off-ramps'. Without it, ISPs can control how fast or slow traffic will be on that exit and can block access to some 'off-ramps' altogether for their subscribers.

It would be as if you owned a mom and pop grocery store right at a freeway exit. Then Walmart decided to open a store at the next off ramp, then paid the freeway (Internet Service Provider) to close your off-ramp to their subscribers. I imagine it would be a matter of software rather than switches thrown... Wink

Here's the pertinent info from the first link I provided above:

How do FCC rules protect the Open Internet?

The FCC's Open Internet rules protect and maintain open, uninhibited access to lawful online content. The rules specifically prohibit:

Blocking: Broadband providers may not block access to lawful content, applications, services or non-harmful devices.
Throttling: Broadband providers may not deliberately target some lawful internet traffic to be delivered to users more slowly than other traffic.
Paid prioritization: Broadband providers may not favor some internet traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind. Internet service providers are also banned from prioritizing content and services of their affiliates.

The key word in the first sentence above is "content". By way of example, I read somewhere that at one point, one ISP (Comcast?) was considering going into the video streaming business, so they tried - or considered - blocking Netflix (or something similar) from their subscribers because it was a competitor. It's possible that this was what triggered the current net neutrality regulations. Sorry for being vague, but I don't remember the details and don't want to post inaccurate information. It's the concept, though, not the details that matter here anyway.

I hope this makes sense...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Getting clarity on Net Neutrality, as deadline nears... - JanetK_CA on 12/8/17 11:29pm
 Re: Getting clarity on Net Neutrality, as deadline nears... - Luckydog on 12/9/17 6:47pm
 Re: Getting clarity on Net Neutrality, as deadline nears... -  JanetK_CA on 12/10/17 2:08am
 Re: Getting clarity on Net Neutrality, as deadline nears... - MikeC/TX on 12/10/17 4:20pm
 Re: Getting clarity on Net Neutrality, as deadline nears... -  ProntoGirl on 12/11/17 3:00am
 Thanks! Most informative article I've seen on this yet: -  JanetK_CA on 12/11/17 3:35am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.